We stayed here for the first 3 days of our honeymoon and we couldn't have been happier!
On arrival (7pm-ish) we were greeted by a full line up of the lodge staff - Elize, Elfia et al. We were given a glass of sherry and a towel to rid our faces of the dust we had picked up en route from the main Thornybush lodge.
We were the only people at the lodge on the night of our arrival and so were upgraded to the Presidential Suite which is simply stunning!
Elize and her team are unbelievable...the attentiveness - always there when you need them, but never when you don't; attention to detail - immaculate!
The game drives were superb (don't think that just because you have seen the Big 5 by your second drive, that's it - it isn't! The key is to see the animals doing different things).
The food at the lodge was gorgeous - you are offered 2 choices for every meal but if you don't fancy either (i.e. you're clinically insane or super-festidious), you may request something totally a la carte.
The drinks are dirt cheap.
The rooms are spotlessly clean.
And the piece de resistence was on our final night...on returning from our evening game drive, rose petals had been left on our bed, with a trail from the bed to the bath (or vice-versa!), the bath had been run for us, candles had been lit and a bottle of champagne was standing by the bath with the compliments of the staff...what a touch!
I would recommend Shumbalala to anyone, without hesitation, and look forward to returning in some years from now.
Thank you Elize & team!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It’s a vast, wild place where the lions roam at Shumbalala Game Lodge, deep in the Thornybush GameReserve, one of the country’s great tracts of untamed game-viewing.Set as it is in a dry, singeing savanna of Mopane, Acacias and Umbrella thorns, quartered by easterly-flowing rivers densely shrouded in giant figs, fever trees and phoenix palms, the land is an ancient tapestry of natural wonder.Over-head the Loeries call their sharp warning while horn-bills swoop in an ungainly ballet between trees whilst vultures elevate on thermals portending an electric storm.As you push on through the bush it is the serendipity of nature that amazes most as your vehicle skirts art deco zebra, dozy giraffe, bright eyed bush babies, wildebeest (made, it is said, by the committee of left-over parts) and the rest Africa has to offer.It is even more of an adventure when you stumble upon a leopard lazing in the V of a Jackalberry tree or; a hyena giving you a lazy yellow eye in the gathering dusk; a majestic bull elephant crashing its way through the riverine thicket in search of sweet reeds or; a surprise sunrise encounter with a lion pride on the prowl.This is the world of Shumbalala. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Shumbalala Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shumbalala Game Hotel Thornybush Private Game Reserve
- Shumbalala Game Lodge Thornybush Private Game Reserve, South Africa