“Wonderful place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madikwe Game Reserve
Mosetlha Bush Camp & Eco Lodge
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My dad and I had a really amazing time at Mosetlha. It was both of our first times in South Africa, and we couldn't have had a better time. We hope to be able to come back someday! The animals are AMAZING, Johnny (the ranger who took us on game drives) is so knowledgeable and funny, and the staff and the settings were beautiful. We would both love to come back here, and are so thankful for such a cool first safari experience! The donkey boilers were quite cool as well :) It's absolutely silent at night, and the stars are some of the brightest we have ever seen. Thanks Greg & everyone else!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth S
Caroline L, Owner at Mosetlha Bush Camp & Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2015

Dear Elizabeth S
Thank you to you and your dad for choosing Mosetlha for your first safari experience ... hope we haven't set the bar too high!
Thank you for your lovely review.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I pondered how and where to spend three nights and four days on safari in South Africa, debating Kruger vs alternatives. We were just delighted to find Mosetlha Eco Lodge, a bush camp with outstanding staff and management and a very charming simplicity. Madikwe, where Mosetlha is located, seems to have a sophisticated and enlightened approach to natural resource management. We saw not only the big five, up close and personal, including a nursing baby white rhino and a leopard confronting a hyena interested in stealing its kill--but also a black rhino and calf, cheetahs, a pack of wild dogs, many giraffes with calves, a monitor and bustards, etc. The camp is rustic, with very good food and the absolute best facilities without running water or electricity that I have every seen. The lack of any fence around the camp--with the exception of an electrified wire to keep out elephants--adds some thrill to the evenings. Our guide was invariably effective at finding animals, and always courteous and informative. Greg the manager and Chris the owner offered valuable perspectives on history, ecology, and management of the park. We would recommend a visit to friends and family wholeheartedly and enthusiastically!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Randall L

A really complimentary review.
The exclusivity of only lodge vehicles and guides ensures truly spectacular game viewing in Madikwe. Well done on your sightings :)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was my 14th trip so I think that says it all. Superb as usual, all amenities great, staff fantasic, Gregg the Camp Manager a perfect Host, and the game viewing out of this world! I thought I would focus this paticular review around some advice and tips that may be useful to people who still have not visited Mosetlha.
If you snore, advise them before you go - they can put you in a cabin where you wont inconvenience other guests.
Also advise any dietary or other needs beforehand - it is much easier for them to try cater if they know well in advance.
If you are driving from Johannesburg, both Swartruggens and Zeerust have Wimpeys where you can get a good breakfast before you arrive.
Be careful of speed traps on the outskirts of both these towns, and also watch the smaller Villages between Zeerust and Abjaterskop Gate.
Dont arrive earlier than the time stipulated. Guests checking out are taken to the pick up/ drop off point and new guests are fetched at the same time. If you are early, you may have a long wait before you are collected.
Make sure all your electronic equipment is charged and if you need batteries, make sure you have enough spare- there are no shops where you can just pop in!
I always take a spread of smaller denominations of notes when I take cash - this helps everyone if you want to pay gratuities and only have larger denominations.
Dont take your own alcohol - they have a good spread of drinks, and run a "honesty" system.
If you do happen to have snacks with you, dont leave them in your suitcase overnight - it is a Bushcamp and creatures big and small can roam through - I now lock this sort of thing in the room safe provided ever since a mouse gnawed my camera bag!
Animals may on ocassions come into camp - never approach them as they are wild and as such could be unpredictable
Closed comfortable shoes are the best when in camp - I stopped wearing sandles after a bee sting on my toe!
To save battery life, I take my cell battery out, leave it in the safe during the day, and then put it together in the evenings
Hat/ cap and sunscreen are a must in summer, and dont under estimate the value of this in winter as well - rather be safe and make sure that you always have these on hand
In winter, you really do need a scarf, jacket, gloves and a beanie for drives
If you enjoy fresh air at night, ask the staff not to button down the canvas flaps on the sides of your cabin before you leave for the afternoon game drive.
Take a torch with you when you leave on your afternoon drive - always handy when you come back in the dark.
Always listen to the Field Guides instructions when on a drive and never ever stand up in the vehicle when close to any animal.
If you have any particular interest eg birds/ trees etc, tell your Field Guide before you leave on a drive . They are all exceptionally knowledgeable and would be able to point things out to you.
I really like what I call a " Bushveld Cuppachino" when we stop for coffee on a morning drive - Amarula cream in my coffee instead of milk and sugar! Remember to take a small one before you leave and dont forget to write it up in the " Honesty" book
Last but not least, try write in the comments book when you leave

Hope this is useful?

Room Tip: See actual review for various tips
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Gerald D

Thank you so much - very useful advice for other guests.
I really appreciate this - and look forward to seeing you AGAIN at the end of Feb!
Caroline

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

When you're going on safari, the most important item is game viewing and Mosetlha delivered thanks to outstanding guiding by Johnnie. We found six of the magnificent seven (missed the leopard) on four game drives.

Then, the camp experience. Great food, conversation, and overall experience... Especially the donkey boiler to take a shower.

What a great way to spend a weekend to get out into nature. Thanks to the entire Mosethla staff!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Brandon F

Thanks very much, BrandonF
Short and sweet and to the point. Love the authentic label :)
Much appreciated.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I looked forward to my return to Mosetlha bush Camp with anticipation, as well as a slight bit of apprehension -- too many times, second visits to spots you loved the first time around can wind up disappointing. That said, my second visit exceeded my expectations, by far. Simply stated, Mosetlha is a GEM of a bush camp!

