Going to Shindzela takes some hours, but will help you to come in the right spirit. You will pass along bushfield along a sandtrack wthout seeing almost no car. Then you will arrive on a secluded spot with beautiful designed tents. Good comfort and very good aligned with the bushfeeling you are looking for. Then there is of course the thing you're coming for, the wildlife. Well, there can be plenty, even just around your tent. When it is dark you are not allowed to go alone to your tent because some predator might catch you. Twice a day there is a safari, and we were very lucky to have some great experiences.
Sam and Dave were leading our tours, and tehy did a great job. We could enjoy their life long experience in tracking and tracing, so if there is a grown or branch breaking miles away they will hear it.
Our first night we saw some large animals like buffels an giraffes, but what was especially interesting was a walking safari around a rhino. You could easily come close as long as we stayed quiet and did not move too much. Later we saw a huge herd of buffalos, maybe 3 to 400 coming to the dam. Later a pack of lions came in and went after the herd, we were almost in the middle of hundreds of buffalos rumbling and running.
The last morning was really special. We saw a pack of willd dogs that had chased an impala in the water of the dam. The poor thing was swimming from one corner to another one, and the dogs just posted a soldier on the place where it might think of getting on land. The neigbourhood hippos were disturbed in their sleep and decided to hunt down the invader also a bit, so the room for swimming become even more narrower. Finally the pack of dogs caught the impala and started to eat it out, beginning with the soft parts until it was dead. Then the hyenas cam in, attracted by the sounds of the hunting. Take a closer look by giving the search terms Impalahunt wilddogs on Youtube.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shindzela is an authentic tented bush camp situated in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, greater Kruger National Park. The camp accommodates a maximum of 16 guests and is unfenced, making it very much part of the wilderness. Shindzela is not built by an award winning architect, nor is it furnished by an interior designer. What you will find though, is a comfy bed, freshly laundered linen, and décor from local crafters and artists. Shindzela is a comfortable/rustic tented bush camp, where you can relax, enjoy our warm hospitality and immerse yourself in the African wilderness. We love our informal, relaxed atmosphere. Each safari tent is built on wooden decks, and has their own en-suite shower/toilet and hand basin. The camp also has a swimming pool and overlooks our little watering hole, from where you can watch animals come down to drink. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Shindzela Tented Safari Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shindzela Tented Safari Camp Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Shindzela Tented Safari Camp South Africa/Kruger National Park