“Fantastic break”
Review of Jaci's Tree Lodge

Jaci's Tree Lodge
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic 3 day break. The service was exceptional. The staff were warm and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are large with very comfortable beds and great outdoor showers. The food was great and the wine list had a very good selection of wines. When we checked out we discovered that our car had been washed. A wonderful place to relax.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank viv123
EmmannuelM, Manager at Jaci's Tree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for your review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much.

There are newer reviews for Jaci's Tree Lodge

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I recently spent two nights at Jaci's Tree lodge with my teenage son who was visiting South Africa from New York. Although we now live in the UK, we have lived in South Africa previously and visited several 5 star game lodges in the past. I would not rate this as a five-star experience at all. The rooms and the game drives were acceptable, however the service is poor and the food is way below a 5 star rating. There are far better game lodges in South Africa, at this price. We certainly never had the same experience as many of the reviews we had read on Trip Advisor about this lodge (perhaps the main lodge is better than the tree lodge).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WendyLou W
EmmannuelM, Manager at Jaci's Tree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

I am deeply sadded by your review as I personaly asked you several times during your stay if you were enjoying yourself and everything was to your satisfaction , each time you replied you were happy and everything was fine / ok .if you had discussed with me or (or any of my staff member ) the specific of your dissatisfaction ,each and every one of us would have done everything possible to meet your expectation.
Thank you for pointing out we are not 5 star lodge and we wholeheartedly agree .we market and advertise ourselves as such on our website nor any of our marketing colaterol – jacis pride itself on offering a genuine bush lodge experience , including all of lifes little luxuries along with friendly service ,professional staff and south African inspired fire cooked meals – all aimed enhance the bush atmosphere we want our guests to experience .You can be assured we will discuss your comment with all department concerned as we always strive to ensure our service and standard are exceptional
Thank you for your review –our guests feedback is always appreciated and acted upon

Reviewed 12 March 2014

From the moment we walked through the door, the service was exceptional. We were made to feel special and nothing was too much trouble. The food was marvellous and served in different places each night. The singing inspired and beautiful. The rooms private and indulgent, the outside shower invigorating. We saw the big 5 in the first 2 days, our guide was fantastic. All in all I have always wanted to visit South Africa, I will never forget Jaci's.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
EmmannuelM, Manager at Jaci's Tree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Wow, What an amazing response! Thank you very much.
It is such a great honor to know you had chosen Jaci’s and that we not only met your needs, but did everything we could to make you feel comfortable and at home. Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the items such as outside shower being so close to nature, singing of staff and fabulous food.
We too hope that you return to Jaci’s one day, soon!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Exceptional in every way. True hospitality and service by the very friendly staff. The game drives are amazing. The park is small but has everything you'd like to see. The rooms are beautiful - very private. 8 rooms in total connected by a walk way. Room has super comfortable bed, huge tub (filled with bubble bath for us after a rainy evening game drive - wonderful surprise), outdoor shower (private) and a balcony that allows great wildlife watching mid day. A GREAT part of our stay was the food cooked by Virginia. She made me special gluten free/dairy free food for every meal, snack and high tea. Out of this world. Never had such service. Truly delicious. Additionally, I absentmindedly left my diamond rings on the desk during a morning game drive. I was so relieved to find them exactly where I left them. This speaks to the quality and dedication of the staff. This was perhaps the best travel experience I've ever had. You'll be blown away.

Room Tip: They're all the same - you can't go wrong. Some comments aren't for the tree lodge. Ther...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BarbaraP101
EmmannuelM, Manager at Jaci's Tree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Wow, What an amazing response! Thank you very much.
It is such a great honor to know you had chosen Jaci’s and that we not only met your needs, but did everything we could to make you feel comfortable and at home. Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the items such as out outside shower being so close to nature, and the hide. bubble bath ! Where of a more perfect to spend your quite time but there, getting to know and see nature in another level, its an incredible spot,

