The Bush House
Jamala Madikwe(Madikwe Game Reserve)
US$1,517
Madikwe Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
US$1,228
US$987
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Madikwe Hills Private Game Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
US$1,743
US$1,666
  • Breakfast included
Rhulani Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)(Great Value!)
US$869
US$602
Etali Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
US$1,275
US$1,145
Madikwe River Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)(Great Value!)
US$814
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Tau Game Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)(Great Value!)
US$573
US$479
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Impodimo Game Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
US$822
SA Hotels
  • Breakfast included
Sanctuary Makanyane Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
US$952
SA Hotels
  • Breakfast included
Royal Madikwe Luxury Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
All reviewsunderground hidewater holewatering holegame drivesworld travelthese majestic animalseye viewthe reservean amazing place to stayduring our three day stayhome away from homefantastic stayspent many hoursgreater krugeramazing waterromantic mealsmall lodge
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I have just returned from a trip to South Africa during which my fiancee and I and a group of friends stayed at The Bush House for 3 nights. We drove a hire car from Jo'burg which was an easy enough drive taking about 4 hours. I have been on 2 safaris before but this experience was something else. From the minute we arrived we were greeted like old friends and pointed in the direction of the water hole at the end of the fantastically kept garden where a number of elephants were taking in their afternoon drink at the water hole.

During the day a variety of animals would come along and visit the water hole while we relaxed in the beautiful settings to the sounds of the bush veld - lions, buck, warthogs and hyena all frequented for a drink in addition to the dozens of elephants that we saw on a daily basis.

The game drives themselves were wonderful experiences with our guide Stefan being extremely knowledgeable about not only the animals themselves but also where to find them. Spotting a cheetah at dusk sat on a rock on the hillside amongst the trees is no mean feat. Being winter the morning and evening game drives were a little chilly at times - but this was helped by the blankets that were carefully laid out for you and the hot water bottle in the mornings was perfect - not to mention the hot chocolate (mornings) and sherry (evenings) as the staff welcomed you back to the resort.

The rooms were very well presented with a huge comfy bed that I would have been reluctant to leave had it not been for the other fantastic opportunities available.

The food and staff were absolutely fantastic and could not do enough to help us out during our stay. It is hard to imagine how a South African safari experience could represent better value for money than this, being one of (if not the) cheapest places to stay in the Madikwe Game reserve.

If you are thinking about staying here don't think, do it - you won't regret it!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank FredClubb
Reviewed 30 June 2009

bush house is just a wonderful place to stay in every respect. lovely building and grounds, exactly what you want an african game lodge to be. the rooms are spacious and well appointed, the food is excellent, the staff is the epitome of hospitality without stuffiness, the game drives and water hole offer fabulous game viewing. there really is nothing that can be improved on. it is an excellent value for the money. looking forward to returning some day.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My 13 year old daughter and I spent 4 days at The Bush House in April 2009. We had a great time and enjoyed the peace and tranquility after a very hectic week in Cape Town for a family wedding (we had flown from Australia). We ticked off all the boxes - saw the big five (very elusive those buffalo) / saw plenty of elephants at the waterhole at the Bush House. The rooms were superb and my daughter enjoyed the fact that the cookie jar got refilled at least three times a day. I enjoyed the big bath and the complimentary bath salts.
The game drives were fantastic and our guide, Stefan, certainly knew his stuff. We were lucky enough to see a majestic leopard 10 minutes into our first drive. The only minor niggle is that sometimes we missed out on game in the rush to get back to camp - we obvioulsy had gone far out searching for something or on the hunt and then there was a charge to get back - not sure why, as breakfast/brunch could have waited another 20-30 minutes.
I think we may have been unlucky with staff turnarounds as on day 1 we had certain staff that disappeared on day 2. Luck of the draw.
I was also not that comfortable with the tipping policy - envelopes were provided and there was obviously an expectation for tipping - but what for? The only thing out of what I would have expected for the price was the taking of the bags to the room (and this we even did ourselves on the way out). I tipped because I felt I had to....

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2009

This place is a great choice for a honeymoon couple. I would imagine it's nice for families and other travellers as well. We arrived here after a drive up from Johannesburg and fell in love with the place straight away. We were lucky enough to be the only ones there and were so well looked after; we really felt spoilt. Talk about the perfect honeymoon. We saw all the big 5 and more together with our lovely guide. The high tea was out of this world.

The Bush House only sleeps a maximum of 12, so it's probably just as nice being there when it's full. It was just so perfect to pretend that it was "our own" during the first four nights of our honeymoon.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 November 2008

My mother and I were in Johannesburg in 2002 (I know, this was a while ago, but I just joined TripAdvisor and the first thing I thought of was to put a review for the most amazing travel experience I've ever had: The Madikwe Bush House). I booked the whole thing online (including arranging the reasonably-priced charter flight from Johannesburg with pickup).

Quite simply, this place was perfect. It was the off-season, winter in South Africa. We were welcomed like family, and after the first night by the boabab tree, it was as if we had these great friends who happened to have house in the bush. The safari viewing was incredible (and the guide, AJ, a true kindred spirit). We saw lions feeding, elephants mating, rhinos, giraffes, wild dogs, etc. I never wanted to leave. The food was superb, the bedding was sublime (I can still remember it!) and the lodge was impeccably clean. I honestly want to get married here. Forget that, I want to live here!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)