“Several Small Issues”

Days Inn Ruidoso Downs
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ruidoso Downs
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I would not consider this experience average but could not rate as poor.
This could be a great affordable facility. The bed was very comfortable and the facility was quiet.
We experienced several small problems during our 3 night stay.
Upon arrival, we noticed the toilet paper holder was about to fall out of the wall. We just held it in place when using.
Later that evening, we discovered a shower curtain that had not been changed in quite some time. The magnets had held the corner together and when separated, it was black and slimy. We asked for a clean curtain which was delivered timely and the employee offered to install it. It is my belief the shower curtains are not changed after each guest since the fresh curtain was clean but mildew stained.
I noticed a partial wrapper on the floor between the bed and night stand. I picked up the wrapper and noticed dirt or crumbs as well. Near the free standing lamp by the heater, was an earplug left by a previous guest and a corn nut or something similar. All of this was still present on day 4 when we checked out.
Approximately 9:00 pm the first night, I was called to the front office for a discrepancy in the internet reservation price, and the quote received on the phone when an additional night was requested. Upon arrival the price was less than expected. I assumed there was a discount for adding another night. Actually, an error had been made by the hotel clerk. When I talked to the owner/manager, she stated I owed quite a bit more than the price for the additional night and the internet price for the 2 nights originally booked. The price for the final night had gone up $30 since I had booked. She attempted to charge me the additional $30. We went back and forth over the price a few times. I finally added the amount of the additional night, and the original booking and agreed to pay that amount.
In the morning it was discovered the coffee pot leaked all over the counter. This was reported at checkout.
The blow dryer either over heated and stopped working or just broke. The GFI cover was also broken. This was also reported at checkout.
The 2nd night we turned on the heater but it didn't work. We did not complain at that time due to the late hour. The next day a portable heater was brought in and worked sufficiently.
Our last morning, the cleaning staffed knocked on the door, and despite yelling the room was occupied, she still attempted to make entry. It was only about 8:30 in the morning.
Despite the issues we had, we would consider staying again, and just check everything we can think of before settling in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Days In in Ruidoso Downs, NM is DIRTY! The sheets were dirty and when I asked for a clean set, the night manager became upset. When I changed the sheets, the mattress cover was filthy. I had to remove it when I replaced the sheets. The pillows were nasty dirty! My dogs sleep in a much cleaner environment that I slept in this past week-end! The room was suppose to be handicapped accessible with a walk-in shower, it was not! I was given a 20% discount, but I'm calling my credit card company and will ask them for a complete reimbursement! I'm calling the New Mexico Health Department and reporting this mess!

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! Handicapped accessible room are not accommodating.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I travel to Ruidoso frequently for work. I usually stay at the hotel across the street but thought I'd try the Days Inn because it's a bit cheaper. My company pays for my travel, but I'm still pretty frugal. The staff was very nice and efficient. The room was clean, had a microwave, mini-fridge, flat screen TV/cable (I never turn the TV on), free wifi that worked well, a comfortable bed, and consistently hot water in the shower. Honestly, that's all I need.

I didn't realize upon booking that the hotel had exterior doors; I'm sure this was my oversight. Initially, I wasn't too happy about that, but then I realized how much easier it was to lug in all the junk from my car (since it's work stuff, I have to bring it all in)! It was MUCH easier than at the other hotel. However, that does make it a bit noisier than a hotel with interior access since it's on a fairly busy street. But it didn't disturb my sleep or anything.

They probably shouldn't advertise that they have free breakfast. If there's a weak point to the hotel, that would be it. I saw cereal, white bread, and coffee/tea. However, there is a Mexican restaurant sharing the same parking lot that has great reviews on tripadvisor. I didn't eat there, but I probably will at some point.

Bottom line: clean room, all the necessities, nothing fancy, nice and efficient staff. I'll stay here again and say my company over $20.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel offers a very low rate, but it was at the expense of cleanliness and repair. The top of the door frame to the bathroom had a hole that you could put a hand through. I cleaned the room myself before moving any luggage in. On a positive note, the bed was comfortable and the location was great.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown
#7 of 23 in Ruidoso
Quality Inn & Suites - Ruidoso Hwy 70

Been to Days Inn Ruidoso Downs? Share your experiences!