After spending three nights in another Private Game Reserve in Londolozi in Sabi Sands and then two nights in Kruger National Park, I checked into Ngala Lodge. The wildlife viewing was difficult. It was the hot summer season and all the bush was overgrown so spotting was challenging. However, I had more success at Sabi Sands and in the park itself. If you're looking for super modern amenities like a cell signal, coffee maker, refrigerator, or in-room internet, this is not the place to go. If you're looking for a private terrace overlooking something beautiful while sipping coffee in your robe, this is also shouldn't be your first choice. However, the staff and the food made it extremely appealing. The grounds are not breathtaking. I was traveling solo, but a couple or family might have found the place to be very relaxing and low-key.
The staff was exceedingly pleasant and all addressed me by name. Few requests were unmet.
As for the wildlife, we did see five cheetah - something that evaded me the prior six nights at other places. That made it worth it. However, we never saw the breadth of wildlife that I experienced elsewhere. It had suddenly gotten very hot (at one point 45 degrees celsius) so being outside during the day time was pretty miserable for an American addicted to A/C. Our guide and trekker were very gracious and wanted us to have a great time.
There were a few inconveniences: a bug in a bottle of sherry left in my room that was never replaced, a broken safe that was never replaced, and transportation back to Hoedspruit that caused me to miss my flight to CPT.
All in all, if you're looking to be 'wowed' by a resort-like setting in the bush, I would choose staying in Sabi Sands. If you're looking to be in a remote area completely disconnected from the outside world, this is the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The romance and mystery of Africa come alive in 20 thatched cottages tucked under a dense canopy of tamboti trees at Ngala Safari Lodge. Exuding classical safari charm, the spacious veranda, with its wonderfully comfortable armchairs, looks out onto a popular waterhole. For pure indulgence, the Safari Suite offers an elegant sitting room, private swimming pool and exclusive use of a safari vehicle. Mouth-watering meals are served in the shade of an enormous weeping boerbean tree, while a large swimming pool lies on the edge of thick riverine woodland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your andBeyond Ngala Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ngala Safari Hotel Ngala Private Game Reserve
- AndBeyond Ngala Safari Lodge Ngala Private Game Reserve, Kruger National Park, South Africa