We stayed for 4 nights from the 24th of August. We have travelled from the Canadian artic to northern Australia and this is the best camp we have ever stayed in. We were in tent 5, the best one right opposite the waterhole with an open view. Comfy, warm bed with quality bedding which is important in winter, en suite bathroom all spotlessly clean and tidied every day. Food was wonderful. Brilliant eating dinner by the boma under the african stars. I particularly enjoyed cook's announcement of dinner and the jungle drums telling us food was ready. Don't ask what venison is though.
But you don't go to Kruger for the food. What made this camp so special were the highly knowledgable guides and Carolein's consideration for our enjoyment of the experience. We did two bush walks which meant three men going with the two of us for three hours. Eugene and Michael could not have been better. We learned so much and they clearly cared that we had a good time. Got to creep up on the hippo's and elephants. The reserve is private. It is not shared with other camps and we were able to spend quality time with elephants, lion and buffalo observing natural behaviour with Johan and Michael. The highlight for us was our last sundowners with Michael when the two of us had 15 precious minutes alone with a rhino that had come to drink at the dam with the setting sun as a backdrop. Stood there in tears. Had the pleasure of sittiing on our verandah watching the elephant herd and also spotted hyena, honey badger and the jackal from the tent.Birding is superb. A special mention for the head guide, the never to be forgotten Johan who is responsible for the high standards of guiding in this camp and who was our dinner companion each night. Thankyou for taking care of us so well.
I booked direct with Carolein who took care of our transfer back to the airport and had us back in camp for a shower and early breakfast before leaving. I promise we will be back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shindzela is an authentic tented bush camp situated in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, greater Kruger National Park. The camp accommodates a maximum of 16 guests and is unfenced, making it very much part of the wilderness. Shindzela is not built by an award winning architect, nor is it furnished by an interior designer. What you will find though, is a comfy bed, freshly laundered linen, and décor from local crafters and artists. Shindzela is a comfortable/rustic tented bush camp, where you can relax, enjoy our warm hospitality and immerse yourself in the African wilderness. We love our informal, relaxed atmosphere. Each safari tent is built on wooden decks, and has their own en-suite shower/toilet and hand basin. The camp also has a swimming pool and overlooks our little watering hole, from where you can watch animals come down to drink. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Shindzela Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shindzela Tented Safari Camp Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Shindzela Tented Camp South Africa/Kruger National Park