“A Slice of Heaven”
Review of Jackalberry Lodge

Jackalberry Lodge
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We booked this tour of South Africa through Lion Word Travel and I can't thank them enough. This was an absolute dream vacation. And our stay at Jackalberry Lodge was almost life-altering. From our initial welcome to the final farewell, we felt as if we were visiting with long lost relatives. The entire staff was so kind and gracious. And the lodge itself was '5 star'. I would call it rustic elegance, in that one knew that we were in a lodge in the jungle but with all the comforts of a quality hotel. I was apprehensive about the food but it was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every meal. The dinners outside in the Boma, under the stars were exceptional. We were on 6 game drives and were fortunate enough to see the entire Big 5 by day two. Our guide was Brad and our tracker was Lucky Luke. They deserve so much credit, especially since we were there at the end of the rainy season and driving through the muddy, flooded terrain was quite an adventure. Interestingly, none of us experienced any fear at being so close to elephants and lions or any of the wildlife. It was simply a heavenly experience.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good since each couple has their own private chalet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Irene J

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My dad and I visited Jackalberry back in March and we were certainly not disappointed. After an interesting flight over with a missed connection, arriving at Jackalberry was just what we needed. After signing in and getting settled, we were greeted with the first of many fantastic meals. The team at the lodge were phenomenal including everyone from Karlien and Tom, our driver Brad and tracker Lucas and the staff who serviced the rooms. Being able to sit down for lunch or dinner with Tom and Brad also allowed for great conversation and many amazing stories from their time at Jackalberry. It also made everyone who was there feel like a big family even though you may have only met them hours prior.

In total we went out on 5 games drives. We were fortunate enough to see the Big 5 and I am confident that the work of Lucas and Brad allowed this to be the case. The friendly and welcoming nature of everyone allowed us to feel at home. I've already started recommending Jackalberry to anyone looking for a true authentic Safari experience. I can honestly say I had a trip of a lifetime visiting South Africa and that Jackalberry and the Safari in general was definitely the highlight. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Any room is fantastic and they are separate villas with a great deal of privacy. Indoor and outdoor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2014

A friend and I stayed at Jackalberry Lodge for three nights. Jackalberry deserves the highest possible rating. The staff, led by Karlien and Tom, cannot do enough to assist. Tom was our guide on the exceptional game drives (assisted by tracker Themba). He even helped me with some photos. I didn't go with a tick list and every animal I saw - including all of the big 5 - was amazing. Karlien asked us what the highlight was and of course for me it was the animals. How can you pick just one? Impossible. The lodge and the staff were marvellous, the food fantastic. The transfer company person who collected us from the airport and drove us to Jackalberry told us that you arrive as guests and leave as friends. He was absolutely correct. I am thankful that one of my friends recommended Jackalberry and I am going to pass that on. Jackalberry is great - I look forward to another visit.
Thank you to all the staff from Shayne.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shayne F
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My stay at Jackalberry was an experience of a lifetime.From the time we arrived,to the time we left we had the best time with great staff and great food. Our time spent with a great guide( Brad) and a great tracker( Lucas) was very fun and also very educational. I highly recommend staying at Jackalberry Lodge for a fabulous vacation.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This review is long overdue, but my husband and I stayed at Jackalberry Lodge last May on our honeymoon. I cannot speak more highly of the lodge itself and the staff. We had the best time, and it was mainly due to the accommodations and personalization.

The safaris were extremely exciting! Our guide and tracker were experienced and knowledgeable. We saw so many animals during each ride, and I loved that during the mornings we would stop over in the middle of nature and have coffee and the evenings we would do the same with beer or wine.

The lodge itself was beautiful. We had our own private hut that was comfortable and clean. The food was unreal. I still think about some of the dishes that we had there- everything was so good!

The staff were incredibly friendly and went out of their way for the guests. Because they knew it was our honeymoon, one night they set up a romantic, private dinner out on our patio in front of the hut with champagne, rose petals and candles.

It was an unbelievable, amazing experience - one that we will never forget! We cannot wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at Jackelberry Lodge while on a "South Africa in Absolute Style" tour planned with Lion World Travel. The experience was 1st class in every way. Great lodging, food and safari's and a great staff. Special thanks to Brad, Luke, and the whole staff for a wonderful 1st adventure to SA.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WLC1966
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Amazing experience,
food and amenities were great, we had a large group of New Yorkers and left entertained and content.
Very intimate, Brad was an awesome guide.
it is a small lodge and you get personal attention to detail.

Once and a life time experience, saw big 5 first 3 hours out.

So many leopard and lions sightings it became common.

Room Tip: We got the worst room in the place and it was great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
#5 of 12 in Thornybush Private Game Reserve
Shumbalala Game Lodge
Shumbalala Game Lodge
#3 of 12 in Thornybush Private Game Reserve

Been to Jackalberry Lodge? Share your experiences!