Just completed a successful 4-day/3-night stay at Tambaku Lodge in the Timbavati Nature Reserve. Sucessful in that we got up close and personal with the big 5 (lion, rhino, leopard, elephant and buffalo) plus giraffes, zebra, steenbok, impala, kudo, wildebeest and warthogs. And too many species of birds to remember. No guarantee you will see all five, but they will try. The rangers know the area and the animals and are quite knowledgable about the birds, animals and plants. Excellent accomodations at Tambaku - clean, comfortable, safe. Excellent food and drink. Wonderfully warm and personal hospitality. Small size makes for a very personal memorable experince with your ranger, tracker and with the staff. A great place for a family vacation. Staff does a great job making sure everyone has an enjoyable and memorable experience. Timbavait is adjacent to Kruger and the wildlife is as varied and numerous as in the park. The boundary is unfenced, so the animals move back and forth. The WiFi connection was sufficient to stay in touch and I did not miss the absence of TV, radio or the limited cell service. Frankly, I was so busy enjoying the wildlife, hospitality, other guests and scenary, I did not need any other entertainment.
A couple of general thoughts if you are considering a vacation like this, whether at Tambaku or otherwise. First the weather; you wil be outdoors in an open vehicle for around six hours a day. In the summer, it will be hot and sunny and frequently rainy. In the winter, it can be quite cool starting out in the morning or after sunset in the afternoon as you drive around. Dress appropriately, in layers and remember you sunblock. I'd also suggest that a vacaton with multiple game drives over multiple days may not be compatible with younger ( pre-teen) children. Three hours moving through the bush, paying attention and keeping still and quiet may be a challenge for the pre-teen adventurer. Unless you have a large family, you are likely sharing the vehicle with other guests, so you have to consider you impact on them. Finally, you are in the bush - no stores or shops nearby. The lodges, like Tambaku have many supplies that you might need for you visit, like batteries, extra clothing, and insect repellant. Be prepared with your medicines, clothing and for your special needs. The lodges will accomodate many dietary issues, but you have to let them know beforehand so they can prepare. When in doubt ask questions by phone or email before the trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kambaku Safari Lodge is nestled in the heart of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, which can be found within the world renowned Greater Kruger National Park.The camp is well situated in this unspoilt natural wilderness area, home to an astonishing array of animals including the Big 5. Kambaku provides the ultimate escape from busy schedules, with eight well appointed thatched chalets overlooking our own private waterhole.Attracting guests from around the world, Kambaku offers superior standards in all of our facilities yet always maintaining a high level of environmental consciousness. Our dedicated staff will cater to the individual needs of our guests making for a truly memorable stay. With scrumptious bush cuisine in a relaxed, rustic setting our guests can truly unwind and immerse themselves in the restorative powers of nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia and South African Hotels so you can book your Kambaku Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kambaku Safari Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Kambaku Safari Lodge South Africa/Kruger National Park