“Experience of a Lifetime”
Review of Tau Game Lodge

Tau Game Lodge
Bungendore, Australia
“Experience of a Lifetime”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have just returned from a trip of a lifetime. One of the highlights was Tau Game Lodge. The whole experience was first class. I was so impressed with our ranger, Kelly. Her knowledge was vast, her enthusiasm infectious. We saw not only the big 5 but the magnificent 7. She went above and beyond her job, I am sure, to ensure we had an amazing experience. The respect that was shown towards us, the guests and also the other rangers was just an added bonus to the whole package. I loved that the Rangers kept in contact with one another and shared sightings so that everyone got the best chance at seeing animals. The staff at Tau were some of the nicest people I have met. The rooms were comfortable, the beds were excellent, the food was amazing and I will definitely be going back. I could not recommend Tau highly enough from the time you arrive to the time you leave you feel special. Do yourself a favor........go there!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donna R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Ngwenya, Swaziland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Tau has an amazing setting in front of a waterhole that is busy with animals 24/7. Never seen so many elephants, seems to be a continuous procession of herd upon herd of them coming down to drink at the waterhole. Staff all extremely professional, we had Murray as our guide and he was knowledgeable and knows how to get out of a tricky situation without panic, yes we had one :) Amazing food, which we over indulged on. It was cold on the game drives but the blankets and hot water bottles solved that, our every need had already been thought about. Markus and his staff were amazing and we will be back.

Room Tip: ensure you take warm gear in winter as it is cold on the morning drives before sunrise, and after su...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ngwenyaglass
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

A bigger lodge than some in the reserve and as such it is set up for and attracts business trips which could influence the tone of your stay but beyond that the facilities, staff and food are first rate.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I was lucky enough to stay at Tau Game Lodge last month. It was the starting point of a trip of a lifetime and was certainly a highlight of the whole trip. The staff at Tau are lovely, our Ranger, Kelly, is fantastic. She went over and above for us, every game drive we went on was amazing, we had some awesome sightings, we were very lucky to have her as our ranger. I think I've left a part of my heart at Tau! I'd love to go back one day. I can't recommend it highly enough. My only advise is to stay as long as possible, you won't regret it! Thanks Kelly & everybody at Tau for making our time there so special.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family and I recently stayed at Tau Game Lodge for 3 nights. What an absolute treat.
the staff are professional and very customer focused. From the welcoming drinks, to the hot water bottles on the early morning game drives, this institution really knows how to pamper its guests. A definite MUST is the Tau Spa. There Farika will pamper you and make you feel like a goddess. Special mention must be made of Dylan - our guide, Farika the Spa Manager and Israel (Kagiso). Thank you for a really wonderful holiday

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Krugersdorp, South Africa
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a chance to spend a weekend at Tau in the madikwe reserve and for sure it was a chance of a lifetime..... We were being welcomed by laughs and friendly staff, the rangers: megan are so intelligent,and really up for any challenge to find your animal you would love to see, I never experience a therapist like the spa manager before she love what she is doing and then even in the evening going out of her way make sure you are at "home" as a hostess. As I plan my next visit to madikwe Tau will be my first stay option always. Awesome food, great rangers and a most relaxing little bush spa. Tau your one in a million.

• Stayed June 2014
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I think most of the overall experience begins and ends with the ranger. We had a large group that was split between with Megan and Dillan. I was in Megan's group for each of the rides. Megan was motivated, informative and tons of fun and we had a load full of guys that had a great time. She knew what she was talking about it and it was clear she had a passion for her job. Megan fits the mold of what Tau should be hiring for rangers. A good testament is always watching people who've said the same thing to hundreds of guests but you would never know it because its delivered with the same care to educate/inform people as if they've never done it before. On another note, her relentless pursuit to spot a lion kill in pitch darkness one evening was truly watching a master at work!!

Dillan had another group who also spoke well of his expertise and professional care. Kudos to the both of them!! Megan and Dillan joined us for breakfast and even did some serving of dishes on our last night which kind of blew me away.

Second part by far was the food. From the Elan entree Friday night to the Chicken Tikka Salad on Saturday, the food was simply amazing. The staff was even more amazing and very entertaining with birthday songs in local tongue with the entire staff in procession!

I only have 1 single complaint and 1 recommendation and neither change anything already stated. My room (#21) was VERY cold and I'm fairly tolerant of the cold usually. The electric blankets worked fine but when I was not under blankets it was pretty bad. I finally went to the front desk where I received a portable heater delivered to the room which was just fine ultimately for the second night. But, I think that heater needs to get checked.

My recommendation for Tau and I hope they take it well is that we had a 11am checkout but had no lunch included. As much as I understand that some guests may leave early or prefer to not have lunch, it would seem to make good sense for Tau to make box lunches available (with pre-order) after the morning ride. I suspect most people would still be a few hours from their next destination which requires them to stop somewhere else and have lunch. Although we were given an opportunity to eat lunch at the lodge the price offered was pretty high.

Incredible experience, minor annoyances and thanks again for the awesome weekend!!

We have a blast of a good time!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends