We had a passport issue in the United States and almost skipped our safari at Shumbalala on order to head directly to Capetown for a famiy wedding. Thank goodness we didn't do that because our safari experience was fantastic. The "cabin" was really beautiful - we loved the outdoor shower and the very comfortable bed (with the mosquito netting!) Imagine my surprise to open my cabin door to see nyalas roaming around the front yard! Our ranger, Luke and our tracker made sure we saw the Big Five and many more animals and insects, including huge spider webs and spiders!
The chef, Denise, made fabulous meals. All the selections were interesting and plentiful. My husband and I enjoyed a candlelit meal on the patio and I tried ostrich! The manager, Natalie, was always helpful and bent over backwards to meet our every need.
All in all, it was a vacation we will never forget!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It’s a vast, wild place where the lions roam at Shumbalala Game Lodge, deep in the Thornybush GameReserve, one of the country’s great tracts of untamed game-viewing.Set as it is in a dry, singeing savanna of Mopane, Acacias and Umbrella thorns, quartered by easterly-flowing rivers densely shrouded in giant figs, fever trees and phoenix palms, the land is an ancient tapestry of natural wonder.Over-head the Loeries call their sharp warning while horn-bills swoop in an ungainly ballet between trees whilst vultures elevate on thermals portending an electric storm.As you push on through the bush it is the serendipity of nature that amazes most as your vehicle skirts art deco zebra, dozy giraffe, bright eyed bush babies, wildebeest (made, it is said, by the committee of left-over parts) and the rest Africa has to offer.It is even more of an adventure when you stumble upon a leopard lazing in the V of a Jackalberry tree or; a hyena giving you a lazy yellow eye in the gathering dusk; a majestic bull elephant crashing its way through the riverine thicket in search of sweet reeds or; a surprise sunrise encounter with a lion pride on the prowl.This is the world of Shumbalala. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Holiday Gems, Odigeo, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shumbalala Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shumbalala Game Hotel Thornybush Private Game Reserve
- Shumbalala Game Lodge Thornybush Private Game Reserve, South Africa