“Lovely, authentic safari experience!”

and 1 more site!
Africa on Foot Camp
Basel, Switzerland
“Lovely, authentic safari experience!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights as a family of four. The day starts off with an early morning walk, and ends with a sunset safari drive. During the day is plenty of time to relax. From the treehouse, you may spot some wildlife as well.
The morning walks are very interesting. Even though you do not often see big game, the merit of bush walks lies in wealth of knowledge our excellent guide Enoch had to share about almost every bush, track or dung dropping we passed. Our tracker Enoch and Ranger Francois made a great team for the exhillarating sunset drives, which took us off the roads, and through the bush within very close proximity of the wildlife, including a lion pride. These close encounters are something you will probably not experience in Kruger, and make this camp so spectacular. Out of the Big 5, we did not see Buffalo at Africa on Foot (although they can be seen here, and we did see rare Wild Dogs). In terms of wildlife, Klaserie seemed a bit less dense than Kruger - if you want to see all the Big 5 and massive heards of Impala, spend a day or two in Kuger. Africa on Foot on the other hand offers a more authentic feel, with rough 4x4 rides, scenic sunset drinks and intense bush walks.
The lodging was very nice. We stayed in 2 person round huts, which were equipped simply but nicely. The outdoor shower also adds to the authenticity. The ready-made beds with warm water bottles and a bed-time story were lovely and exemplify the attention to detail that the housekeeping staff showed!
All guests at Africa on Foot (an average of 10 at any time during our stay) dine together. The food is great, and mixes familiar dishes with local cuisine, giving an authentic yet accessible South African dining experience. The evening were well spent around the campfire, and made for some great social time and storytelling.
The staff were all-around friendly, kind and helpful, and added to the experience of staying here.

Some points to think about: be sure to bring some books etc. for the daytime, since there is a lot of free time. Since the camp is located in the middle of the bush with no barriers, there are unfortunately (yet understandably) few opportunities to go for a little stroll around the camp. Just be prepared to spend some time with your family (or other travel partners) during the day!

Also, when self-driving to the camp, bear in mind that an SUV with elevated chasis is nearly obligatory, and 4x4 is probably recommended. The road can be a bit bumpy...

Overall, a fantastic experience - we were sad to leave this place. Africa on Foot really does take the motto 'Come as clients - Leave as friends' to heart! Our stay here really complemented our stay at Kruger, and one could definately combining several days at Africa on Foot with a few nights in the main Kruger park.

Room Tip: Some huts have outdoor showers only. This may be to your liking or not - we would recommend inquirin...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We travelled from Cape Town to Africa on Foot to take our American family on safari. After months of research and planning, Africa on Foot was simply the most bang for your buck. We flew through Hoedspruit airport, connecting through Johannesburg. An expensive option, but we would have had to rent a car and navigate a part of the country we just didn't know. But we arranged that we be picked up at the airport and truly, what a treat - just on the way to the lodge we had a mini-safari, seeing elephant and bokkies as we went.

We had our expectations when we arrived - we wanted no-frills, real African bush camp and some wifi for the family. Our reception was warm and personal, the game rangers greeted us and walked us through the camp to show us everything whilst we enjoyed a beverage. We went to our rooms and freshened up before returning to the main lodge for lunch and excitement as we knew that the first safari wasn't too much farther away! I won't expound upon every safari we took but we did see all of the big 5 and in one night, I'll tell you... these game rangers worked hard for us to find a leopard. Truly above and beyond and the result was just insane. Absolutely the most memorable night of this decade. It was raining with lightning - the sky was thick with clouds - the game ranger gave us the option: go back or trek and try to find the leopard. Everyone wanted the leopard - so despite the rain, we pushed on. It was night and it was dark but we did finally find the leopard ager hard driving and very close inspection of many bushes in which the leopard may be hiding. It was unbelievable to see this cat and the work we put into really made the reward worth it. So chuffed with ourselves, we started the drive home on the double-track. About five minutes later, a completely different leopard crossed the road right in front of us!! We all laughed, as we just couldn't believe that this was happening. We worked so hard for the first one and then this one just graced us with her presence, brief though it was. Now, all wet and getting a bit chilly from the damp, we carried on until we were just around the corner from the camp and believe it or not, ANOTHER leopard crossed our path. Now all of us were dumbfounded. Even the game ranger really couldn't believe that this was happening to us! I can tell you.. the dinner we had when we got back was perfect - now we were warm, eating nice hot potjie, listening to the sounds of the bush all around us, and recounting the tail of how we went into the lightning storm and were rewarded with three leopards.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We just spent 3 nights/4 days at Africa on Foot. We had a stupendous experience. The rooms were perfect. We spent one night sleeping in the tree house while elephants grazed below and lions could be heard grunting in the distance. Enoch was our tracker, and what a pair of eyes. Also very patient on our walks explaining the flora and fauna.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank valandboys
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Was referred to Africa on Foot by Jenman Safaris and could not have been more satisfied.

Great place, great people - including the guides (Francois and Patrick - thanks guys you are THE BEST), the cook(s), and the management/owners (Courtney)!

Very relaxing, clean, and comfortable environment.

