Kapama Buffalo Camp
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Kapama Karula(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
  • Pool
Toro Yaka Bush Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
  • Pool
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
Hippo Pools Resort(Hoedspruit)
View Hotel
Garonga Safari Camp(Makalali Private Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewson stiltsgame drivesthree nightsour honeymoona hot water bottleguide christented roomshardwood floorsthe reserverain showersafari experiencewine selectionnespresso machineafrican bushfire pitamazing tripprivate balcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I could write pages and pages about our stay at the Buffalo camp! It was absolutely amazing. It was my partner's first time in South Africa and I couldn't have been more pleased with our experience!
The reception was warm and friendly. We were shown around and we were given all the information we needed to get the most out of our stay.
Our tent ( luxury tent with a king size bed, bath, shower and air con) was beautiful and even has a veranda with a view into the park with birds and Impalas hanging around our "back door".
The food was lovely, more than enough to choose from and they even do proper vegetarian meals ( as in lentil pie and not just vegetables. . . )
Then there were the game drives! We got to see the big 5 and soooo much more and the guide and tracker went out of their ways to get to the animals. Our ranger, Collen, was full of information about the animals and we enjoyed his company and 'lectures' to no end.
The Buffalo camp is small and intimate and they show off true South African hospitality and friendliness in a wonderfully African setting.
We will be back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

As a relatively experienced "game lodger" I must recommend Kapama Buffalo Camp ! For me the food is as important as the game viewing... maybe my Belgian roots... I have lived in Johannesburg for 23 years and take business and family visitors and also myself to mostly private game lodges in South Africa. Dinner and lunch at Kapama was fantastic and sophisticated.. Breakfast was also really good but can improve - maybe to serve some freshly bakes different breads... not only the SA toast .... and Continental Europeans don't eat eggs every morning unlike our Anglo-Saxon brothers.... the game viewing was fantastic ... lions having dinner..... the works ... spotted the big four and looked hard for the elusive leopard ...rooms are really fantastic with each room having their own Wi-Fi.... superb !! staff excellent - so I'd give it a 8.5 to 9/10 - one other matter (and the lodge can do nothing about it ) is the relatively close proximity to the main road (and railway) and if the wind blows the wrong way you can hear traffic rushing by... but then again totally out of the lodge's control !! Well done to Kapama team there ! The Swedes loved and raved about it !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bob V
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is officially the closest I’ve been to the wild, and I live in Africa.

Kamapa’s entrance gate is 9 meters from the Hoedspruit Airport exit gate. Each new arrival gets a single ranger to greet them at the airport and get them back to camp, and you then have that ranger (and his tracker) assigned to you throughout your stay. You therefore get to know each other during the safaris, and are able to create a great friendship!

We stayed at the Buffalo Camp, an tented lodge where you stay in a very exclusive tent, and no luxuries are spared. This camp hosts only about 20 people, and you get to know fellow travellers at breakfast, lunch and dinner. You have a mini bar should you wish to use it, a Nespresso machine, airconditioning, and the most beautiful views from your bed, bath and shower. The camp facilities include a pool, boma where you can have dinner around a camp fire, as well as a bar to relax at.

The menu is a bit limited, but one must take into consideration that this is quite some driving distance to get fresh produce. And what I mean by limited does not mean that the choice of 3 meals they give you is not very tasty – if anything, I went back for seconds at every buffet offered!
The game rangers and tracker make or break the game drives. You have 2 drives each day – on in the morning before breakfast and one at night. A huge thanks to Joe van Rensburg and Foster for showing us ab absolutely wonderful time! They had 6 people to cater for – 3 South Africans, one Brit and a honeymoon couple from Switserland who could, for all practical purposes, not really understand English, but still managed to entertain everyone! A coffee and rusks break in the mornings, and sundowners at night, made for great breaks to talk to the other travellers and get to know them as well.

We, within 48 house, saw everything Kamapa had to offer except the leopard. The game rangers are in constant contact with each other, and we once almost missed dinner (due to our own request) because of Joe’s dedication to give us the best possible experience.
If I as a South African enjoyed it this much, I reckon the foreigners cannot afford to miss this. We went to the Kruger after we were here, which we also enjoyed, but it was a completely different experience.

This was truly something magical which I can easily promote to anyone, local and foreign, to put on their ‘must see’ list.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest from the pool will be more quite, but it is marginal. All rooms are actually great!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I spent 5 nights at Buffalo Camp in the Lion Tent. The service from check in to check out was superb. Everyone was accommodating, professional, and genuinely nice. The accommodations were outstanding, with hot water bottles in my bed each and every night. Food was outstanding too as was, for me of course, a good a selection at the bar.

However, the greatest part of the camp were: The animals. I saw the Big Five more times then I can count. Lions just ambling along, eating their kills was great. The highlight for me was seeing a Cheetah chase down and kill an impala. It was like National Geographic live. Of course we saw the elephant, rhino, and hippos. We did see a Leopard, twice, however they are so quick and elusive, photographs were difficult.

If you are thinking of staying here, I cannot give it a greater recommendation. It is definitely worth it and every cent more.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CassieKat306
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were at Kapama for a total of 5 nights, with the first 3 nights at the buffalo camp. It was incredible, not only for the location and amenities, but also for the service and friendliness of the staff. Being up on a tented platform was a phenomenal experience, and we had monkeys running across our balcony two of the mornings we stayed there. The inside of the tents was the luxury you would expect from a five star resort, with all the comforts of home (A/C most importantly to us).

The meals were exceptional, with the dinners around the boma feeling quite special. We got to know the staff, especially Jabu, who told us stories about his own experiences in South Africa and Kapama. All of the staff knew your names, and took real pride in helping you with anything you needed.

But the real reason anyone goes to South Africa is for the safari game drives, which were truly amazing. Now I will say that it was our first time on safari, and being that Kamapa was a private game reserve, I thought it was the perfect place for first timers like ourselves. Our guides were Joe and Foster, who went above and beyond to show us not only the big five, but also any other wildlife in the area. They were so knowledgeable and answered any questions we had. I could not recommend these two highly enough.

One of the truly special things about having Joe as your guide is that he is only one of a handful of guides at Kapama that can do game walks with the big five. He took us off of the vehicle (with his rifle, of course), and we walked through the bush up to the animals. During our visit we not only saw the big five from the vehicle, but we also got to see three of them (rhino, elephant, & cape buffalo) on three separate bush walks with Joe! It was amazing! We were literally 100 yards away from a group of 5 rhinos. A once in a lifetime experience.

I could not recommend the Buffalo Camp highly enough. We also stayed at the Southern Camp, which was also great, but the Buffalo Camp was so much more intimate.

Room Tip: Ask for Joe and Foster!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple