“Personal and outstanding experience!”

Kambaku Safari Lodge
Reviewed 12 April 2013

There were four of us who travelled to Kambaku after a business trip in Pretoria. We were met with the most wonderful welcome. Lunch was waiting for us and the staff immediately felt like family. We were had the entire lodge to ourselves for 2 out of the 3 nights. It was great. The chalets were beautiful and modern. Bryce, Nicola, Van and Erik were incredibly accomodating. Van and Erik made sure we saw every animal we wanted to see (the Big 5)-including the beautiful white lions. It is amazing how attune Erik is with the scents and tracks of the animals. One morning I said I would like to see a rhino and Erik found rhino tracks. We followed them and saw the biggest male rhino. It was amazing. We saw a giraffe kill by the "Giraffe Pride" (which includes the white lions) and Van took us back for 3 days in a row so we could witness the circle of life. The lions ate first, then hyenas and then vultures. It was amazing. I celebrated my birthday while at Kambaku and they surprised me with a homeade chocolate cake! The food was gourmet quality and everyone was so accomodating. This was my second safari and most favorite. I will definitely travel back to Kambaku and would suggest anyone who reads these reviews to do so as well. Dont' bother looking at any other lodge. Kambaku is 40 minutes from the airport and has everything you want in a safari plus the exceptional hospitality. It really is like a 4 star resort!

Room Tip: Request a chalet next to the watering hole.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Kambaku2007, Owner at Kambaku Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! You are so lucky to have seen the white lions - always a treat, and in your case a very special birthday memory ! It is also always interesting to watch a progression and the cycle of life in action during a stay - puts everything into perspective somehow . We look forwards to seeing you again !

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We arrived tired and yet exhilarated from 4 days showing our two young children the Kruger NP DIY style. Then we were rescued...we were all treated to a warm and natural welcome, the place, the staff, the food and the other guests made it all such fun and truly memorable. The owners were actually on leave but every single member of the staff was attentive, professional and made us feel like we were meant to be there-difficult when surrounded by such luxury. It is not for those used to "bling" or gimmick - you do feel as if you are in the bush but without the discomfort.
We could not recommend it highly enough!
Our tracker and guide were both very knowledgeable and really made the trip for us-both great with our children aged 12 and 7 too.

Room Tip: If you have children, choose the connecting rooms close to the waterhole.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Kambaku2007, Owner at Kambaku Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Hi to the UK - I am sorry that we did not get to meet you and host you personally, but it is great to hear that the team at Kambaku can still provide an amazing experience while we are not here! Our aim is to make sure that you feel "in the bush" and experience " the bush", and it seems as though we got it right. It is an amazing experience for the children, and one that will enrich them on many levels!

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I spent a wonderful three days at Kambuku in early March. Bryce, the ranger, and Erik, the tracker, did a fantastic job of leading the game drives each morning and afternoon. We had excellent meals. And, though I did not spend much time in the room, it had hot water and a comfortable bed.

But what really made the visit for me was the welcoming atmosphere of all of the staff and the impeccable but unobtrusive service. It felt more like spending time with friends than staying at a hotel. I had been on my own this visit but I plan to return for another vacation with my family.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at Kambaku. We try and encourage the hoe away from home atmosphere, and we often feel that we are saying goodbye to family by the time guests leave. I guess this is why we have such a high percentage of guests returning again and again. I am honored by your choice of words to describe the service you received, and we will strive to keep it going ! We would love to meet the family someday !

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have gone on three safaris in South Africa so far and I had my best experience at Kambaku! The tracker and guide were both extremely knowledgeable and clearly made a huge effort to help us see all of the animals that we wanted to (tracking the ones we hadn't seen yet etc.). The food was varied and absolutely delicious and they were very accommodating to food preferences and needs (my friend is diabetic and they made sugar free desserts for her every night!). The lodging was also very true to the South African bush but also luxurious and clean. Overall I cannot say enough nice things about the trip and I will definitely recommend to friends and family!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank islander8

Wow - how awesome to hear that after three safaris Kambaku is the most memorable ! Thank you so much for the positive feedback about the food, the staff and the lodge. We know our rangers and trackers are very set on finding all the animals that guests want to see, even though sometimes it is very hard work - and that passion can be seen in their work. Thank you for the comment about us being true to the South African bush, as we try and provide accommodation that is tasteful and comfortable, but that is in keeping with the bush theme, and where you actually feel as though you are in the bush !

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We enjoyed absolutely everything! From Kambaku team's welcoming to Albert & Werner's adventurous game drives to the amazing food to fine accommodation, we were very pleased to have come. The game drives were excellent as we saw the big 30-35, I'd say :-)
Overall experience was excellent. We thank you for a wonderful hospitality. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank M_G221112

Hi there Lagos! What an enthusiastic review !!! And a s for the big 30- 35... well I could definitely find a place for you on our marketing team !! Holidays are meant to be memorable, and it sounds like this one will be spoken about for a while to come still !

Reviewed 31 March 2013

When I first e-mailed the travel's agent, I mentioned that the most important for me was security and comfort. I didn't know then how outstanding my trip would be.

A wonderful getaway for those who are nature lovers and just want to relax and enjoy the little pleasures of life. The lodge is so clean, organised, comfortable and eco-friendly (they don't waste water or energy, rooms are well-equiped with ceiling fans instead of air conditioners); the food is all homemade; the staff is extremely friendly and good-humoured - loved Repent's joke about the ice by the way - and they were very concerned about providing the best to the four year-old boy travelling with us; the ranger, Van, and the tracker, Albert, did a great job finding the animals - saw the bif five (a huge dagga boy and a whole herd of buffalos) and much more, such as wild dogs mating, a tiny tortoise, hyena cubs, a chameleon...

After every safari we were welcomed, besides the lovely smiles, with a brunch, in the morning, and fresh towels, drinks and lanterns in the evening! I could even learn two or three words in one of the eleven South African national languages. They accomplished making my stay memorable! Thank you Nicola and Bennet for your hospitality! I really felt special!!!

Nélia

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a waterhole view and a verandah, where you can spend some time watching the chee...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nélia R

Hi Nelia, Thank you for taking the time to review Kambaku and share your unforgettable trip with others. the wonder of the bush is that not only the big 5 are amazing, but that sometimes the little things can be even more WOW ! I will definitely pass on all your comments to the staff - especially to Repent and about the smiles! I know they love reading the feedback from guests too. We look forwards to maybe seeing you one day again !

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed at this lodge in February 2013. The team there is really great, from the guides (werner and neil), the tracker and the lodge team. Lodge is really excellent, clean, and organized for every detail. Food is great. All-in-all a really great lodge to stay. Saw all the animals we wanted to see on our two day trip and the guides took their time to really stay at an animal sighting when interesting, so no hurry. I would for sure recommend the lodge as this has been one of the best holiday experiences ever. Usually i only read the negatives on trip advisor, but for this lodge and team running it, i can't think of anything. Really.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely, very positive review, on Kambaku and your stay here. We are glad to hear that you would recommend our lodge and that your holiday was so memorable here !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
#3 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
Umlani Bushcamp
Umlani Bushcamp
#5 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Kambaku Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!