We stayed here for three nights in May, and enjoyed it very much! The owner Dave and tracker Sam were excellent sources of information, and worked tirelessly to track down animals by observing their tracks, and plotting out their routes, etc. On our last day, Sam and the two of us were in the jeep and Sam tracked a huge herd of elephants sleeping in the bush! It was quite an experience to see babies lying down protected by standing sleeping adults.
We also did exciting bush walks accompanied by Dave and Sam, who held rifles the entire time. I (a woman) felt very safe at all times - and I knew we were with a highly competent tracker and gudie as we tramped through the bush with Dave and Sam. We spotted rhino and cape buffalo from a distance - and it was a thrill to see them outside of the protection of the jeep! We also needed the walk, since we had been sitting in a car driving for days in Kruger prior to coming here.
The Safari tents were comfortable - small but with excellent linens and duvets and very clean. The toilet, sink and shower are in an outdoorsy attached patio with bamboo walls - very nice and comfortable and clean! We were there in autumn, so it was not too hot in the tent. In the heat of the summer, however, it might get hot in the tent, but there is a small plunge pool to cool off in.
We weren't expecting to have down time in the middle of the day - where we could relax and do nothing in the camp - but we got into that rhythm once we realized that it would be unproductive to search for animals in the middle of the day.
When we were there, there weren't too many animals in Timbavati. By chance there had been lots of rain, so water sources were everywhere - therefore, the usual place for sighting animals did not have any animals show up! That was a suprise to us - but no fault of Shindzelas!
Dave and Sam are completely committed to showing you as much of the wildlife as possible - I would recommend this camp without hesitation. We just had bad luck with few sightings on 2 of the 3 days we were there. That was quite unusual.
The food was excellent - they accommodated my vegetarian request easily and we were very well fed! Wonderful kitchen staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shindzela is an authentic tented bush camp situated in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, greater Kruger National Park. The camp accommodates a maximum of 16 guests and is unfenced, making it very much part of the wilderness. Shindzela is not built by an award winning architect, nor is it furnished by an interior designer. What you will find though, is a comfy bed, freshly laundered linen, and décor from local crafters and artists. Shindzela is a comfortable/rustic tented bush camp, where you can relax, enjoy our warm hospitality and immerse yourself in the African wilderness. We love our informal, relaxed atmosphere. Each safari tent is built on wooden decks, and has their own en-suite shower/toilet and hand basin. The camp also has a swimming pool and overlooks our little watering hole, from where you can watch animals come down to drink. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Shindzela Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shindzela Tented Safari Camp Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Shindzela Tented Camp South Africa/Kruger National Park