Tanda Tula Safari Camp
SUN1 Pretoria(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$46
Hotels.com
US$103
Morning Star Express Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$205
US$136
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewschef ryanbush breakfastoutdoor showerwatering holegame drivesour honeymoonlovely poolthe riverdry river bedincredible foodtented accommodationsouth africaevery mealwild dogsbreakfast is servedtheir handsan amazing experience
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This trip was a dream come true! From the moment you arrive the attention to detail and the passion for the land and animals is astounding. We were blessed to have Scotch as a guide and he was amazing finding every animal and wildlife imaginable.

The lodge was luxurious and the tent exceeded every expectation.

The food was fantastic and the bonds made with the staff and owners made you feel like you were staying in your own home.

Fantastic and will be at the top for trips of a lifetime.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TandaTula, Owner at Tanda Tula Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We strive to offer all our guests a genuine and memorable African safari experience, and feedback such as yours lets us know we are on the right track. Chef Ryan is a wizard in the kitchen and keeps everyone's taste buds excited (including ours!).

Hopefully we will see you again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Don and Nina Scott
Owners

Reviewed 2 May 2014

In March my husband and I had to abandon our SA safari holiday due to my elderly mum's sudden hospitalisation, and instead of experiencing the delights of Tanda Tula, we were on a flight home to New Zealand. The good folk at Tanda Tula have generously offered us some return on our prepaid holiday with them. Thank you Tanda Tula- and, we hope to try again one day!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Din14
TandaTula, Owner at Tanda Tula Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Denise

Thank you for the kind words. We know what it is like to have a family emergency on holiday, and we are more than glad to have helped out in some way. We truly hope that you can make it to Tanda Tula in the future, as we would love to meet you and Ted in person.

Best regards
Don and Nina

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have just read the various previous reviews about Tanda Tula, there is no exaggeration and it's brought back some wonderful memories of our stay. Tanda Tula is a glorious haven of unassuming luxury (5 star without the glitz) and its staff are just so professional, knowledgeable and friendly. We had an absolutely wonderful 4 day honeymoon stay and would love to return one day. Full marks in every respect. A perfect start to our honeymoon. Thank you to the Tanda Tula Family!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at this fantastic lodge late Feb early March and immediately loved. The staff were brilliant without exception and we saw some fantastic wildlife with the brilliant 'scotch'
The rooms were amazing and very comfortable, and I loved the outdoor shower. Food was good and I just can't wait to return.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal, I would be happy in any of them
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Tanda Tula. Even the name sounds soothing to the savage beast. I’m talking about me, of course. I represent the consumerist American, perhaps the most savage of beasts when it comes to taking nature for granted. But Tanda Tula took me away to a higher level of consciousness where I truly appreciated the beauty of nature, whether it smiles, growls or wants me for a fattening snack. I was looking for an extraordinary South African safari experience to complement a trip to Cape Town my partner and I took last month. I was lucky enough to have been on a safari adventure before several years ago in Kenya and Tanzania, so expecting lightning to strike twice appeared to be an exercise in futility. However, a travel agent named Sarah James introduced me to Tanda Tula by way of their website, and I knew immediately that this was the place to book.

We arrived by way of the tiny Hoedspruit airport where we were driven about 45 minutes to the camp, one of several camps in the Timbavati Game Reserve. Service was superb the moment we stepped out of the SUV, and duty manager Thabo greeted us with warmth and a spate of instructions I have to admit somewhat intimidated us. But we got used to the routine pretty easily. It consists of two game drives, the first at 6AM where they wake you at 5:30 with a tray of tea, coffee and biscuits which we had to get into our tent immediately to avoid potentially ravenous monkeys. The second occurs at 4PM and ends as the sun sets over the plain. Both last for approximately three hours, and we were never disappointed. Every animal we were hoping to see, we saw, with the exception of the white lions spotlighted on the site.

No matter as the numerous sightings of tawny lions, leopards, elephants, giraffes, zebras and rhinoceros more than thrilled us. And that’s only the beginning of the list of exotic wildlife you’re likely to see thanks to our sharp-eyed guide, the ebullient and aptly named Scotch, and his trusty tracker Patrick. They were brilliant and more than accommodating on our drives, providing welcome breaks at picturesque spots for libations and snacks. Between the drives, we simply relaxed, which was quite easy considering how inviting the main gathering place is with lots of soft couches and lounge chairs. The never-disappointing meals were all strictly gourmet-level with head chef Ryan Mullett lending his culinary artistry to dishes that ran the gamut from fresh salads to hearty barbecue meats to addictive pastries and desserts.

There’s free WiFi in the main area, but I have to confess we were in the accommodation closest to the lobby (#4) and benefited from the easy internet access in our gorgeous tented room. Protected by a huge tent, the spacious hut encased a comfortable queen-size bed, a separate day bed, and the joys of indoor plumbing including a claw foot bathtub. The irony was the primal joy came most from the outdoor shower with instant hot water. I also want to provide shout-outs to the wonderfully kind staff, in particular, Harry, Pinky, Pretty, and general managers Dale and Hayley, among several others. We had four glorious days there, and hey made sure we got all eight game drives in before we regretfully had to leave via a charter flight on the local air strip. It costs R 4,700 per night per person during high season (October-April), but they offer quite a deal where they throw in the fourth night for free. A truly magical experience awaits here.

BTW – Although we took the necessary anti-malaria medication, we came away with zero mosquito bites in late March.

Room Tip: Tent #4 is the closest to the main gathering area and doesn't require a guide to take you back at night. Even better, it's the one tent that benefits from the free WiFi area.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple