“Couldn't have been more perfect - Ngala is heaven in the bush.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngala Private Game Reserve
andBeyond Ngala Tented Camp
Boston
“Couldn't have been more perfect - Ngala is heaven in the bush.”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for four days at Ngala Tented Camp for part of our one-week vacation to South Africa and couldn't rave more about our experience there. JP was our game-drive ranger, and he and Jimmy (our tracker) found us EVERYTHING we had hoped to see: leopards, lions, cheetahs, hippos, warthogs (my personal favorite!), etc. Their knowledge of the bush and of the animals we were searching for (and frequently found) made the experience so incredible for us. We were lucky to have fantastic weather in what is meant to be their rainy season, but even this stroke of luck was far surpassed by the top-notch service of the staff at Ngala. Richard, Presence, Clare, Oscar - everyone - were wonderful stewards of our stay and made our four days there among the best we've had. I would go back yesterday if I could and would have rated it a ten out of five if given the chance. The food is delicious and abundant (I especially enjoyed all of the soups), the pool is very refreshing (we enjoyed a parade of elephants not 100 feet away from us as we lounged by the water one afternoon), the tents are such only in name - they have running water, electricity, a FABULOUS outdoor shower, and plenty of creature comforts, and the overall setting is remote and peaceful.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sabeline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Utah, USA
Reviewed 26 August 2008

I stayed at Ngala Tented Camp toward the end of June, wrapping up a short business trip to South Africa. I flew on Federal Air from JNB to the Ngala airstrip and had a wonderful drive back to the tented camp where I was greeted warmly, given a short overview of my stay, and headed directly out on a game drive with our ranger, tracker, and four other guests. The camp was delightful, the food wonderful, and the surroundings supremely relaxing. I only regretted my wife & children were not with me. However, I have another business trip coming up in a few weeks and am taking my wife with me - and we will return to Ngala for three nights. Of all the places I've visited in the world, it's the one place where I'm most excited to take her. I saw all the wonderful animals and was absolutely amazed at how close we get to them in the trucks! I almost felt lucky to have brought a poor digital camera, because I only took a few photos and spent most of my time watching the animals without a camera to my face. At night, in the tents, you can hear animals shuffling around and calling out during the night - it's very peaceful. I'm excited to go back.

St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Now this is my idea of camping. The tents were wonderfully appointed and the food was wonderful. Every staff member went out of their way to make you feel a part of the family. We saw every animal possible and our ranger and tracker were very knowledgeable - we also learned a lot about the area, animals, plants and people. A very special place.

• Liked — Luxury in the bush
  • Disliked — Not one thing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2008

Now this is camping my husband and I can enjoy! Seriously, what an amazing place. The tents are so lavish and comfortable you never want to leave.

Everyone is so friendly and willing to help you out with anything you may need during your stay at the camp. I actually came down with a 24 hour flu bug and everyone was so concerned and wanting to help, I really felt like I was with family. The chef even came to talk with me to see if he could make me anything special to eat! And he did! He prepared a special potato broth soup for me that was incredible.

Our guides Jeff and James were so knowledgable and worked so hard to find us the wildlife we wanted to see; it made the trip even that more special.

It was an amazing stay and totally exceeded our expectations. We can't wait to visit another CC Africa property. They really know how to do it right!

• Liked — It only had 6 tents so service was very personable
  • Disliked — No internet at the time.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 July 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 3-night stay at Ngala Tented Safari Camp and our entire experience there was absolutely wonderful! The service, the staff, the food, the game drives, the tent--they all far exceeded our expectations.

The tent is beautifully appointed and luxurious with a cozy bed, bath tub, and outdoor shower. Since it is winter there now, it got pretty cold in the evenings but between the heated sheets and the heater, we were very comfortable during each night of our stay (except when we heard lions roaring nearby, which we discovered the next morning is normal and nothing to be afraid of!).

We had the pleasure of going on game drives led by Ryan and Adam, who were simply fantastic. By our third drive (you are scheduled for two drives each day; one at 6:00am and one at 3:00pm) we had seen the big 5! It was our first safari experience and it was just amazing--in the first two days we came within 20 feet of a pride of 16 lions, saw a leopard and her cub, encountered a herd of elephants, followed giraffes, buffalo and rhinos into the bush...truly incredible.

I could go on and on about this camp! Bottom line, it is absolutely worth the cost and I would go back in a heartbeat. If you are looking for the perfect private safari experience, this is the place to be.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tlynette
California
Reviewed 26 June 2008

We had the most wonderful experience at Ngala's tented camp. We were a family of 4, but the experience is totally built for a romantic get-away. Although it's on the pricier end for safari, I highly recommend going with a private reserve like Ngala because the guides can take you off-road and track the more elusive animals.

Accommodation: Superb, the "tents" are more like luxurious cabins with heat and air conditioning. All clean and well maintained. It's even nicer than in the pictures. I could live there all year long. I won't give away all their special touches, but look forward to being pampered. During their summer season look forward to cooling off in their pool.

Food: So so so delicious! Oscar is the head chef and loves meeting guests. Everything was tasty and full of flavor. Fine dining quality food. All food and drinks are included in the cost, which makes it easy to sit back and relax without worrying about money (there are a few higher-end wines and liquors that cost extra, but their house wines are very nice!). They feed you constantly! Morning coffee and snack, morning game drive tea/coffee and biscuits, full breakfast, full lunch, evening game drive drinks and snacks, and full dinner. Always save room for dessert. You can also choose whether to eat in the main area, on your porch, by the pool, or in the garden

Service: excellent, staff are very professional, warm, and attentive. The host/manager and guide joined us for drinks in the evening and for tea time.

Game Drives: Our guide was Ryan and our tracker Adam. If you can, request them because they were terrific, knowledgeable, and entertaining. Animal-wise, we saw everything we hoped to see and more in our 3-night stay. Two days doesn't seem quite enough, I'd go for at least a 3-4 night stay. The reserve is beautiful, and the main roads well maintained. The vehicles are comfortable, even when your guide drives you through the bush. The animals are all habituated to the vehicles so you can get VERY close to the animals. The guides are very knowledgeable and you be impressed with what they can spot.

Your guide will also take you on a walking safari/hike.

• Liked — the staff and the experience they created
  • Disliked — lots of rich food
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank bliu
nyc
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Loved the thrice daily maid service, nightly bubble baths awaiting your return from the evening game drives, delicious food (Oscar, the chef, is great!) and of course the 'tent' experience. Richard, our butler, was excellent as well!

• Liked — impeccable service, delicious food, lovely accomadations
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
#5 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
Tanda Tula Safari Camp
Tanda Tula Safari Camp
#3 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to andBeyond Ngala Tented Camp? Share your experiences!