Our stay at Shindzela surpassed all expectations! My husband and I spent 5 nights there in July as part of our first anniversary celebration in South Africa and we are already looking forward to returning in the future!
The game drives: In one word-- amazing. In more than one word--we saw lions almost every day, herds of elephants, buffalo, rhino, giraffe, zebra, bush baby, ground hornbills, we followed a leopard with a spotlight at night.... the list goes on and on! We had Eugene as our guide and Raymond as our tracker and they were both so personable and knowledgeable. They entertained us with stories and fascinating information about animals, tracks, plants, insects, and even dung. There was never a dull moment! I would also highly recommend a bush walk. It's so peaceful and a great way to learn about the little things in the ecosystem.
The tents: The bed was super comfy and warm. The bathroom was clean, spacious, and the shower had hot water. We could hear all sorts of interesting sounds at night, which reminded us that we were truly out in the middle of the bush. Such an awesome feeling! After dark, a ranger would escort you to your tent to ensure that you wouldn't stumble into a lion or anything (we never did, but that would have been a great story).
Food/Drink: Breakfasts were especially delicious and filling. At lunch, your guide would ask what you'd like to drink during your evening game drive. We loved sipping wine (me) and whiskey (husband) as we watched to sun go down. Dinner would be ready shortly after we returned from the evening game drive. We loved gathering around the fire and enjoying a great three-course meal. I especially loved the dessert (mmm). After dinner, we would linger around the fire talking with other guests or staff, drinking the fantastic wine or enjoying a lion dropping shot (we tried to make them for our friends back at home but they weren't quite the same).
Overall experience: As mentioned before, the staff was awesome! Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. In between game drives, we would relax in the main lodge or by the pool. We even had a few exciting animal encounters at the camp!
Our experience at Shindzela was absolutely amazing. We can't wait to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shindzela is an authentic tented bush camp situated in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, greater Kruger National Park. The camp accommodates a maximum of 16 guests and is unfenced, making it very much part of the wilderness. Shindzela is not built by an award winning architect, nor is it furnished by an interior designer. What you will find though, is a comfy bed, freshly laundered linen, and décor from local crafters and artists. Shindzela is a comfortable/rustic tented bush camp, where you can relax, enjoy our warm hospitality and immerse yourself in the African wilderness. We love our informal, relaxed atmosphere. Each safari tent is built on wooden decks, and has their own en-suite shower/toilet and hand basin. The camp also has a swimming pool and overlooks our little watering hole, from where you can watch animals come down to drink. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Shindzela Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shindzela Tented Safari Camp Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Shindzela Tented Camp South Africa/Kruger National Park