My wife and I recently visited Shindzela in early september and we couldn't have been more satisfied. Shindzela offers a unique experience. As a first timer... I think my wife and I realized how lucky we were when picking Shindzela after meeting 6 or so other couples. The couples we had the pleasure meeting had have been on many safaris and they all were extremely satisfied with the experience, most commenting it was the best or one of the best safaris they had been on.
The staff is very friendly, knowledgeable buy most importantly they are extremely passionate about what they do. Additionally, Mike, Dave and Sam go out of there way to ensure you have had a great experience.
Being in the bush is about the animals, and this camp has animals which come very close for you to observe. At camp we saw many elephants and water buffalo. This intimate camp has 6 or so tents on permanent wood structures with a comfortable beds, and bathroom. There is a small pool, a fire pit and a dinner area for 12. The food is exceptionally good.
A typical day consist of a morning drive starting around 6am . Around 930am you would have tea or coffee out in the bush by a lake. You would be back to camp close to 10 to am to have breakfast. After breakfast you have some downtime until 3pm when lunch is served. Most people relaxed, showered, took naps and read books in between the drives. After lunch you would go out for a drive until sunset. At sunset you'd have drinks out at the same lake out in the bush. There then would be a night drive for around an hour after sunset. Once back at camp you'd have dinner. There were instances of going back out again after dinner. Most nights the guest had drinks and talked at the dinning area or around the fire.
Overall some of the aspects this camp which differentiate it from others based on the veteran safari couples we met are as follows:
The plot of land is I believe 34km x34 km, no fences, and NO competition. There are two trucks a total of only 12 guest at a time. You have all the time in the world to observe any animal without interruption.
The staff are able to drive off road to approach any animal, providing the most up close and personal experience.
There aren't additional charges for night drives and night drives are conducted in an open roof landrover.
Staff go great lengths to do their best an make sure you see minimum big 5 and more.
The volume of animals might not be the same as much larger commercial camps, but then again it's quality not quantity. We were able to get less than 10 meters from watching 4 lions eat a wilderbeast. We sat there for as long as we'd like 30 or so minutes.
You can to Bush walks, which i completely recommend. Mike is very good at his job, and extremely qualified, studying at university for 4 years, taking additional certifications and having experience managing rangers at a much larger camp. He got back to what he loves, and his passion is very apparent. His walks are great.
Animals come withing a ruby field on camp. At 2am one night the camp was woke up by a huge male lion roaring. That is authentic. The next morning we tracked it.
I would recommend this experience to anyone.
- a very satisfied guest
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shindzela is an authentic tented bush camp situated in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, greater Kruger National Park. The camp accommodates a maximum of 16 guests and is unfenced, making it very much part of the wilderness. Shindzela is not built by an award winning architect, nor is it furnished by an interior designer. What you will find though, is a comfy bed, freshly laundered linen, and décor from local crafters and artists. Shindzela is a comfortable/rustic tented bush camp, where you can relax, enjoy our warm hospitality and immerse yourself in the African wilderness. We love our informal, relaxed atmosphere. Each safari tent is built on wooden decks, and has their own en-suite shower/toilet and hand basin. The camp also has a swimming pool and overlooks our little watering hole, from where you can watch animals come down to drink. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Shindzela Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shindzela Tented Safari Camp Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Shindzela Tented Camp South Africa/Kruger National Park