I went to southern camp and the place is lovely. The food was good as was the safari experience. Unfortunately, however, we were unable to see cheetas, male lions, leopards or elephants. Despite every other group having seen most of these. It became obvious our ranger was inexperienced and unable to find what we wanted to see. Other rangers we talked to were surprised at our lack of game viewing. Other groups had even seen a pack of Lions kill a zebra right in front of them.
All in all it was a good experience but make sure you get an experienced ranger if you decide to go here.
One more criticism was that we booked a hot air balloon trip trough the camp on our second day there for our third day. Only to be notified that since we were staying another day we were being bumped in favor of other guests. In principle this is wrong, however practically we were unable to do the trip on the next day as we had an early transfer anyway. We were therefore unable to do the balloon trip. Very frustrating.
The safari experience was still a once in a lifetime experience and despite the few frustrations it was still a 4 out of 5 experience. Great food, friendly staff and in fairness to them they were very apologetic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kapama Southern Camp is the proud new addition to our Kapama Game Reserve family and is situated on the southern most section of the Kapama Private Game Reserve. It offers luxury safari accommodation, warm hospitality and friendly service in a tranquil setting which will satisfy even the most discerning nature lovers' taste. Relax in the lounge with a good book or just sit back and indulge in the breathtaking beauty of mother nature in all her splendour. Alternatively you can lazily lounge around our magnificent pool and deck area and stare into the vast African yonder, hopefully spotting some of the many animals that often pass in close proximity. If the African sun becomes too much to endure, a dip in the refreshing swimming pool will bring immediate relief, and the friendly barman will be on hand to spoil you with a tantalising cocktail.DiningBreakfast and lunches are normally served in the dining room with open sides, so you will always have nature just a few meters away while enjoying tasteful culinary creations from our qualified chefs . Dinner is served in the traditional outside Boma, again with nature as the backdrop and a starlit sky overhead creating the perfect setting.Southern Camp also boasts a fully equipped wine cellar where we stock only the finest wines from top South African vineyards in a perfectly humidified environment. All 15 standard suites at Southern Camp have full en-suite bathrooms with picture windows to enjoy the surrounding scenery and birdlife. Air conditioning, minibars and tea and coffee stations are standard in all suites of this five-star safari accommodation. Private patios offer the opportunity to enjoy relaxing sundowners, while game watching at the same time. Kapama Southern Camp also has 7 luxury suites. These 95 ㎡ luxury suites have their own private lap pool, inside and outside showers, large minibar, espresso machine and a romantic fireplace open to the bath and bedroom. Southern Camp offers 3 luxury Family Suites each with a lap pool and a separate connected bedroom for children with its own bath, shower, double vanity and outside patio. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Kapama Southern Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kapama Southern Camp Hotel Kapama Private Game Reserve
- Kapama Southern Camp Kapama Private Game Reserve, Kruger National Park, South Africa