“Surpassed my expectations. ”

Ezulwini Game Lodges
“Surpassed my expectations. ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

My only wish is that it didn't take so long to get here. I would come every year. The staff treated us like family. They made my birthday the best birthday I ever had. The ultra luxury suite almost seems sinful. Food out of this world, especially the kudu.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jayjustjay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I couldn't have imagined a better experience! We stayed 2 nights at River Lodge and 2 nights at Billy's Lodge during the third week of January. The weather was perfect! I appreciated what each lodge had to offer. Both lodges provided exceptional hospitality! I found them both very comfortable, relaxing and clean. The staff was so welcoming and incredibly friendly throughout our stay. The rangers and trackers provided an incredible adventure during the game drives, making sure we saw the Big 5 and so much more! The drives could be quite exhilarating; but, also quite peaceful. They are very passionate and informative, sharing stories of their personal experiences. They made sure we slowed down and appreciated all that we were surrounded by - the birds, the land, the peace and quiet, the sunsets. Attention was given to every detail throughout our stay. Every meal was fantastic - so delicious and presented beautifully! The coffee service before/during the drives was appreciated. After each drive, we were greeted back at the lodge with a cool washcloth and either juice or a small cocktail. It was quite unexpected to be invited down into the wine cellar at Billy's to enjoy a conversation with Lauren and a glass of Pinotage - that was a very nice touch! The only negative comment...if the pools had been of importance to me, I would've been disappointed. The water wasn't very clear, especially at River Lodge. My husband did swim at Billy's for a bit without concern. Although we didn't use it, Billy's does have a small weight-lifting area. Although it was slow, internet service was available at both lodges and stable enough that I was able to make skype calls to our children. Thank you to everyone at Ezulwini for a remarkable experience!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peggy1028
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I recently went to Ezulwini Billy's lodge and really felt the need to express how much I enjoyed my stay and I also really wanted to communicate my gratitude and thanks to all the staff involved in making the experience truly unforgettable and enjoyable. In fact, it was an all rounded incredible experience, from the cleanliness, food (the beef poitjie stew was amazing!), facilities, hospitality and importantly for me the absolute sincerity and high standards of the place as a whole. It is an authentic bush experience, and I haven't relaxed so much on a holiday in years!! It is impossible not to. The surroundings are absolutely exquisite, you can relax at the swimming pool if you like and there is an incredible sky walk that leads you into the bush away from everything where you can comfortably sit and read a book or immerse yourself in the amazing view and the nature all around you. The game drives were an adventure with the tracker in the front of the vehicle looking for prints and the game-ranger who opened a world of incredible facts and stories about this magical place. Thank you Ezulwini for such a memorable time, and I Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pumpkinpip
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We spent 5 nights at Ezulwini Billy's Lodge and I find it difficult to find the words to describe our experience. I chose 'Unexpected' because no matter what I thought I was walking into, my wildest dreams could not have come up with this amazing location. Beautiful, luxurious, wild, and pristine. The accommodations were as good as any I've ever stayed at around the World. Then the staff made the entire experience 'Unforgettable'. Billy's Lodge has what I can only describe as an extended family at the helm. I miss our hostess Glory's smile and voice already, and Aubrey's exuberant greeting and laugh echoes easily in my memories. Tracker Frans, in addition to his amazing talents with the animals in the bush, makes a very welcoming cup of coffee each morning, and along with Rex, our veteran guide in the bush, made each and every safari outing unforgettable and FUN. The accolades could go on and on, but the bottom lines is simply GO!

Room Tip: The Ultra Luxury Suites really are worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Allison B
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

We spent 4 days at Ezulwini and our experience was outstanding. Billy's Lodge is charming and luxurious (esp considering it's out in the bush), Lauren and her staff are attentive and welcoming and the safari drives are exhilarating and peaceful depending on whether you are discovering magnificent African animals or simply enjoying the fresh air and beautiful land, birds and company. Our trackers were very knowledgeable and made every effort to show us a good time and find the Big 5 (we did). The food and wine were delicious...Billy's Lodge has a beautiful wine cellar and one evening we were entertained by the staff with local song, dance and traditional BBQ. Animals come right up to the lodge...it's magical. We hope to return again with our children next time (suggested age over 12).

Room Tip: Deluxe suites are beautiful and include outdoor shower & small private pool. There is also a la...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Wellington, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

While we have traveled extensively throughout the world this was our first trip to Africa and we didn't really know what to expect in the Bush as they say. The first thing i would say is that the Ezulwini accommodations far exceeded what i thought we would have to deal with in the bush. We are talking 5 star here. We stayed in the deluxe rooms which i would highly recommend. The beds were especially comfortable and the rooms very large with indoor and outdoor showers. The rooms are very quiet and secluded.
The service was Ritz-Carlton like in terms of attention to detail and genuine desire to make sure we had everything we ever needed. The food was excellent and frankly probably too much. They had a barbecue night with the staff singing and dancing. We were blown away... Oh and for those of you into fine wines - they have a fantastic wine cellar and wine tasting night.

We also had the good fortune to have the best tracker with us for most of the trip and we were able to see the big 5 - eElephants, Rhino's, Giraffe, Leopard and Lions. They even took us on a nature walk and taught us how to "track." Every night when we returned from the safari we were greeted with a hot towel and a night cap. Very easy to get accustomed.

We will surely return to theKruger and i can't imagine staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: they have two types of rooms - standard and deluxe. The deluxe are the way to go if you can afford i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Ezulwini totally exceeded my expectations in so many ways; the staff, the lodges, the food and of course, the wildlife.

I consider myself pretty well traveled, and this is definitely on my top 5 list of places I have visited.

Some highlights:

Both lodges are 5 star for bush accomodations; very quiet and comfortable, beautiful thatched buildings and the communal spaces for eating :many wonderful decks also for hanging out & reading and watching passing wildlife.

The people! I can't say enough good things about everyone working at Ezulwini: the service is prompt, personalized and friendly: we were treated like royalty! Some standouts: Joe, who went above and beyond at all times: even to the point of going to the trouble to organize a special dinner in the bush for our last night. Eddie was one step ahead of us and always had a cold beer ready at just the right moment. Then, of course Gloria, the hostess with the mostess, made us feel right at home at Billy's lodge even when we were already missing our new friend's from River Lodge! The owner, Lawrence, also was extremely generous with his unique wine cellar!

The wildlife: breathtaking! Our ranger & trackers were truly unbelievable getting us up close and personal with a variety of animals, whilst totally being in tune with the animals so it was a good experience for everyone. A special shout out to Greg & Richard here, they made each drive unique and less about "just the big five" which allowed us to spot some really rare species.

The week at Ezulwini, was the most relaxing experience I can imagine, combined with sheer joy at observing magnificent wildlife in their native environment. Go there now!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kapama Buffalo Camp
Kapama Buffalo Camp
#1 of 4 in Kapama Private Game Reserve
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Camp
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Cam...
#2 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,027 reviews
Ku Sungula Safari Lodge
Ku Sungula Safari Lodge
#11 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
#1 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve

Been to Ezulwini Game Lodges? Share your experiences!