From the time we landed at the Hoedspruit Airport, we were treated like royalty. Tony, the general manager, met us personally, loaded our gear and we headed towards what was to become the most wondrous time of my life. When we turned off the main road and onto the dirt track, leading to the reserve, I looked around at the stark dusty dry surroundings and thought it was like being on the moon. How could anything live here? Oh was in for a surprise! We topped a small rise and came around some large thorn scrub and there were giraffe. I was so excited and breathless to finally see them as was intended...in the wild! Over the next 3 days we had fabulous game drives both in the mornings and evenings. the staff was so attentive to any and all needs. We had a sight impaired traveler with us and the staff offered all the assistance with helping her around the lodge area and with getting into and out of the game vehicles, thus allowing the others in our group of 6 to relax and enjoy the lodge and drives as well.
The rooms were spacious, clean, and the air conditioning worked well! All big pluses. The outdoor shower for each room was well walled and spacious. It was great to be able to jump in and cool off after a dust drive. The boma (place where we ate dinners) was very lovely and looked out over the plain towards a water hole. The food was extremely well done and there was always a treat for the end of each meal.
The guides and trackers were very knowledgeable and did a superb job in getting us out to see the game and have a care for our safety. The game was great and we saw the BIG 5 in the first 24 hrs we were there. It is a small safari lodge and can accommodate about 20 guests at a time. They are set up to provide wedding and honeymoon destination for small parties, or host the small travel groups with the utmost care professionalism. They are one of only two places I plan to return to when I head back to South Africa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are situated in the vast Balule Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger Park. Get close up to the Big 5 & other animals on vehicle safaris & walks. Luxurious accommodation in a small, privately owned camp, excellent meals & South African hospitality at an extremely affordable price. Easy access via self-drive or daily flights & shuttles from Johannesburg. Relax around a swimming pool & enjoy aroma-therapy massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mohlabetsi Safari Hotel Balule Private Game Reserve
- Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge South Africa/Kruger National Park