This was our first safari experience -- and it was superb (interestingly, even better than our second one at a pricier lodge in an upscale private reserve adjacent to Kruger!) The main lodge had a lovely restaurant area, large comfortable "living room" areas (with roaring fires in the fireplaces), a small gift shop and small library -- and a sizable outdoor deck overlooking the river. Guests stay a short walk away in villas that were absolutely wonderful -- spacious units with walls of floor-to-ceiling windows that gave wide angle views of the landscape. There was also a private plunge pool for each villa (a little chilly for a winter trip, but we sat on the edge and soaked our feet), an outdoor shower, an expansive deck with comfortable chairs to just sit and revel in the beauty of Kwandwe. Monkeys and small antelope browsed within a stone's throw (and apparently leopards had taken a liking to unit 6 a week or two earlier ; ) There were morning and late afternoon game drives that gave us close encounters with cheetahs, zebras, giraffes, hippos, elephants, white and black rhinoceros, warthogs, wildebeest, and all sorts of antelope. Alfie was our guide and he was excellent. Clearly this was not "just a job" for him -- but something he truly loved (plus he had a great sense of humor). We feel like we've been through a hands-on course in "Animals of Africa" -- and had a ball doing it. How cool is that! Food was delicious, creative and well-prepared. (I came home with the recipe for a to-die-for polenta cake). And one last (but important to me) plus: no mosquitoes, no risk of malaria and no wretched medicines to take! Would I recommend Great Fish River Lodge? Absolutely!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This founding lodge with only 9 privately situated suites features a classic-contemporary style of simple elegance that embraces the lodge's splendid setting high up on a steep bank overlooking the Great Fish River. The colour scheme comprises a calm and natural palette of earthy tones, from khaki browns to charcoal greys.Pewter and glass add an effortless yet understated glamour to the furnishings; artefacts such as ostrich eggshells, hides and horns create subtle points of interest and relevance to the lodge's surrounds, whilst natural linens and plenty of texture preserve its simple but sophisticated atmosphere.Watch majestic kudu meander down to the river from the Lodge's expansive viewing decks, or observe playful Cape clawless otters swimming in the cool waters below from the comfort of your private balcony. Suites are spacious and feature en-suite bathrooms, indoor and outdoor showers, personal in-room bars and private decks with plunge pools overlooking the vast reserve. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, South African Hotels, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kwandwe Great Fish River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kwandwe Great Fish River Hotel Kwandwe Private Game Reserve
- Kwandwe Great Fish River Lodge South Africa/Kwandwe Private Game Reserve