“May, great time to visit.”

Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I had the opportunity to spend 4 days and 3 nights here in early May and couldn't be happier. The weather was spectacular, very un-crowded and practically no bothersome bugs. The staff, food and property were fantastic. If you have the opportunity take advantage of having a massage, especially after bouncing around in the jeeps for a couple of days. I had the opportunity with going out two different Driver/Tracker teams while I was there. Both had years of experience working in the park and approached there game drives entirely different. Don't be afraid to ask them to hunt for a specific animal. When we'd all seen and had enough of the Big 5, Giraffe, Impala etc., I mentioned I'd never seen and a Jackal or a Hyena and they found them that day. Also and this is important, the drivers from all the local camps are in communication with each other and share their sighting info giving you a much better chance seeing some great things. My only complaint is that the beds were hard, but I stayed in 4 different locations in So. Africa and they were all hard so maybe it's a South Africa thing.

Room Tip: Huts 2-7 are the best and share the semi-circle of the main camp. Hut 1 is tucked away in the back a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I came to Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge after being in West Africa for 6 weeks. My first night that I arrived I was greeted with such warmth and professionalism. A few hours later though I started to feel ill. I told one of the managers how I was feeling and that I'd been in West Africa for the last 6 weeks so I should be tested for Malaria. She agreed 100%. She called for a Medical Service to come directly to my room that night. She brought me hot water bottles and sat and talked with me while we waited for the responder to arrive. I was traveling by myself and was grateful to have someone to help me with this burden. She stayed with me when I asked her to through the exam and when the test came back positive for Malaria she stayed calm and said that she'll take care of everything. She and the owner of the lodge drove me to the best hospital for treating Malaria which was 1 1/2 hours away. It was 11:00pm at night by this time but they didn't seem to care. They were kind to me the whole way assuring me that I'd be in great hands at the hospital and that there was nothing to worry about. They stayed until I was all checked in and were kind enough to keep all of my valuables with them since it wouldn't have been safe for me to keep them at the hospital. Everyday someone from the lodge would check in on me to see how I was doing which was so kind when I knew how busy they were. When it was time for me to be released the owner came and picked me up on his day off that he was spending with his family that had come into town. This was another 3 hour round trip drive for him. Luckily there was an opening for a couple of weeks at the lodge so I stayed there and the staff looked after me while I was finishing my recovery. I didn't have to worry about anything, they took care of everything and made sure I was comfortable. Above all else, they cared. From the driving, to the meals, to the check-ins, they genuinely were worried about me and wanted me to get better. Needless to say I am so deeply impressed with the kindness and sincerity that I was shown at this lodge. The staff became my friends as well over the long time that I was lucky enough to stay there and I look forward to when I can come back and stay again with my family at Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. My favorite part is the outdoor shower that overlooks into beautiful na...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Travelwithtab
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Excellent stay, great game viewing. Food very good although no choice, might be an idea to have choice between 2 options even if just on main (pre choose previous day) - all in all very happy. Guide and tracker very knowlegable. If game is not plentyfull they should consider a few more stops at interesting areas to explain a bit about a bird / tree / rocks / riverbed or whatever might be of interest to a visitor. Also night drives very interesting but a bit too long especially if there are young ones, so I would prefer sundowners at sunset, then max 30 min drive back as opposed to 60 min plus.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Spend two nights as this lodge. It's relatively small scale, max 22 people, which gives a personal atmosphere to this lodge. The rondavel is very nice and clean; loved the outside shower. Lunch and dinner is very good. The location is perfect, right in the middle of the Balule Game Reserve. The game drives are just fantastic. What I particularly liked is that they to not just fill up their jeeps with people. We went out with three jeeps, whereas the group might just have fitted in one jeep. This gives everyone a better opportunity to see more. Saw the Big 5 here. Brilliant stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We have 3 kids and enjoy visiting the bush . Mohlabetsi stands out as one of the best we've attended purely based on the friendliness and "nothing's too much" attitude from staff and game rangers. We stayed 3 nights and my kids already want to go back. Being a small lodge, interaction with other guests is easy and fun. Well done guys and keep it up!

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This lodge is fantastic. Service is great, lovely home cooked food. Anya made us feel so welcome and Sam and Lucky the ranger and tracker fantastic.
Saw a leopard stalking impala at night and nine lion cubs with their mother.
The lodge caters to all your needs- comfortable, clean, the showers look into the bush- would recommend a shower under the stars!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Friendly staff and extremly experienced guides. Stayed only 1 night with 2 drive sand managed to see lionesses getting ready for a hunt and a majestic eleopard feeding. Extraordinary experience. Strongly ercommended

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kapama Buffalo Camp
Kapama Buffalo Camp
#2 of 4 in Kapama Private Game Reserve
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Camp
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Cam...
#3 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
#1 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
#1 of 14 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve

Been to Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!