We too hope that you return to Jaci’s one day, soon!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This review comes very late (3 months after my visit) but my memories are no less vivid. Jaci’s Tree Lodge is now firmly imprinted in my memory bank for all the right reasons.
As a solo traveller, initially I was a little apprehensive at the thought of staying in a ‘room in the trees’ all by myself. I needn’t have worried. The rooms are accessed via solid wooden walkways and torches are available after dark. My room was huge, as was the wonderfully comfortable bed, beautifully decorated in natural, earthy colours. To pick up on points in previous reviews, the safe box is exactly the same size as in all hotels! No, there is no telephone, and I admit this was a concern for me before I went. But my cell phone worked fine most of the time, so it wasn’t a problem. For emergencies there is a loud-hailer in each room, which I gather would wake up the whole camp! Oh and by the way, reference a previous reviewer’s criticism, when I saw one pretty little bug on my bed I just had to smile. Who hasn’t had a spider or a wasp in their own home? We were in the bush for heaven’s sake!
The main lodge was fabulous – huge and airy and again beautifully decorated. We ate outside most evenings. Nothing to beat relishing great food and wine under star-filled African skies. And wow, the food was amazing. Virginia and Micha, the chefs, deserve special mention! As do the rest of the staff. Warm and generous-hearted, nothing was too much trouble for them. They made me feel so welcome and so at home. What, I wonder, did a previous reviewer mean when they described them as ‘over-friendly’? Might I suggest this particular person was somewhat ‘under-friendly’!
So yes, the lodge was beautiful in every way. Gorgeous surroundings, an enchanting path leading to the small swimming pool area with decking and sun loungers in a heavenly place surrounded by trees, where you can spy shy, tiny duiker wandering through. Not to mention the hide, right next to a huge water hole, where elephant, zebra, and other game come to hang out. Wonderful to be able to continue the game-viewing experience throughout the day, even when not on the official game drives.
As for the game drives. No two drives were the same. You never know what you’re going to see at any given moment. The landscape is stunning. Red rust roads and small silver trees, long grasses and wide open spaces. I fell in love with the Leadwoods – strange, ‘skeleton’ trees that stand starkly against a backdrop of pinky-purple skies. This is a place where creatures both hidden and seen make you feel their presence and power. I had an awesome guide in Roel who always seemed to instinctively know the right places to go, and even how to avoid the rain! Coffee stops in the mornings and sundowners in the evenings. Special memories of a rhino wallowing blissfully in mud, elephants taking a mud bath, lions mating, lions sleeping, lions drinking. Rare wild dogs out on the prowl or just asleep. Zebras fighting, jackal clubs playing, a black mamba slithering through the undergrowth. Just when we thought no animals were about, a waterhole teaming with wildlife – zillions of zebra, wildebeest, red hartebeest, impala, warthog, kudu – not to mention two male lions sleeping nearby in the sun. ‘Safari’ is too small a word for such a huge experience – food for the soul, where I felt completely at one with the landscape – such a privilege! So many more memories, but these will have to do – I’ve gone on long enough! Go to Jaci’s Tree Lodge! You could not choose a better place. I can’t wait to go back!

Stayed 7 nights, solo, 2nd-9th November

Room Tip: If you're on your own, ask for one nearest to the main lodge
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank LeeuMeisie

We are beyond pleased to hear that your stay here made you feel so comfortable and at home, for that is a big goal of ours. Our rangers are very hard working at keeping their knowledge up-to-date and will be pleased to hear of your positive response.
Amazing pictures to remind you of an incredible safari with the animals of Africa is a must, and we are glad to know that you got the pictures you wanted.Emergency hooter of course and wifi available for cellphone signal . Our chefs are very proud of their food and make only the best for our friends that come and stay with us.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Spent the valentines weekend and can only wax lyrical about the accommodation, service, food and game drives.

The food and wine were exceptional, large private well decorated rooms unbelievable comfortable and ideal for a romantic weekend, service was amazing with every possible whim catered for (including) a large bubble bath for valentines evening).
Paul the guide was fantastic and very knowledgeable.
This was our first time here but defiantly not our last.
Check out the video of the rooms. http://youtu.be/4PhBL8EzeGs

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review – it is sincerely appreciated by all of us at Jaci’s Tree Lodge and we are happy that we could live up your valentine to that which we are most proud of – the friendly service of our staff and guide Paul Please do visit us again .
We will check the video
we would love to welcome you back home !!!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We were treated to a visit to Jaci's as a (very generous) gift, so our expectations and knowledge were limited.

We arrived at night after what felt like a rather perilous road trip up from Joburg through the north western parts of South Africa, almost to the Botswana border. (On our return by daylight we realised we had been passing through very safe and friendly villages!).

As we arrived at the Park gates, we were met by a member of the lodge staff and escorted in to the Lodge. We had gone only a few meters before our minds were quite literally blown by night-sightings of wildlife which until that moment had been consigned to documentaries and zoos, all just meters from us.

We pulled in to the Lodge and the amazing (truly, truly, truly amazing) staff were waiting out front with a soothing aperitif, ready to show us straight to our outdoor table around the blazing open fire BBQ, which was a special treat that night.

So, within minutes, we realised we had arrived at a place that was something well out of the ordinary. By the time we had finished our magnificent meal prepared by our chef's loving and talented hands, we thought it was even better than that.

While getting up at 5am is not our usual preference, being gently and respectfully raised from our slumber by our magnificent guide David (insist on him by name) was only pleasure. Every single element of our comfort and enjoyment was attended to - we have quite simply never experienced anything like it.

The Park was wonderful, and the wildlife amazing. We were so lucky to have David as out guide. When it was suspected a group of cheetah had made a kill and were resting, David struck out to find them, utterly determined. Where all others failed, David succeeded, and we enjoyed the treat of an entirely private viewing before David alerted guides from other lodges of the Cheetahs' location (note that the guides in Madikwe are very respectful of the agreed viewing guidelines - no more than three vehicles per site at any one time, so it is never over crowded).

We saw amazing animals and scenes, but frankly it was Jaci's itself which will remain the experience which we most remember and long to repeat. The people, the place, the food, the atmosphere. We simply could not recommend it enough.

Add to that a rouge elephant on the loose in the Lodge compound overnight, and one really has some tales to tell…. but that's a story for another time!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your fabulous review. It is fantastic that during your stay at Jaci’s and Madikwe we were able to exceed all your expectations.
We agree Madikwe is an amazing reserve with spectacular game viewing, a night in the hide is a unique experience to observe nature during the nocturnal hours. We are glad you were able to enjoy the surprise of a variety of dining and outside dinners locations and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.