Jaci's Tree Lodge
US$125
Room 50 Two(Gaborone)
US$198
TripAdvisor
All reviewsoutdoor showerphotographic safaristar bedgame driveswater holegreat skillwater levelrooms are hugegreat reservebeautiful birdswatering holespecial tripa wonderful stayfire pitmorning and eveningbubble bathafternoon drive
Reviewed 24 July 2014

It has become a tradition to celebrate my birthday each year by travelling - the tradition is to visit some part of our beautiful country that we have never been to before and of course to stay in a previously un-experienced hotel, lodge or other appropriate accommodation. This year our choice was Jaci's Lodges and in particular the tree lodges.

As the names suggests, it is a giant tree house - except this one is for adults to play in!!! The Lodges are built on stilts and therefore they appear to be built among the trees. It makes for an extremely private accommodation experience. The lodges are approximately 10mx4m, so you can imagine that you have every reason to enjoy the expanses of your lodge. Each lodge has an expansive wooden deck allowing you to enjoy its privacy, the opportunity to read or do whatever brings you to Jaci's.
Game drives are an early start, 6am, and in the beauty of the Madikwe game reserve, it is a sunrise well worth seeing. Our gams drives were a treat with the game vehicle to ourselves and a passionate and knowledgeable guide names Lucky. Madikwe is big five game country and we saw it all. Some of our fellow guests on the afternoon drive even got to see a kill and the opportunity to see many predators converge on the kill. The bush is a unique experience in winter - the crisp morning air, the coffee break midway through the drive and in our case, an introduction to a new taste - Hot chocolate with Amarula! It warmed me immediately- definitely my preferred way of having hot chocolate in future!

Breakfast is brunch served after your morning game drive, around 10am . An array of foods are provided to satisfy every taste - fruit, yoghurts, cereals, pastries, the usual South African bacon and eggs breakfast and even a hot meal- my personal favourites, the spaghetti bolonaise and the lamb pie. The meals are exceptionally well prepared and presented and the portion sizes just right. My personal favourites included the stuffed mushroom and phyllo pastry baskets (starters), the sweet potatoe and cumin soup and the lemon and herb sole with seasonal roasted vegetables. Rolls and breads are home made and served with a chilli, garlic and olive oil as a spread. The food caters for every taste and together with the corkage practice, makes Jaci's tree lodges a winner.

The service is exceptional with staff committed to meeting the every need of every guest. Given that we were the only guests at the lodge on our arrival, dinner was private, intimate and sumptuous, as was our breakfast the next day.

The watering hole that Jaci's boasts is a popular hideout for animals throughout the day. Jaci's has a hide built immediately adjacent to the watering hole. We were treated to an array of performances each day by the animals that we were so keen to see in their natural habitat. It was while having sundowners here one evening that we were able to see the Milky way in all its beauty.

This time of year is quite cold and the lodge is very well equipped in this regard so guests never feel cold including hot water bottles and blankets on the morning games drives.

Some pointers that the management may want to consider:
Please can you do plunger coffee in the lodges ( pretty please - instant just doesn't work) and possibly a comfort kit made up of headache tablets, eno's or any other heartburn remedy. Firmer pillows would have been greatly appreciated(I am more and more tempted to carry my own pillow with me everytime I travel!)

Finally thank you for a wonderful birthday weekend. It exceeded all my expectations.

Room Tip: Room 8 is the most private room. All lodges have an outside shower and an indoor bath.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smoodley
EmmannuelM, Manager at Jaci's Tree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2015

Thanks very much for a wonderful review, We are happy that you have enjoyed you stay during you visit
Looking forward for your return

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Another short stay turned out to be as expected a memorable experience. The staff is amazing with exceptional service, food out of this world, accommodation fantastic and great wildlife. The weather was really cold but we were supplied blankets and water bottles on the game drive to make sure we didn't freeze.we will definitely be back sooner rather than later.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
EmmannuelM, Manager at Jaci's Tree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2015

Good to hear that you enjoyed a luxurious experience at Jaci’s. We are delighted that you enjoyed the game drives, the food and the service
Looking forward to see you again

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Have just spent 4 magical days at Jacis Tree Lodge .Everything about our stay was faultless
The Rangers were informative competent dedicated and enthusiasticIIt was amazing that we saw so many animals-lions ,cheetahs,rhinos,wild dogs,giraffes,zebras,wilder bees hyenas and of course all types of buck
..The staff were friendly helpful and courteous .The food was plentiful and delicious and the accomodation was luxurious spacious and in keeping with the overall bush experience.
I can honestly recommend Jacis tree lodge if you want an authentic "safari I"experience

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
EmmannuelM, Manager at Jaci's Tree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2015

Thank you for a wonderful review, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us
Looking forward to welcome you again

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We have been wanting to do an African Safari for a long time, and when our son turned 7, we made sure we do one this time. We chose Madikwe, for it being Malaria friendly and Jaci's for being child friendly. And child friendly it was! We travelled with my 7 and my 1 year old.
Our arrival was from the back / staff entrance as we missed the sign on the main road. We were received there, and taken care right from there by Julia. The room allocated to us was right next to the main dining area, so not much of a walk with the kids.

Hotel/Room: Basic, nice, well done, clean, spacious. A nice hide, over looking a watering hole

Food: Excellent. We were concerned as being vegeterians and Indian vegeterian that too, werent quite sure what would we get. But the food was DELICIOUS. everyday something new and really tasty. They make amazing baby food too... my son built an appetite out there.

Staff: Excellent again! Thomas our guide - knowledgable, patient, pleasing and experienced! Answered all the questions of my son patiently and did keep him entertained during our 6 drives. From the Big 5 to the magnificent 7 upto the top 10, we just missed the hyenas ...so saw all 9! My son was elated!
Joyce our baby-sitter and the rest of the staff (Johannas, David, Pule, Josaphine, Virginia... and sorry for the other names I missed as I dont remember all) who took care of my baby who was quite cranky cause the the time zone change and maybe the cold. He was fed, changed, entertained and taken care of by all. Not once did they complain, always smiling and that was a big comfort for me to go on the drives. Anja, who took my 7 year old for a walk to the hide and gave him information on various things on the way.

Madikwe as a reserve in my opinion has it all, the right location, the big 5 and the wild dogs, the best policy of not over crowding when there is a sighting. Lions have not more than 3 vehicles n so on...

Overall, we enjoyed every bit. It was unpretentious and really one of the best experience . Thank you Everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your fabulous review. It is fantastic that during your week stay at Jaci’s and Madikwe we were able to exceed all your expectations. We agree Madikwe is an amazing reserve with spectacular game viewing .
Looking forward to see you again

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I recently celebrated my 50th birthday at Jaci's Tree Lodge and saw the Big 5 on my Big 50. Best birthday present ever thanks to Lucky, our guide, who in addition to being a great tracker and spotter, was very informative. The staff at the lodge were friendly and attentive. Virginia and Solly prepared superb meals. The soups, the blesbok fillet and the lasagne were sublime. We were still talking about the food for days afterwards. The rooms were havens of tranquillity with giant tubs and incredibly comfortable beds. The best way to relax - three days at Jaci's is the equivalent of a three week holiday anywhere else. I have travelled fairly extensively and this is still my favorite place. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for a wonderful review, we glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us
Looking forward for you return