“Great Lodge”

Tau Game Lodge
Ngwenya, Swaziland
“Great Lodge”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Tau has an amazing setting in front of a waterhole that is busy with animals 24/7. Never seen so many elephants, seems to be a continuous procession of herd upon herd of them coming down to drink at the waterhole. Staff all extremely professional, we had Murray as our guide and he was knowledgeable and knows how to get out of a tricky situation without panic, yes we had one :) Amazing food, which we over indulged on. It was cold on the game drives but the blankets and hot water bottles solved that, our every need had already been thought about. Markus and his staff were amazing and we will be back.

Room Tip: ensure you take warm gear in winter as it is cold on the morning drives before sunrise, and after su...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ngwenyaglass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

A bigger lodge than some in the reserve and as such it is set up for and attracts business trips which could influence the tone of your stay but beyond that the facilities, staff and food are first rate.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I was lucky enough to stay at Tau Game Lodge last month. It was the starting point of a trip of a lifetime and was certainly a highlight of the whole trip. The staff at Tau are lovely, our Ranger, Kelly, is fantastic. She went over and above for us, every game drive we went on was amazing, we had some awesome sightings, we were very lucky to have her as our ranger. I think I've left a part of my heart at Tau! I'd love to go back one day. I can't recommend it highly enough. My only advise is to stay as long as possible, you won't regret it! Thanks Kelly & everybody at Tau for making our time there so special.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family and I recently stayed at Tau Game Lodge for 3 nights. What an absolute treat.
the staff are professional and very customer focused. From the welcoming drinks, to the hot water bottles on the early morning game drives, this institution really knows how to pamper its guests. A definite MUST is the Tau Spa. There Farika will pamper you and make you feel like a goddess. Special mention must be made of Dylan - our guide, Farika the Spa Manager and Israel (Kagiso). Thank you for a really wonderful holiday

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Krugersdorp, South Africa
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a chance to spend a weekend at Tau in the madikwe reserve and for sure it was a chance of a lifetime..... We were being welcomed by laughs and friendly staff, the rangers: megan are so intelligent,and really up for any challenge to find your animal you would love to see, I never experience a therapist like the spa manager before she love what she is doing and then even in the evening going out of her way make sure you are at "home" as a hostess. As I plan my next visit to madikwe Tau will be my first stay option always. Awesome food, great rangers and a most relaxing little bush spa. Tau your one in a million.

• Stayed June 2014
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I think most of the overall experience begins and ends with the ranger. We had a large group that was split between with Megan and Dillan. I was in Megan's group for each of the rides. Megan was motivated, informative and tons of fun and we had a load full of guys that had a great time. She knew what she was talking about it and it was clear she had a passion for her job. Megan fits the mold of what Tau should be hiring for rangers. A good testament is always watching people who've said the same thing to hundreds of guests but you would never know it because its delivered with the same care to educate/inform people as if they've never done it before. On another note, her relentless pursuit to spot a lion kill in pitch darkness one evening was truly watching a master at work!!

Dillan had another group who also spoke well of his expertise and professional care. Kudos to the both of them!! Megan and Dillan joined us for breakfast and even did some serving of dishes on our last night which kind of blew me away.

Second part by far was the food. From the Elan entree Friday night to the Chicken Tikka Salad on Saturday, the food was simply amazing. The staff was even more amazing and very entertaining with birthday songs in local tongue with the entire staff in procession!

I only have 1 single complaint and 1 recommendation and neither change anything already stated. My room (#21) was VERY cold and I'm fairly tolerant of the cold usually. The electric blankets worked fine but when I was not under blankets it was pretty bad. I finally went to the front desk where I received a portable heater delivered to the room which was just fine ultimately for the second night. But, I think that heater needs to get checked.

My recommendation for Tau and I hope they take it well is that we had a 11am checkout but had no lunch included. As much as I understand that some guests may leave early or prefer to not have lunch, it would seem to make good sense for Tau to make box lunches available (with pre-order) after the morning ride. I suspect most people would still be a few hours from their next destination which requires them to stop somewhere else and have lunch. Although we were given an opportunity to eat lunch at the lodge the price offered was pretty high.

Incredible experience, minor annoyances and thanks again for the awesome weekend!!

We have a blast of a good time!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank BruinSpartan
Kolkata, India
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had the most amazing vacation in this Game Lodge last weekend. I am quite sure I am going to remember it for a long, long time. Absolutely sensational experience - perfect rooms, perfect views and perfect safaris. Dining here has been a pleasure and, for a change, the service has been absolutely top-class - something I found lacking in all the South African hotels.

The rooms are perfectly placed - right in front of the water body where the animals come to drink water. Interestingly, there are 5 crocodiles in that water body as well - and everything is right there - in front of your balcony. Unbelievable. Of course, the resort is well surrounded by an electric fence.

There are no TVs in the rooms, which is perfect. Lights are dim and these are cottages with thatched roofs. But the owners had taken adequate care to provide electrically heated beds to ensure a sound sleep.

The first amazing experience in here was what I observed from my balcony post dinner. Never before have I seen such a magnificent night sky. And ..... there was the Milky Way right in front of me. Spanning the entire sky ! I stared at the sight in awe for almost an hour each night I was there.

The safari was pretty cool. And our ranger Megan made it extra cool. I must admit she has an amazing sense of the animal locations and took us to the most perfect animal spots. Cheetahs, Lions, Lionesses, Herds of Elephants, Antelopes, Impalas, Griraffes, Zebras and Rhinos. Did I miss anything? Everything was in abundance. The lions were feasting on their recent kill right in front of us - just 3 meters away !

The food was perfect. They serve a comprehensive breakfast. Lunch was okay I would say, but the dinner great again. The restaurant staff was highly attentive to every customer's needs.

Hence very professionally managed I must admit.
Given a choice, I would certainly wish to come over again !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sanjay_GT
taugame, Manager at Tau Game Lodge, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review! We enjoyed hosting you and it would be great to see you back again some day soon.