While the motto is “come as a guest, leave as a friend,” it was so much more than that. I was really sad the day we left – sad to leave the people, the reserve and the amazing experience that was soul altering.
Like many, I literally spent weeks trying to find the perfect place. Relying much on the reviews here, I rolled the dice and hit the jack pot. The rooms – outstanding. Comfortable, clean, spacious, authentic. The food – superb. Delicious, plentiful, creative.
The safari – one of the best experiences in my life. How we got so lucky to have Chad as our ranger and Patrick as our tracker, I don’t know. It was my first safari ever. Yes, I was nervous when a lioness (one of the Jacaranda trio) walked 2 meters from our vehicle, and when the leopard walked under the truck. But, I was excited and amazed. What kept me calm was Chad and Patrick. I trusted them implicitly and completely. Chad is a renowned photographer – and very humble about it. The Motswari book is an incredible collection of his superb work. It is with the same passion and precision that he guided us through the bush to see things that I’m sure I’ll never see again. We were also somehow lucky enough to share the truck with South African Andrew Aveley, another renown photographer (google him, his work is also incredible). And while everyone else had seen this many times over, they were as excited as us novices. When our last safari was near, and I had yet to see elephants, Marka was our guide, and did not quit until he found us a family – seeing a mother with her 10 month old baby elephant walk in front of us was just unbelievable.
After every amazing ride, John greeted with a sip of sherry, and then off to dinner. Everyone on staff was excited to hear what we did, what we saw, and shared in our amazement. Liz was always around to make sure things were going well. She even arranged for us to squeeze in a final safari, even though our transfer to the airport was leaving early. At check out, she had a packed lunch for us. Just like Mom would do. David, the general manager, was always around, also checking on us. We met his adorable son. Again, part of the family.
We were also lucky enough to have Lee (the chef at Dash in Cape Town) as our chef. Inventive, flavorful meals that complimented the surroundings. Genius! After dinner was more conversation, laughter, drinks, and friendships forming under the most amazing skies one can imagine. A real experience of a life time that I will never forget. Thank you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open to the Kruger National Park and playing host to Africa's Big Five is Motswari Private Game Reserve. One of South Africa's jewels nestled within the Timbavati Nature Reserve, this family-owned and operated four-star luxury safari lodge prides itself on its warm atmosphere and luxurious accommodation.The name Motswari means "to conserve and protect" in Tswana and the owners have held the name to be a promise to each of their future friends who arrive to share in the splendour of an African sunset at this vintage bush lodge.The 150 square kilometres that make up the reserve are part of the greater Kruger Park and guests will be treated to wildlife in their natural habitats as part of their unforgettable experience of Southern Africa. Ideally situated and exclusive, Motswari Private Game Reserve holds the best of everything for the traveller to the untamed majesty that is Africa.If you’re looking for a relaxed atmosphere, peaceful communion with nature and a private experience on a traditional African game farm, this holiday location is for you!Morning and evening game drives in open Land Rovers with professional field guides and trackersMid morning bush walks * Safari walks in lieu of morning game drives guided by armed field guidesOvernight bush hiking and camping sleep-out experience for groups of 4 with experienced guides*Hide sleep-outs in the Motswari Game Reserve*Swimming pool*Boma & bush dinners*Pre-lunch safari interest talks*Curio shop at Motswari Game Lodge*Brunch, high tea (late lunch) and dinner*Library and Art Gallery with 24-hour internet facility at Motswari Game Lodge*Fully equipped air-conditioned conference room for 20 delegates at Motswari Game Lodge*An additional vehicle plus guide can be arranged for an extra cost per day and covers 2 game drives per day ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Motswari Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Motswari Private Game Reserve Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Motswari Private Game Reserve South Africa/Kruger National Park