Super experience - Thank you very much!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank M J A
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We spent 4 days here in February. I cannot imagine a better safari experience for the price. The guides were excellent spotters and trackers, as well as being friendly, professional, and very attentive. The accommodations were lovely, clean, and comfortable, the food was excellent, and all of the staff were great. On the morning walks we learned how to identify all of the local insects, the little 5, plants, animal tracks and more ("whose poop is this?"), which really gave a full picture of the ecosystem. We also were followed by a very inquisitive bull elephant, but the guides were very professional and organized and we never felt unsafe. In the evenings we spotted all of the big 5 plus giraffe, zebra, kudu, warthogs, hyenas, African painted dogs, birds, and of course about a million impalas).
This lodge is in the middle of nowhere, so you really feel like you have the place to yourself but they also share information about animal spotting with other lodges so you have better odds of seeing animals. And there is no fence, so you may get an elephant wandering through or drinking from the pool.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Allison B
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I just spent 3 days and 2 nights at Africa on Foot. It was a superb experience! How I got to choose AOF was a combination of factors. AOF does not charge a single supplement and thus was good for me- a solo traveller. They have an included bush walk- which was one activity that I wanted to do.
I read up on AOF- the reviews here and elsewhere; descriptions, what to expect. AOF was designed to be a great camp; not a luxury high priced lodge lodge. I read the average, poor, and terrible reviews and found that these clients were expecting something that AOF never promised.
I always review based on value. I must say that AOF is an incredible value. The cottage I was in was beautiful. I expected cobwebs (hey, its a cottage in the middle of nowhere) but I saw none. The bathroom was outdoors as described. The wash sink was also outdoors. I think it should be indoors next to the potty so we do not have to go out to wash out hands after doing the potty. This is just an opinion. There was an on demand water heater. It does heat the water real quick to a really hot temperature but it seems to run out quick. The trick was in balancing it with the cold water to keep the demand water heater running. The bed was very comfortable. They actually come and turn down the room for you. In the room you have a can of moskito repellent and an air horn just in case you get up close and personal with some wildlife.
Food- I never saw a tuna sandwich. They must have upgraded their food because the food was some of the best I have eaten in my trip to SA. Coffee, tea, and chocolate were easily available.
Charging-as mentioned in their website, you can charge your electronics at the dining area.
There was an elevated swimming pool which I did not use. Also a tree house which I was available to guest. Being alone, I elected not to use it.
The camp runs on solar energy. In my cottage, I had 3 watt LED lamps- 2 in the bedroom and 1 in the potty area. There was also an electric fan with a water mist function. I noticed that the switches for the fan and the lights were located a little bit on the low side. If you enter your room in the dark, you might not find it immediately.
The common area was simply but nicely decorated with a few reading materials and very comfortable chairs and couches.
The general surroundings were kept clean.
The service was excellent. I saw the big 5. Enoch came rushing on my second day at around 11 .am telling me to just put on a shirt and get my camera. Apparently they had tracked a leopard! So for that day, I got a bush walk, and 2 game drives! The next day, my last morning, he used all his tracking skills and managed to get the 3 of us who were leaving that morning to see a rhino. So I got the big 5 because the staff went beyond the call of duty. Only thing I missed was seeing a hippo.
Re. directions there. If you do book with AOF, they will sent you detailed instructions on how to get there. Two of their distances were a bit short (like - drive for 3.5 km- it should have been 3.8 km.) It makes you nervous after you passed the supposedly distance and still not see the turn off. Re. the road conditions, I had a small Honda Jazz. The road was not too bad. There were just some horizontal dirt mounds that were tall enough to scrape the bottom of my rental car. This despite driving real slow to avoid the car bouncing. Perhaps they can level these mounds somewhat. Another thing I can recommend is that they post signs along the way to reassure clients that they are on the right direction.
Overall AOF was a great value and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank bigwawao
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I wanted to take a group of South African friends on a safari experience that we would remember forever. Courtney and his team delivered on this expectation as they were superb hosts for a recent visit of ours to their Africa on Foot Camp in the Klaserie.

The camp has everything you need - clean and comfortable rooms which are serviced daily, sufficient areas for resting and unwinding, a bar for refreshments and delicious meals at every sitting. In addition, you can expect a "walking safari" in the morning and a "game drive / night drive" in the afternoon / evening.

What sets places like this apart from the rest is offering something unique and the service levels. Well, this place delivers on both counts with several unique experiences on offer. For example (availability-dependent), one can enjoy a night's sleep-out in the "tree-house", a highly recommended "excursion".

Regarding the service, Courtney not only runs an excellent lodge where great service is clearly a cornerstone, but he is also an extremely knowledgeable ranger who went the extra-mile to ensure we had a great safari experience. The other rangers who looked after us, Enoch and Faffa (Francois), were brilliant, offering us encounters with the bushveld and wildlife which most of us had never experienced before, despite our many visits to similar game parks in the past. One of our group had never seen a Leopard in the wild and the team of rangers displayed all their skills in tracking the Makulu Madoda Ingwe (large male leopard), which we saw on our final morning.

You may ask if there was anything that I didn't like? Well, I would have enjoyed slightly longer walks. Our walks were only around 2.5 hours in the morning but, in hind-sight and knowing the service levels of this team, I'm sure they can customise your visit (within reason) to match your expectations and requirements. I believe that Courtney will also soon be adding a more rustic experience that allows for much longer walks and an even closer encounter with the bush-veld.

As a local South African who enjoys the bush-veld and has experienced several safari options on offer across the country, I can certainly recommend this lodge.

Room Tip: The "Tjankbos" room which sleeps two (twin beds which can be pushed together or separated...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
#7 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve
Klaserie Sands River Camp
Klaserie Sands River Camp
#5 of 14 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve

Been to Africa on Foot Camp? Share your experiences!