“luxury in the bush”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madikwe Game Reserve
Mateya Safari Lodge
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“luxury in the bush”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

First the one disappointment. We came hoping to see wild dogs but a pride of lions had killed nearly all of them 2 months ago-nobodies fault-its what lions do. Otherwise the game viewing was great-we saw all the big 5 the first afternoon and evening from the lodge. If you were so inclined you could have spent your time game viewing from your own deck and the main lodge. However we went on a sunrise and sunset game drive each day with our great guide Brendan who was knowledegable about animals birds trees and insects . We also had a terrific tracker, Edward, who guided Brendan to unusual sightings. One of the best things about this lodge is they only have 4 guests to a vehicle
|The food was good, and the house wine extraordinary We ate one night with all the guests (there are only 5 suites) at the main dining table hosted by Susan the American owner, and another downstairs in the wine cellar.
The whole complex was like a museum of mainly West African art collected by Susan-I'm going to inspect the Benin Bronzes in the British Museum next time I am in London.
Our rooms were very comfortable and air conditioned -however do use the mosquito netting -I was careless the first night and got bitten .We did have trouble with bath water but it was fixed quickly .The internet access was the best I had on this African trip. However ,cellphones don't work in the lodge.

• Liked — The views of game from the lodge
  • Disliked — Getting up at 5.am
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank llewellynroger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

This being my third trip to South Africa I decided to plan a seven day trip and booked myself into Singita the first three nights and then into Matyea the last four nights. Having been told that Singita is top of the line I was preparing myself for a let down at Mayeta, well as they say in life "Save the best for last" was an under statement.

Upon our arrival at the lodge we were taken to our room which offered us the most fabulous view of the game reserve. The room featured a beautifully appointed bedroom, a bathroom that was larger then my New York living room and a double glassed in shower and outdoor shower. The flexibility of being able to have only four people in a vehicle made it seem like we had our own private lodge. After tearing ourselves from our room we were treated to a gourmet lunch served on the outdoor deck, in fact I must add for the four nights we never sat in the same room for dinner, one night we were in the formal dining room (with two fire places burning), then the romantic wine cellar, followed by fire pit and the last night in the main lodge indoor sitting area by a roaring fire. The lodge offered us breakfast each morning, lunch, high tea and dinner, each meal was better then the last.

As far as seeing the animals we were able to see the "big five"a as well as the "super seven".

If it is possible to have a perfect 10 then Mayeta has it.

• Liked — The staff to guest ratio
  • Disliked — It was perfect
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank 818madison
Pwllheli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2008

Uber-luxurious private suites with a private patio area and plunge pool. Outside and inside showers. Top class cuisine with free wine from a comprehensive cellar collection.Maximum of four passengers on the game drives made for a more personal experience.Small cosy and friendly lodge.Wildlife can be seen at their drinking hole from the suites and the lounge/dining room.

6 Thank eifionrefail
Wiltshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2008

Mateya is truely magical place, the rooms, service, food and game drives are all superb. We will most definately return...

• Liked — Wonderful Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TTravel71
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2006

We spent our first 2 nights at Madikwe Hills, which we thought was amazing. Then we went to Mateya, and Madikwe Hills paled in comparison. A truly spectacular experience.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank JimboG
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2006

I recently returned from my 4th trip to South Africa. I stayed at the Mateya Safari Lodge in the Malaria Free Zone of Madikwe (Northwest part of South Africa). This is the nicest accommodations I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world. I'm well traveled and have stayed in luxury properties around the world but this ranks # 1 for pure luxury, attentive service, friendly staff, outstanding gourmet food including the presentation, and magnificent game viewing with knowledgeable drivers.

I have stayed in nice properties in South Africa including Mala Mala, Singita, and Leopard Hills. Each of these were nice but nothing as special as Mateya. There are only 5 very private suites . Each is huge with large bathrooms, fireplace, outdoor showers, air conditioning, private decks and plunge pools. The main lodge is full of original artwork, furniture and sculptures. There are even spectacular massive wooden doors on the main lodge and each of the suites. They did not spare any expense or overlook any detail. There is a wine cellar that I believe I overheard has 8,000 bottles of wine. Complimentary laundry and internet are included. There is a wonderful spa that offered every service you would find at any high end spa. (I had good intentions but never made it there for a massage and facial). The game drives are in comfortable land rovers with only 4 of us, not the usual 6 people. No more than 3 rovers are allowed at any one sighting so you never felt crowded and the wildlife (including wild dogs) was everywhere. Excellent game drives and I never once saw a mosquito. Mateya also offers bush walks, boma dinners and bush breakfasts. The boma dinners are outside on a round deck with a sunken firepit. It was a magical experience I will never forget.

If you want the very finest, you will want to stay at Mateya. As much as I like to try new lodging and gaming experiences, I'm afraid we were so spoiled that anywhere else will be a let down. Mateya is expensive as all 5 star lodging in South Africa is but I actually considered it an excellent value for the money compared to what I've paid elsewhere for luxury lodging that was nice, but inferior. Mateya gets my highest praise and recommendation.

13 Thank pjammin123
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2005

Mateya Safari Lodge represents all that a small, exclusive safari experience should be. The lodge itself is beautiful containing an amazing collection of African artifacts and artwork everywhere you look. The suites (only 5 of them) are complete with every amenity you could possibly need or want. The most comfortable beds and devine linens. The outdoor shower is a must! You can even watch herds of elephant, buffalo, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, etc., coming and going to the waterhole just off the end of your private plunge pool deck...the lions roaring at night was a huge thrill! The staff was always friendly and attentive but not intrusive. The chef is top-notch. The game drive vehicles are super comfortable. We loved our morning tea during our early drives. We loved our sundowners too for that matter...fantastic sunsets! The rangers were very knowledgeable and capable...in fact, we saw the Big 5 the very first full day we were there! However, we never felt as if we were in a Disney setting. It's the real deal. We've been to other lodges in South Africa, many very nice indeed, but Mateya has spoiled us for good! We will definitely return one day soon!

• Stayed June 2004