“Bushcamp great experience”

Shindzela Tented Camp
Vancouver, BC, Canada
“Bushcamp great experience”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

It's all been said, but we had a great time. Maybe it's the outdoors, but the food just tastes better when you've been outside all day. Lots of different wine to choose from at reasonable cost.Staff were great.

Game drives were lots of fun. Stayed three nights with two kids in two tents.

Room Tip: Tip: Tents were fine, but the mosquito nets are suspended from the middle of the tent and the beds a...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank barryontherun
shindzela, Owner at Shindzela Tented Camp, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Hi barryontherun

Thank you for your review! We are very pleased to hear that you and your family had a great time at Shindzela!

We hope to host you and your family again in the near future!
Shindzela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Hebrew first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The previous reviews really say it all: Shindzela is a great, personal experience that gives you a real feel for the African bush with people who really care. My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at the start of our 2 week South African trip and had a great time. We saw tons of wildlife, including nearly 30 elephants having their morning drink at dawn, and along with one other guest were the only people in sight. Evenings around the campfire were friendly and entertaining and the accommodations were just the right mix of comfort meets camping. We later drove south to Skikuza and while we also greatly enjoyed our time there, Shindzela and the intimacy of such a private game reserve with warm staff were defiantly the highlight. We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AllisonMN
Hi AllisonMN

Thank you so much for your review and all the kind words, we really appreciate this!
I will pass on your message to the camp!

Take Care and hope to see you soon
Shindzela
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

Excellent experience! Everything went over my expectation, the camp is in the middle of bush with open fences, we saw elephant came and "wave" to us while we were sitting next to the pool ;) clean beds, warm shower and great food!!!

The Safari experience is incredibly amazing!!! Sam and Kenneth have really great knowledge about the bush, I will never forget the Rhino tracking on foot with the intense feeling: only <100 meters next to the Rhino family!! Father, Mother and the baby!! I had hundreds of questions and Sam answered everything with patience and kindness! I believe a great guide can make a huge difference to a safari experience, we are the lucky tourists!

I highly recommend Shindzela if you want real bush experience!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Viviyc
shindzela, Manager at Shindzela Tented Camp, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Hi Viviyc

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I will make sure to pass this along to Sam & Kenneth!

Sydney
Reviewed 12 May 2013

If you are after the real africa experience this is it. Yes it doesn't have the spas's, 5 star gourmet meals, air conditioning and fleets of land rovers full of tourists but what it does have is heart and soul and an amazing team of people who go out of their way to make you welcomed and become part of the Shindzela family. Group numbers are small there and a big advantage is that you can go offroad and get up very close to the wildlife. Yes it is a Big 5 area and during my 7 days I saw 4 of them but missed the Leopard (they are there given the myriad of tracks we came across) but the beauty is seeing the diverse range of wildlife that africa offers - civets, honey badgers, monitor lizards, striped jackals, hyenas, hippos,crocs, zebra, wilderbeast, lilac breasted rollers, fork tailed drongos etc etc etc. The tents and beds are very comfortable and clean and the food that Malita and the team produce is fantastic. The highlights - well there are many but in summary , the walking safaris, staying the night in the hide (overlooking the main dam and watching hippos and crocs) and just getting to know the Shindzela team. They are great people with plenty of knowledge about the bush and with great senses of humour!!! Special thanks to Johan, Eugene, Sam and Kenneth for putting up with this Aussie! I would recommend when you stay there to have a 'Springbokkie' shooter or two around the campfire. As Malita says 'hmmmmmmm' Of course in those immortal words from Arnold Swartzneger- 'I'll be back'.

Room Tip: I stayed in tent 7. Which was more isolated than most of the others and looked over the creek line...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wayne265
shindzela, Front Office Manager at Shindzela Tented Camp, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Wayne265

It was an absolute pleasure to you have in camp with us! And I will make sure to pass on your kind words to the team!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and couldn't be happier with our choice of lodges. The food was amazing, the tents were clean, and most importantly, the game drives were exciting. They've recently changed owners and they've immediately begun to make upgrades to the camp. Despite only being there a couple days, the guides already knew the roads like the back of their hands.
Being an open camp, we had lots of wildlife running through, which really added to the experience. Can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: Tents 6, 7 and 8 seem to be in the best locations!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MangoFP
Dear MangoFP

We are thrilled that you had a great time with us at Shindzela! And we look forward to your return!

South coast
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I have been meaning to add this for a while. My husband and I travelled to Shindzela for 10 days in March 2013. Our first safari experience we decided to committ the full 10 days to the adventure and boy was it worth it!
Ill be honest when I arrived from the UK after a long flight, I was slightly concerned by the size of the spiders I saw on the first game drive a few hours after we arrived, but by the time we left I was ducking to avoid the cobwebs so as not to make the spiders build another one! I had no idea there was a conservationist within me until we met the team. They are an inspriation … i didn’t even know I was learning, I was having so much fun!

I cant say enough about Shindzela, we saw EVREYTHING that the African bush had to show us and I enjoyed having to track for it, learn about behaviours, weather conditions and interactions.

The entire team at Shindzela went out fo their way to ensure we had the best possible time… the laughing ladies who looked after the fantastically comfortable accommodaton and fed us delicious home cooked food every day! The guides: Brilliant Brian, SuperSam, Jolly good tracker John and Daring Dave were all superheros to us and could not have worked harder to build an adventrure filled with awesome memories.
The elephant we named Mr Grumpy in camp one day made his presence known. The elephant herd chasing lions. Lions playing in the river bed while we sat close by and watched. The leopard in the tree who was so chilled out he let us hang out with him for a long while…even tracking the illusive rhino on foot was a fantatsic day!

The camp atmosphere is relaxed and friendly.. some people booked to stay for 2 days and stayed for 4 or 5… The structure of the morning & evening drives balanced with relaxation time works well and the wine selection is worthy of the beautiful sunsets we enjoyed on every dusk/evening drive!

Ill warn you… the hardest thing to embrace about Shindzela…..is leaving! I have certainly left a piece of me behind….
We may not make it back this dry season, but we will be back as soon as possibly can.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gigglesSouthcoast
Dear gigglesSouthcoast

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! I will most certainly pass this onto the team in Camp. We are delighted that Shindzela was everything you hoped it would be!

Shindzela Team
washington dc
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I've been meaning to write this review for a year now. Was very appreciative of other reviews when we were trying to decide where to go on safari. My college-aged daughter and I spent the most wonderful 4 days/3 nights in Shindzela in March 2012. It is hard even to know where to begin to describe the wonderful vibe of this place. Everything is simple but lovely; comfortable beds, good and plentiful food, fabulous and friendly staff. We chose Shindzela in part because it rests easily on the land, using solar power and minimizing other impacts. That absolutely added to our experiences there. But we never felt as though we were really roughing it. The hot water can be a little off and on at times, but other than that everything about the place felt lovely and special.

The highlight were of course the game drives. Sam and Mike were the best guides we could imagine. They knew an amazing amount about about the wildlife. We could hardly believe the detailed knowledge Mike had of insects and birds - not to mention the big game. We never did see our leopard but had a blast tracking it. We felt relaxed and happy the whole time we were there - the vibe was so great - and the other people in the camp also added to the experience. I'd guess this place just attracts people who are there to appreciate the natural life, not those looking for a spa. For us the combination was just perfect. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear travelerfromdc

Thank you very much for your review! We look forward to hosting you again at Shindzela, and hopefully we can find the elusive leopard for you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
#6 of 14 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Africa on Foot Camp
Africa on Foot Camp
#3 of 14 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve

Been to Shindzela Tented Camp? Share your experiences!