Tangala Safari Camp
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Thornybush Private Game Reserve
See available hotels
Kapama Karula(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama Buffalo Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Toro Yaka Bush Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
  • Pool
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
View Hotel
Arathusa Safari Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Hippo Pools Resort(Hoedspruit)
View Hotel
All reviewsno electricityswimming poolgame viewingdrakensberg mountainsmain buildingwater holehigh teanearby waterholetwo nightslions matingblack rhinogreater krugerhome cookingturned downthree course mealsun setsrainy season
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 April 2009

When I booked our Safari I wanted it to be nice, clean and most of all in a good spot for viewing animals. I looked and hundreds of different places, there are so many to choose from and the price differerences are crazy. I was a little worried about Tangala at first as it has no eletristy and the price seemed to good to be true. But this place was just so fantastic it went above and beyond my expectations. Our room was beautiful and truly romantic, when you come back from your game drive at night your room is lit by lantins and the mosqito net it draped over your bed.
We stayed for 5 nights and saw almost all the animals, Every game drive we saw the most amazing things. A Cheetah with her cubs at a kill. Lions with a kill off a water Buffalow, Leopards 2 nights in a row, 2 hippos even Hiena.
Elephants, Giraffe, warthogs, impala all came and drank at the waterhole in front of the camp.
We had the one and only female driver in the area, Karen and she was fantastic. What most people don´t know is she used to drive for the Army so she is amazing. Bennett our tracker was great and could spot the tinyist things, even a little owl nested in the bank.
The best thing about this Safari is its small, not too many people bring there kids as there is no eletristy and you CAN¨T use you computer. YAY !!!!
But don´t worry you can charge your batterys in the office as they have solar power.The one downside to this camp is the pool, I think because there is no eletristy they have a hard time keeping it clean and its quite small.
I can honsestly say this was the most fantastic Safari. The highlight of my whole trip to South Africa.
Africa.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Onestepatatime_9
Reviewed 16 June 2008

We stayed for two nights. Karen was our ranger and Ruben the tracker. Our hostess was Jeanette who was very kind and welcoming. Rooms are comfortable but the bathrooms could do with an upgrade. Gas/oil lamps lit at night.
Game viewing very good including seeing a cheetah kill ( highlight) , lots of lion, elephant herd, lots of white Rhino and plently of general game. Water hole in front of Tangala always had something to watch including 7 giraffe drinking one early evening.
Food average home cooking but plenty of it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pollydoodle
Reviewed 30 March 2008

My girl friend and I spent three nights in this safari camp. There is no electricity. Hot water is available after breakfast and after supper.

One gets awakened at 5.00 A.M. and one has coffee or tea and a piece of fruit and rusks. By 6.00 A.M. you are doing a vehicle safari till about 9.00 A.M. Then comes a big breakfast. At around 11.00 A.M.short walking tours are available upon request. At 2.30 P.M. you get a very light meal (too light). At about 4.00 P.M. the second vehicle safari leaves till sunset. Dinner is served at around 8.00P.M. and it is fairly big.

The guides were execellent during our photo safaris. We saw a lot of animals.The staff at the camp were all very nice. The acommodations were very clean and the person (Chantale) at the reception was very helpful. The swiming pool is very small. They say the best time to visit this park is durung the dry season (June-August) but you will see things year round.

In my opinion, a guest covers this game reserve in two days and two nights. The atmosphere here is relaxing. The food is good to very good and the cooks will try to cater to your needs.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Middle_Age_Travelor
Reviewed 14 February 2008

We stayed there for 3 nights in January, and have to say that the safaris are amazing. Our guide and Bennet the tracker were great.

Lodges are clean and are what I expected. No electricity so ensure cameras etc are charged up.Not having any electric was great and made the experience much better.

However the negative points is that I felt the place was getting run down. I had no mozzie net and when I asked for one was told that it was damaged and there were no spare ones. Secondly the pool looked fantastic on the website however the pool had been drained so you could not use it, very frustrating as it was peak summer and I would have thought this was a key facility. Finally they operate a drinks tab and the bill is paid at the end of the stay I felt that the cost of the drinks were extremely expensive especially based on what we paid in the city centres like Cape town etc.

However I would say i did'nt go to go in the pool I went for the safari and that was great, however if the pool had been working it would have been a hugely better stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onmyholiday
Reviewed 24 June 2007

My wife & I booked into Tangala at the suggestion of Getawayafrica (a great website & service BTW) for a long weekend away from Bangkok.

We absolutely loved it but I do agree with the previous reviewer - it was largely down to Jimmy & Liezl. They simply could not do enough for us.

On our first night, Jimmy asked me what we'd like to see & I said, half jokingly, "Cats".

Jimmy showed us Lions, REALLY close up 4 times, including a kill! He also managed to find us Leopard - including a cub up a tree!

His knowledge & commitment to find us stuff that interested us was amazing. MUCH better than any other game drive I've ever been on!

Yes the rooms were a little basic but we had rooms good enough - no dampness where we were.

The food was great - simple, wholesome & plenty of it! Eating around a fire, sharing gaming experiences with the other guests, before crashing out was great too.

A REAL pity if Jimmy & Liezl have moved on - where have they gone to?

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business