“Pretty much the best two days ever”

Motswari Private Game Reserve
“Pretty much the best two days ever”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Only disappointment is that I had only booked here for two nights. Food was excellent, location was gorgeous and the game drives amazing. No faults at all here - all the staff were friendly and service was impeccable. Rooms were very comfortable but I didn't spend much time in it since I ended up sitting outside enjoying the view. When giraffes are the lunch time entertainment, you know you are at the right place. Our game drives were amazing getting us up close to the big 5 in no time. Can't say enough about my stay, I just wish it was longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynda & Neil H
DAVID K, General Manager at Motswari Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
I am so glad to hear that you would have liked more time at Motswari!! We really appreciate the review and I am delighted that everything is so positive!

I hope to welcome you back to Motswari one day soon!

Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We arranged a two days stay through a travel agent in Cape Town and their recommendation proved to be true. A very nice lodge with very good service and safary tours. the meals were excellent as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Levy R
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review - I am delighted that you enjoyed your time at Motswari and I hope to welcome you back here one day soon!

David
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent 3 nights there and even though I've been travelling a lot around the world this was probably the best stay ever. Staff is exceptional, food is amazing and the experience you get there will remain with you forever. You pay the price of a 5* NYC hotel but it worth every dime. Superior in all means, we will definitely return one day!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Csocsola
DAVID K, General Manager at Motswari Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Motswari and for leaving such positive thoughts - its fantastic to hear that you had such a great time!!

I hope to welcome you back to Motswari one day soon.

Very Best Regards from the whole Motswari family.

Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I have been meaning to write a review for a while but have finally managed to get around to doing it! I feel this needs a review because I wanted people to know just how magical this place really is. Since my holiday I have not stopped talking about it and its my number 1 next place to visit even though I don't like going to the same place twice.
We stayed for 4 nights but I wish we had stayed longer. We had managed to see everything we could possibly wish for in those few days but I was just so sad to say goodbye.
There is not one thing I could fault about the lodge....

Food...best food I have ever eaten in my life. The dining experience is excellent too

Staff...they are so knowledgeable about all the animals and nature and the friendliest of people too. They work extremely hard to make your trip perfect

Location...the fact it is a private reserve means they can go off the track meaning you can see the animals even better

Accommodation...the rooms are lovely and secluded and a great size.

Price...it was worth every penny

As you are up early in the morning for your first drive some people decided to have an afternoon nap. We managed to stay away to relax by the pool surrounded by the inquisitive monkeys!

This is definitely the best experience of my life and I would go again in a second and hope to in the near future. Everything was perfect. I even named my house Motswari to remind me every day :)

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
DAVID K, General Manager at Motswari Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
WOW... what a heading to wake up to this morning and am delighted to hear that your house is now also called Motswari!!

We are all thrilled that Motswari made such a strong impression on you and even happier that we are top of your list of future destinations... we look forward to welcoming you back!

I will, of course, make sure that the whole team see this fantastic review... it is such great motivation to know that we are getting things right!

David
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I should not really have given this place 5*---it really deserves 7* !! The arrival at reception was pleasant they had a cold drink and cold towel waiting, which was welcome after a long-haul flight.
Reception staff were ver pleasant always and tried to sort out any problems. We had the recently refurbished rooms which were amazing with verandhas overlooking the river. The bathrooms also had a good view of the river.
The wake up call was at 5.15am and you went down to the breakfast area for a quick muffin and coffee before the early morning drive at 6am ( make sure you are well wrapped up and have a good jacket as it can be very chilly with the movement of the jeeps) The Guide Shedrake was brilliant and so was the tracker Tivani--quick to spot game and other interresting sights. The drives were amazing and we saw 3 to 5 of the big 5 on almost every drive, plus other game. The sunrise and sunsets in the African sky were my highlights ! Midway there is a bush stop for hot drinks and biscuits (they made the effort to give us different biscuits every day !--small touches like that really made the holiday) Went back to the lodge at 9.30am for a buffet breakfast with everything you could want and in fabulous dining area overlooking the river. After that you could go for an easy 11am walk with your tracker, which you should do at least once and it is amazing what he points out. A swim in the infinity pool ( overlooking the river)on your return is a great freshner and then chill out with a drink (it is FI on most stays) Lunch is at 2.30, brought in with pomp in a procession of the kitchen staff singing and a drummer. A light affair of quiche, salad pasta and a great variety of salads is more than adequate and is always rounded off with desert! The afternoon drive is a 3.30pm ( winter schedule) and although nice and warm when you set out, gets chilly by the time it hits 6pm.
( the stop-over for sundowners in the bush) I must say even though the jeep tries to get you back by 7pm, if there is a call that they have spotted big game , then the driver very kindly rushes you off for a viewing, so you dont miss out. Return to the lodge and the guard accompainies you back for a quick shower and comes to collect you at 7.30pm ( no walking unattended at nights!) for pre-dinner cocktails and then a delicious dinner in the Boma around a log-fire. the jeep occupants usually sit together for further bonding,often with the guide. They accompany you back to your room for an lovely deep sleep with fabulous memories.
The holiday is really made special by the frendlinest and attention of all the staff, and nothing is too much trouble for them.
The lighting in the rooms could be a bit brighter ( but then its supposed to reflect safari conditions, I suppose) but this is being very picky. The holiday was just fabulous and all of us agreed that it was one of the best holidays we had!!----thank you Motswari!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GilP P
Thank you for taking the time to review Motswari in such detail and am delighted that you enjoyed your time in the Timbavati! I will ensure that Shadrack,Tiyani and the whole team see your kind words.

I hope to welcome you back to Motswari in the not too distant future!!

Very Best Regards from the whole Motswari family.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Having been meaning to write this review for quite sometime now the time is right to share details of the most wonderful safari experience my wife & I could ever have imagined for. Motswari will always hold a special place in our hearts as it was the place where my wife and I (or girlfriend at the time!) got engaged at the appropriately named “Lovers Leap”. All the staff made us feel very special from the moment we entered Motswari and for anyone looking for the classic, slight more upmarket, safari experience we would not hesitate in recommending Motswari as providing just that experience. The high standard of the rooms, to the quality of the food (we still remember the homemade milk tart made by “Amazing Grace” as if it was yesterday…although our stay was over a year and a half ago now!) and most importantly the superb game viewing (aided by our superb guide & tracker) left us extremely satisfied and with fond memories of our time spent in the Timbavati!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephenr04
DAVID K, General Manager at Motswari Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for this fantastic review of Motswari and congratulations on your marriage!

I hope to one day welcome you back for more milk tart!

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

If you search for an amazing place in the middle of nowhere, very much in line with the nature, this is the place to go! You may relax and have fantastic game drives. Our ranger Josh & tracker Jacky just made our days perfect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank AHG14
As a new addition to the team this is Josh's first mention on Tripadvisor and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with him and your stay at Motswari.

I hope to welcome you back to Motswari one day soon!

Very Best Regards
#8 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
Simbavati River Lodge
Simbavati River Lodge
#9 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Motswari Private Game Reserve? Share your experiences!