“Best Safari Experience”

Shindzela Tented Camp
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed only two nights at Shindzela and regretted it very much that it wasn't for longer. The camp is just amazing, very beautiful located with nice rooms, which offer all comfort one need. The food was excellent and the staff and the guides very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stelilsch

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Good food, very nice lodging, but even better rangers and trackers! Thanks especially to Raymond and Sam who did their ultimate best to show us the Big Five and much more. Great to see three lions with a killed giraffe. No problem to get-up at 4:30 am if you know what you might get to experience.

Room Tip: Book it if you can, you wont't regret this experience! Very nice tented camp with everything you...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GinetteNL
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Shindzela is the place you go and plan your return while you're still there. It's a refreshing experience to find yourself amidst the wildest bush of Africa and know that you're being taken care of. Upon arrival a family of elephants took a stroll through camp, if only to remind me that I have arrived in their territory.

I got lucky and saw all the big boys (lions, rhinos, buffalo, oh my!), but it was the little things that really made me fall in love with Shindzela. From Sam's passionate trail blazing, to safari stories told fireside, to a sunset beer at the water hole, and ending each night falling asleep to the giggling hyenas outside my door, Shindzela creates a safe and rustic home in the wild for all visitors. The safari on foot left me catching my breath both because there's nothing like a brisk sunrise hike through the bush, but even more breathless because you never know what animal is lurking beyond the next baobab. And I'll forever be in awe of the sharp eye of all our guides who can spot a fresh lion pup foot print from a mile away.

My room was cozy and comfortable, and made complete with my nighttime hot water bottle from Gertie. The food is fabulous and company of staff is unbeatable.

Shindzela gives you an authentic and rustic safari experience that I recommend for families, couples, and the adventurous solo traveler.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank olivegirlSF
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I echo all the positive reviews. I appreciate too that the Camp did not over sell itself. Good food, excellent, hard working staff and a superb environment is what they sold, and delivered.
Our driver Sam, and his partner, the tracker Raymond, were knowledgeable and very hard working, putting in extra effort to make our experience memorable.
The camp is off grid. I was given a tour of their home designed and built solar installation and it's very impressive. Andre,the operator of the camp, is justifiably very proud of it.
I've never had an experience like this before, and probably won't again. I'm very glad that it was with Shindzela Safari Camp.
I thank everyone there for their willingness to give us their knowledge, dedication, humor and warmth.
I will dream of my experience for the rest of my life.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mjheider
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Brilliant. Absoultely brilliant. I'll keep it short, because my post is pretty much going to be a reflection/repetition of all the good reviews that previous travellers have posted.

1) Ridiculously experienced, knowledgable and humourous guides and trekkers (Sam, Johan, Kenneth). You know they mean business, when you ask for lions, and they trek for it to give you a great view (like 10m away) of a mother and her cubs. Not forgetting bashing through the jungle with the safari vehicle just to get a close up view of elephants. And also catching a golden timing of these majestic animals frolicking at their watering hole. They were also always on a lookout for our safety too! Ask a question and you'll get it answered with a 5 star response!

2) Food. Wahahaha. I'm Asian, but the food was absolutely fantastic and suitable for all palates. If they happen to be serving lamb shank and impala, you're up for a treat!

3) Accom. 2 big beds with a nice toilet and heated showers to boot.

4) Exclusiveness. You are in the middle of nowhere (yet there's wifi, at reasonable costs lol). No hordes of tourists. Just you, maybe 10 more guests tops, 15 staff and lots of impala haha. Buffaloes and elephants and hyenas sited near our camp too! Directions to the camp is also very clear, if you are self-driving (forget about the GPS, it's not going to help you)

5) Worth it! Errr for the price you are paying, oh my goodness, you have got to be kidding me. This is an absolute steal for the experience you're getting!!!

Thanks so much guys for the wonderful safari experience :)

Room Tip: All rooms are the same, and good!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank hanselin
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at Shindzela for five nights in September. I wouldn't have changed it a thing about our trip. The Game Drives were amazing- we spent most of our time with Sam. He would take us all over the area and found lions, rhinos, herds and herds of elephants... Buffalo! It was great. And he would answer any questions we had. The tracker was also fantastic- he would just jump off the jeep and track down any animals. I would pick this experience over any other safari experience because you really get in with the animals. The camp sites were great- super warm even though it was cold out. The thick blankets kept all of the cold out. Every night we would have delicious dinner by the camp fire and talk with people from around the world. The shower was warm, but simple. The toilet, shower and sink are all in the back of the tent. It is a bit rough- this isn't necessarily a five star hotel. But, its not for lack of comfort or fantastic service. If you have any hesitation, read the rest of the reviews. You will not regret your stay here and it is worth every penny.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sonya G
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed for two nights at Shindzela - an amazing time. Authentic experience, close to nature (and lots of animals, possibility to see the big 5 if lucky/ we saw 4, missed the leopard which they had seen the day before we arrived) and friendly staff. No unnecessary luxury, but all the nice comfortable anmedities. Our guide was really knowledgable Beautiful Dinner by the fire under the sky full of stars. We can highly recommend Shindzela Tented Safari Camp.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Adrian_XYZ
#6 of 15 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Tanda Tula Safari Camp
Tanda Tula Safari Camp
#2 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Shindzela Tented Camp? Share your experiences!