“Far beyond my expectations”
Review of Jackalberry Lodge

Jackalberry Lodge
Reviewed 25 November 2013

An unbelievable three night stay at Jackalberry Lodge exceeded my expectations 1000 fold. The rooms were clean and spacious with great air conditioning, the food was excellent, and the staff could not be more accommodating. Now the game drives....we were a group of 12, so we were 6 per jeep. Although I can honestly say I had a remarkable experience seeing "The Big Five" and more, unfortunately our ranger was not as passionate and informative as what we heard from ALL of the other 6 passengers in the other vehicle. While all 12 of us seemed to have viewed the same animals (sometimes on different days), we learned more from our traveling companions about the animals than from our ranger. They heard all and more, from their ranger, Willie, and sang his praises during, and after we left Jackalberry, leaving us to feel that our experience could have been a better one, had we had Willie as our ranger. I absolutely loved every minute of my time at Jackalberry, but found myself a little perturbed that my ranger was more interested in hooking up with his buddies for beers at night, than taking the time to make our experience equal to that of our traveling companions. I absolutely recommend Jackalberry Lodge without a doubt, but try to get Willie.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Osolemio1
There are newer reviews for Jackalberry Lodge

Reviewed 21 November 2013

A Very nice facility. The guides are excellent and there is reasonably good access to all the animals you will want to see. We saw all the big 5 but the only negative there was we had the more experienced guide (Willie) and we spent a good amount of time simply searching for the ever-elusive leopard. To their credit, Willie and Timba did finally track one down to complete our big 5 experience but we did lose a fair amount of potential game viewing time to that search while the other group got to see more animals since they let us do the "leopard hunting" and than got to take advantage of our success (all units are in radio contact). But it was still definitely a great overall experience. The food is actually quite good and you will not be disappointed, but it is NOT as over the top pure 5 star great as some posters have indicated. Also if you are getting up in years, the rooms are not particularly well lit, so reading anything at night can be somewhat of a challenge. Admittedly small negatives, but simply want to point out some areas that others have chosen to ignore. I would still be more than happy to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have travelled quite extensively and I must say this was one of my favorite places that I have ever been too. The rooms were wonderful - private, clean, cosy, with great views. It was the ideal place to relax. Luxury out in the bush! I was really impressed with all of the staff who always went out of their way to be helpful. I am a bit of a dessert fanatic and I can honestly say that their cook made the best pie I have ever had in my life. We got to see all big 5 animals and many more up close. They have a significant number of return travelers - some guests had been there about a half a dozen times and some told me that they had been to many other lodges and liked this one best. This place is truly a gem!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank CanadianTravellots1
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We visited Jackalberry as part of an organised tour and was amazed at the experience and luxury whilst on safari.
We stayed in our own little hut which was completely luxurious, we didn't have to worry about a thing as our days were planned out, staff would remind us and prepare everything.
All staff could not do enough for you and to top it off the safari experience could not have been better, great vehicles and well organised trips with stop offs for drinks and nibbles.
Rangers had extensive knowledge of the environment enabling us to learn about all aspects of life in the wild from the plants to the insects and animals.
Would definitely recommend as I would love to go back! Saw the Big 5 (more than once) amongst others!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The attention to detail from the staff is excellent!! We are a family of three and we stayed at the family villa and was very comfortable. My son loved the night stories that were left every night by the bed. The food is amazing!! Thank you Martha!
Willie and John are amazing rangers!!

I cant wait to go back to Jackalberry Lodge!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I could not have asked for more from the Jackalberry lodge. The accommodations were great, the food amazing, and the hospitality extraordinary. And, not only did we see the Big 5 (with the best ranger/tracker team: Willie and Lucas), but we had a blast and felt safe the whole time. I almost cried when we left. Our stay at the lodge was the highlight of a trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This lodge is amazing and definitely money spent well. Reese and Lucas went up and above to give us unique experience. Thanks to Reese and Lucas for showing/finding the big 5 for us. We also had the ultimate bonus the black rhino, leopard and cheetah kill.The accommodation and food were amazing.We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#5 of 12 in Thornybush Private Game Reserve
Chapungu Tented Bush Camp
Chapungu Tented Bush Camp
#8 of 12 in Thornybush Private Game Reserve

Been to Jackalberry Lodge? Share your experiences!