“Best Sunsets I've Ever Seen!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ezulwini Game Lodges

Ezulwini Game Lodges
Queens
“Best Sunsets I've Ever Seen!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

A perfect winter in the bush of South Africa ... it was easy to spot animals without having to look through all the leaves. No bugs either - to be honest the winter was not that cold. Taking a blanket on the drives was helpful in the early morning and late evening hours. The staff was filled with beautiful, friendly, and kind hearted people who couldn't wait to help you!!! I've been around the world and this was by far my most moving, memorable, and humbling trip! To be surrounded by a family of elephants and watch lions feed their cubs was just - well, it still has me at a loss for words!!

Ohh & the meals - all freshly made home cooking family style :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MissInternational080

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Conroe, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at Ezulwini's River Lodge for two nights and then at Billy's Lodge for three nights. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like family! Glory our hostess as well as Joe, always greeted us with a smile and made sure that our needs were met. Our tracker/guide, Lawrence and Richard, were incredible. They made sure that we had great experiences daily, often taking us in the bush as we tracked the animals. The River Lodge is more quaint and cozy with sightings of elephants right there next to the lodge.
Billy's Lodge is quite larger and more spread out. I felt that I was dropped right into the middle of the South African bush! We sighted warthogs, zebra, and even giraffe right off the back side of the lodge. Our hostess, Tandy, was gracious and accommodating. Our guide/tracker, Rex and Franz, were fantastic. We learned a lot about the various animals that we saw thanks to their knowledge. The food at both lodges was great with breakfast being made to order. The rooms were comfortable and well maintained. I would highly recommend Ezulwini Game Lodges as THE place to go and look forward to my next visit there!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nancy P
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

There are 2 Ezulwini Lodges and both are wonderful! A friend and I spent 2 nights at The River Lodge and 3 nights at Billy's Lodge - we could not have been happier. The staff are absolutely amazing! At River Lodge our tracker was Richard and our guide was the fantastic Lawrence. We then were thrilled to have Franz serve as tracker and Rex as our guide at Billy's. It is critical that you pick accommodations with experienced and knowledgeable guides AND access to the surrounding private reserves.

The River Lodge is small and intimate - you'll get to know the staff well. Make sure you meet Glory and Joe. Billy's Lodge is larger and offers more to do but you can't go wrong with either. Food is tremendous and again - the service is unbeatable!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marianne F
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We began our 2 week safari through South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe with a 4 night stay at Ezulwini. We started with 2 nights at the River Lodge and then 2 nights at Billy's lodge. We absolutely loved our stay. The highlight for our family of 4 (2 boys ages 10 and 12) were our guides. Greg at River lodge was amazing and seemed to know exactly how to position the vehicle to get the best photos. He is a brilliant photographer as well. Rex at Billy's was extremely skilled. Our trackers were awesome as well and all business when it came to spotting game.
The lodges food was excellent, the rooms immaculate, and they treated my entire family like royalty. They were extremely accommodating to our two young boys as well. I will try to include photos after they load but I would strongly urge anyone considering a Safari to look closely at Ezulwini. I don't believe that you can do better. They have an awesome facebook page that is constantly updated with the days game drives. In 4 days at the resorts, we saw leopard, cape buffalo, lion and cubs, elephant, zebra, giraffe, impala, white rhino (just missed seeing the black when we moved to Billy's Lodge), fish eagle, and a plethora of other birds and smaller game. I am just speechless.
Ezulwini set a tough standard for the other lodges on our vacation to match.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room at River's Lodge which had an adjoining room with a pull out bed fo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Rob C
Webster Groves, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed at Ezulwini's River Lodge for two nights and then at Billy's Lodge for two nights, and while River Lodge seems a bit more upscale and both have friendly staff who go out of their way for you, I felt a better connection with the staff at River Lodge.

Our drivers and trackers went out of their way to try to find the animals we wanted to see on morning and afternoon game drives. I am very fair-skinned so I was really happy that our game drive vehicles had awnings. Almost all, if not all, of the other lodge vehicles we encountered on game drives did not have them, and I would have burnt to a crisp! We saw so many animals on the first afternoon drive that I starting making a list and stopped at 31 animals/birds. We saw the big 5 and so much more! I would go back and stay longer next time!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mizrenaissance
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

For our first trip to Africa, a friend recommended Ezulwini for a safari experience. Booking the safari was easy and Tess gave travel tips. My travel agent accidentally flew us into Nelspruit instead of Hoedspruit. I was concerned about the three hour drive and the hassle of renting a car, but neither were a big deal. Hindsight, we enjoyed having a car. One day after our morning safari, we drove into Kruger National Park. It was a different experience, but one we loved. We saw large groups of animals 100+ and more. The park was easy to navigate through.
This is what I wrote Laurens, the owner of Ezulwini:
Thank you so very much for taking such good care of us during our visit. I can not thank Greg enough for driving William and I to the hospital. Despite all the illnesses, my kids and I managed to have an incredible time in your country. A large part of this was due to you and your staff. Dekin and the women who cleaned our rooms made us feel at home. Lerence Wati and Conrad Khoza made our safariing fun and entertaining. The people who prepared our food did an amazing job keeping us well fed and Tandy was helpful.
Thanks again for your wonderful hospitality!

Room Tip: My daughter and I upgraded at Billy's lodge- I highly recommend during this. Our room was very c...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Passionateexplorer
Breckenridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I had won the trip at a charity auction and my girlfriend and I went at the end of May. It was the beginning of their winter and a slow time as we were the only people at both River and Billy's Lodge. Words can not describe our time at Ezulwini. The game drives are incredible. We saw tons of animals including the Big 5 and the very rare Wild Dogs. Our driver Lawrence and Tracker Conrad made our trip. They were funny, knowledgeable and did as much as they could to make our game drives enjoyable. One evening we saw all of the Big 5 on one three hour drive. It was an incredible experience. Thank you Lawrence and Conrad!!! We will never forget you!

The staff at the lodges are very kind and help with anything you need. When you are not on a game drive, you are eating! They feed you non stop! The food was very good as well. Another thing that was awesome was that housekeeping would do our laundry without even asking. We just made a pile of our dirty clothes and when we came back from our evening game drive, our clothes would be washed and folded. So awesome.

Stop reading the reviews and book your trip NOW. It was the trip of a lifetime for my girlfriend and I. Ezulwini will always have a special place in our hearts.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge
#2 of 2 in Balule Nature Reserve
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Camp
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Cam...
#2 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve
#11 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve
Pondoro Game Lodge
Pondoro Game Lodge
#3 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve

Been to Ezulwini Game Lodges? Share your experiences!