“Loved Jamala Madikwe”

Jamala Madikwe
Newport Beach, California
“Loved Jamala Madikwe”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Our stay was perfiect at Jamala! The people, rooms, food and wild life were all amazing! The watering hole was a highlight, you could sit in the beautiful lodge and the animals came to you! A very unique setting.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Nico V, General Manager at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Hi KristieP
We are delighted that you loved the experience at Jamala. Thank you for the review. The waterhole has been less active in the rainy season however we see frequent groups of hyena a breeding pair of owls, buffalo and lots of elephant. We look forward to you visiting us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

What luck to have come across Jamala for our first ever safari. It was so delicious we shall certainly return. We liked the fact that Jamala is small (maximum 5 couples) but there were enough guests staying to join up socially if one wanted to. Our tracker, Daniel, was outstanding and we felt safe, very well informed and extremely comfortable in a brand new safari vehicle. This was important for me as I have a bad back. The villas were beautifully decorated and equipped with great views of the water hole. There was never a dull moment there. Rodney, Nico and all the staff were most welcoming and all clearly want to make Jamala is the best. Thank you to them all, we loved our stay.

Room Tip: We were in number two so nearer the main building and waterhole. All rooms were of the same high qu...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Hurst-Brown
Thank you for the review, Jamala is very small and we love how intimate the experience can be for us and guests. That brand new vehicle has been sloshing around in the mud as we have had some incredible much needed rainfall. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the Villas and the remarkable waterhole. Rodney, Daniel, the entire team and I hope to see you back soon for some more delicious Safari at Jamala Madikwe
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Thank you Jamala!! The service and scenery will make my stay there forever etched in my memory. Although our stay was short, I felt like I was very well rested and relaxed when I returned home. The personal touches, delicious food and friendly characters made it all the more special. Spectacular place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Rodney S, Owner at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Jamala is special and we are so happy to have made your stay magical. The Jamala-ian's thank you for the great comments on personal touches, food and service. Spectacular places draw spectacular guests ;)
Woodstock, Vermont
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We came to Jamala for my birthday back inn July 2012. The resort, the people and the wildlife far exceeded my expectations. The rooms and common areas were beautiful and impeccably clean. The food was absolutely delicious, and having lunch on the deck with game at the water hole was just sublime.

But at the end of the day, we came for the game drives and they did not disappoint.

Lastly, the entire staff was welcoming, knowledgeable and oh so friendly.

We couldn't have asked for a nicer visit - we just need to find the time to get back there!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Rodney S, Owner at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Jamala is so happy to have been able to make your birthday a special one. The waterhole is as busy right now with daily Elephant visits at lunch and the occasional Buffalo sighting in the evenings at dinner.
We hope you make time to return to this beautiful spot in Africa, we would love to have you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Jamala delivered an experience way and beyond my expectations from the day I checked in until the day I checked out. In fact check in was as paperless and non-procedural as if you were walking into your own home. Rodney, Nico and their warm staff provided a personal service sprinkled throughout my stay that was impeccable as was the villa I stayed in. Daniel, the guide was both professional and educational. One of the most unique experience to Jamala apart from the food was the watering hole in front of the lodge providing a window day and night, into the animal kingdom.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Nico V, General Manager at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hi Nelson
Thank you for this warm review, Jamala Madikwe and it's entire team is always happy to get this kind of feedback. We are so pleased that we could go beyond your expectations. The incredible elephant sightings at the Jamala waterhole definitely helped.

Africa is so special and I am truly grateful that you could enjoy Jamala as if you were in the your own home. We hope you will return one day, all the best to J.
NSW
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Where do you start? This is more than a special place, it is superb. The attention to detail surpasses any I have experienced. The water hole was very active and the safari trips were amazingly planned and well organised. We saw all of the top animals. The staff were attentive and professional, could not fault anyone. The villas were very spacious, private and luxurious. This was my first safari and I was a little anxious but I had no reason to be at all. I loved every minute of it and was tearful upon leaving. I will be back!

Room Tip: Difficult to say because the animals pass by all the rooms so you can easily wake up to an elephant...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Nico V, General Manager at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Dear Doreen / Anita
We are so happy to get this great review from you, thank you. Jamala is a very special place, and I am so happy you enjoyed the little details. The sighting we had of the Leopard in the Leadwood tree is still fresh in my memory and we were thrilled to share such a special moment with you both. I will pass your generous comments to all the Jamala-ian's. we look forward to your next visit.

Elephants will be waiting outside your room I'm sure ;).
Nico
Crawley,West Sussex
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Having Taken to Safari over the last 15 years - this experience simply blew my mind! The short flight on Federal Air ( 1 hour) made it comfortable to get from Johannesburg . Being met by Daniel who looked just too young for the amazing wealth off knowledge and bags of energy he has for the job as a tracker to arriving with the warmest smiles form Rodney ,Nico and his amazing team who have such a beautiful charming influence over you immediately made you feel special.
To find Rhino/ Elephant / Giraffe and many others on the short drive onto the lodge was just the beginning. We spent 3 nights seeing all the Super 7 - Cheetah / Leopard / Wild Dogs and Hyenas to name just a few? And did one drive where we saw 6 of the 7 .
To find 20 Elephants at the waterhole as you sip a welcome champagne cocktail with a waterhole that is so close you can almost touch it was breathtaking - to find you are there only guests for 11/2 days made it soooo exclusive !
Then you get taken to the room !!!!! Or is it a Villa! I have never seen such well appointed spacious luxury in the bush in all my times out there.
Nico runs a great ship in such a laid back way . As 2 guys traveling we felt at such ease with these guys and there team - Precious / Lesego / Happy and the entire kitchen team are all so smiley and want to do so much to make u feel at home and the spa is a little extra luxury worth exploring .
I really cannot fault this place ( why should I ! It's brilliant ) and the evening spent drinking too much with Rodney and Nico made it seem like being away with friends .
The Game drives insane, the food exceptional the place is just beautiful and a staff who make it all seem like a dream I want to go on forever !
Well done and I will return to paradise one day !

Room Tip: Only 5 and all are superb - don't understand why everyone thinks room 1 is so good as you can ge...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AndyDave
Rodney S, Owner at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you Andy for your fantastic review. We are thrilled the experience here at Jamala Madikwe was exceptional for you. Your praise for the staff who made your stay great is also noted and immensely appreciated by them. The entire experience needs to compliment one another and as you have mentioned the game viewing with not only the Big 5 but Super 7 as well, excelled as well. Madikwe is renowned for a diverse range of animal sighting opportunities especially Wild Dog and I am happy you had the opportunity to see them in action. Cuisine is also a very important aspect of a Safari and we are very proud of the exceptional dishes being prepared by our team and the praise makes it all worthwhile. Since we established the Spa, it has become a firm favourite with new and returning guests alike.
Thank you and paradise awaits your return. Rod, Nico, Lucky and the entire team at Jamala Madikwe.