This is the way African safaris should be. The camp gets you as close to the bush as possible without causing undue sacrifices. Is this a "roughing it" experience? Let's see .... I'm sleeping in a protected, cozy, sturdy, safe bungalow, in a warm and comfortable bed. The cabin will be tidied up and the bed made for me while I am out on game drives. When I return from a game drive, there is plenty of hot water made available for me, hearty and delicious meals cooked for me, with an honor bar with a wide assortment of spirits, wines, beers, and cold drinks available at minimal markup over supermarket prices. Yes, there is no running water, but the VIP toilets are the cleanest "port-a-potties" I have ever come across in 40+ years of camping, and the hot water on tap via the "donkey boiler" heaters insured that showering was anything but a hardship.

The staff is friendly and helpful; reports about a certain member of the ownership family being "overbearing" are laughable....Plucky, colorful, entertaining, endearing; indeed. Overbearing? I don't think so.

Saving the best for last, the safari drives were out of this world. The wildlife viewing ranks among the best I've seen in Africa, and this was my tenth time to Southern Africa on safari. Bull elephants sparring, lions stalking and mating, a pack of wild dogs, cheetahs. More wildlife sighting were packed into three days than I usually see in weeks -- Madikwe is TRULY one of Southern Africa's best-kept secrets.

If you are the kind of traveler who wants to be pampered and enjoy the bush in the sterile environment of a 6-star resort, Mosetlha is certainly NOT for you. Please think carefully before booking here if you are a comfort queen. But if you don't mind getting a little of the African dust on your feet, and want to experience the bush in as authentic a manner short of camping - while still being carefully cared for - Mosetlha is the camp for you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank JAMESINTHAILAND

Beautifully written review (far too many kind words!!)
Thank you so much, JamesInThailand :)
Sincerely appreciated - look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Madikwe Game Reserve and the Mosetlha Bush Camp & Eco Lodge within
the reserve are very very special places. The reserve itself is a magnificent 75,000 hectares
situated on the Botswana border not all that far from Gaberone. The entirety of the reserve,
however, is within South Africa (specifically the North West Province), about 90 kilometres
roughly north of Zeerust. The Mosetlha Bush Camp & Eco Lodge is located in the
pulsating heart of the reserve and it is, indeed, the second oldest and most charming lodge
within the reserve. I have stayed in the Mosetlha Bush Camp on four occasions including,
most recently, the weekend of June 21, 2014. The Mosetlha Bush Camp is unfenced and
it offers a very organic and affordable experience of the Madikwe Game Reserve. Based on
ecologically friendly environmental principles, the Mosetlha Bush Camp is exceptionally
designed for maximum exposure (with minimal impact) to the extraordinary wildlife of the
reserve. The lodge itself is finely attuned to the surrounding bush and it offers basic but
exceptional facilities. The meals are lovely and the staff are very friendly. The field guides
are arguably some of the very best in the entire reserve: they are simply astounding! There
are two game drives per day (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) of approximately
fours in duration each. If you love wildlife and the bush, the drives are immensely enjoyable.
Whenever I visit the Mosetlha Bush Camp I enter into a state of deep serenity. The lodge
is one of the most relaxing places in world. In a nutshell: very highly recommended !!!
-- Dr. Anthony Weston

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AR-Weston
Caroline L, Owner at Mosetlha Bush Camp & Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you, Tony, for such a beautifully written report.
Thank you for painting such a beautiful picture of Madikwe and highlighting how we fit into it.
We really appreciate your kind words - and are looking forward to seeing you back very soon :)

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Mosetlha is a great lodge for getting an intimate and raw bush experience. The lodge is unfenced ( apart from a line of electric fence high up to keep elephants out). The facilities are basic but easy to use, comfortable and serve their purpose. If you visit during winter be sure to take plenty of warm clothes. The lighting creates an amazing atmosphere at night.

The game drives are about 4 hours long which is great. The game viewing was plentiful and our guide was able to make great finds. For us as photographers, unfortunately our guide did not see things from a photographic point of view. Rather than trying to position us to get the best composure, background and light, he rushed in with only the aim of getting as close as possible.

The negatives that did tip the balance for us were the following. These are to guide travellers but also to give some constructive criticism to allow Mosetlha to improve.

No food prior to a 4 hour game drive in the morning was my lowest point of our stay. I had to ask our guide each morning for some fruit just so we could make in through to breakfast at around 11:30 or 12:00! Dry rusks and tea just doesn't keep one full for 4 or 5 hours. The first morning I thought maybe we'd get offered something more significant on the game drive break but only the same dry rusks were offered.
Some cereal with warm milk, muffins, toast and/or fruit would make a world of difference.
Then when we finally did get breakfast, there was only 1 egg per person (1 was left over at one breakfast and my husband promptly grabbed it).
Cold toast and stiff scrambled eggs the next morning. (On this morning we were advised that more food can be prepared if need be). Pancakes on the last morning were great but only 2 per person - no offer of more.

Lunches we're always soup and stale rolls. Dinners were mediocre. The braai and potjie were average and minimal.

Each morning we were smoked out of our cabin when staffed stoked the donkey fire without taking into account wind directions. A warm bucket of water with the wake up call would be great. Also, a hot water bottle on the morning game drive would be much appreciated.

The owner/hostess was friendly but a little overbearing at times. The rest of the staff were very unfriendly though. A great routine at camp but this also leads to everyone using the ablutions at the same time.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Megan C

Dear Megan
Thank you for your comments.