“incredible”

Morukuru Family Madikwe
London, United Kingdom
“incredible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

fantastic place. we stayied in the farmhouse with the extended family. this place is fabulous for all ages. It is pretty unique to be in a game reserve, with no malaria, activities for little ones and big ones, great service and food. all pretty easily accessible. highly recommended

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nicg38
EluisaMorukuru, Public Relations Manager at Morukuru Family Madikwe, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
We really appreciate your feedback and review about our Morukuru Family in Madikwe. The whole team works hard to offer our guests the best possible experience and it is always so uplifting to read heartening comments such as yours. Sending you a whole lot of Morukuru magic, Eluisa and the rest of the “Family”

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Sydney Nsw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our family of 10 was here to celebrate our Mothers 70th Birthday. None of us had ever been on a Safari. Morukuru is an amazing, wonderful place to stay and experience the trip of a lifetime. The location and Farm House itself is incredible but what makes this even more special is the wonderful staff who cannot do enough for you to make sure you feel so welcome and at home. Our special thanks to Lindy our host who made sure all things ran smoothly and was always there with a warm towel and lovely smile at the end of each safari trip. Mark was our safari guide along with Ferguson our tracker. They were fantastic in tracking down the wildlife for us. It really is something special to see the animals in the wild. Nature at its best. We had so many wonderful moments on safari. A big thanks to Isaac our barman. The drinks were always coming and always tasted so good. He introduced us to Amarula of which is now a family favourite. He is also a soccer fan and kept my son company on those late night World Cup Games. This was the only time the t.v. was turned on. Compliments to the chef Esmerelda and her team of cooks who provided us with amazing dishes and new tastes such as Ostrich and Kudu. Last but not least all the rest of the staff who clean, maintain and even do some amazing singing. Overall this was an incredible experience my family and I will never forget. You have all excellent reviews because you have the magic recipe for the best holiday in the most amazing place. It is as good as all the reviews say. