I stayed at Motswari due an incredibly kind friend who secured accommodation there for me after my original booking at a nearby lodge had to be cancelled due to the devastating floods in January 2012, which left my accommodation very wet!! Well, I have to say I was truly truly blessed by this stroke of fate.
The lodge is not opulent and over the top luxury, but very definitely up-market and tasteful. The rooms are spacious with everything you need (including a lamp in case of power failure, mozzie spray etc). The bathrooms are gorgeous - my bath looked out onto the bush, with beautiful thick,large fluffy towels (my pet hate is skimpy towels that feel like cardboard!). Very comfortable beds affording one a good nights sleep, as well as a fan and airconditioning.
The area they traverse is absolutely beautiful with varied terrain and many rivers to cross. It was incredible to see concrete and 30ft dam walls washed away by the recent floods, leaving dry river beds and changing the landscape - each drive was an adventure even for the guides as so much has changed. Add to this a section of land in the north bordering Kruger which is beautiful, very wild and with a beautiful rocky kopje to view the sunset from (you have to be fairly agile to get up there mind you!!). The bush was incredibly thick which I hadn't expected in this area, filled with beautiful trees, mopane and thick vegetation (all aided by the heavy rains). The river bed in front of lodge (I understand normally dry) provided good viewing of an ellie who came down at lunch time for a drink and splash about, together with many different bird species, not the least of which was a woodland kingfisher flashing his turquoise wings regularly.
Game viewing is first class for all things big and small, including 2 chameleons (on my bucket list). We traveled some distance to get to the northern sector (mentioned above) so as to take advantage of 2 snoozing lionesses and their 4 cubs. It was totally magical spending at least 45 minutes watching the cubs slowly accept our presence and begin to play. Grant and Jacky. our guide and tracker, were enthusiast and passionate about their mission to explore and find our next thrill, and the excellent rapport between them made for most enjoyable listening between each sighting. Nothing was too much trouble, and when I asked if we could possibly have our morning coffee break by a dry river bed (my absolute favourite) they obliged with a very beautiful scene to sit and absorb the sights, sounds and smells of the bush. Magic!!
All the staff at the lodge were exceptionally friendly and helpful. It was a privilege to meet one of their well known guides who was due to go on leave but took time out to chat with me before departing. I particularly liked that Godfrey, the Deputy Manager and Thea and Dave, the Managers, all delightful people, introduced themselves to each guest and interacted with them throughout the day and during the evening meal - rather than being aloof and away from guests which is a common experience at other lodges I have been to. They really made one feel like a part of the family for the time you were there.
Meals were superb, whether it be early morning coffee, breakfast, lunch or dinner - a huge selection of delectable treats. Evening meals were taken at varying venues, on the deck by the river, in the boma, or, I believe, sometimes out in the bush. The lodge was even happy for me to invite friends who live or work close by to join me for dinner.
Motswari has stolen my heart as a lodge to go to for a friendly, comfortable, relaxing and superb game viewing safari experience and I definitely recommend staying here and hope that I will return before too long.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open to the Kruger National Park and playing host to Africa's Big Five is Motswari Private Game Reserve. One of South Africa's jewels nestled within the Timbavati Nature Reserve, this family-owned and operated four-star luxury safari lodge prides itself on its warm atmosphere and luxurious accommodation.The name Motswari means "to conserve and protect" in Tswana and the owners have held the name to be a promise to each of their future friends who arrive to share in the splendour of an African sunset at this vintage bush lodge.The 150 square kilometres that make up the reserve are part of the greater Kruger Park and guests will be treated to wildlife in their natural habitats as part of their unforgettable experience of Southern Africa. Ideally situated and exclusive, Motswari Private Game Reserve holds the best of everything for the traveller to the untamed majesty that is Africa.If you’re looking for a relaxed atmosphere, peaceful communion with nature and a private experience on a traditional African game farm, this holiday location is for you!Morning and evening game drives in open Land Rovers with professional field guides and trackersMid morning bush walks * Safari walks in lieu of morning game drives guided by armed field guidesOvernight bush hiking and camping sleep-out experience for groups of 4 with experienced guides*Hide sleep-outs in the Motswari Game Reserve*Swimming pool*Boma & bush dinners*Pre-lunch safari interest talks*Curio shop at Motswari Game Lodge*Brunch, high tea (late lunch) and dinner*Library and Art Gallery with 24-hour internet facility at Motswari Game Lodge*Fully equipped air-conditioned conference room for 20 delegates at Motswari Game Lodge*An additional vehicle plus guide can be arranged for an extra cost per day and covers 2 game drives per day ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Motswari Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Motswari Private Game Reserve Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Motswari Private Game Reserve South Africa/Kruger National Park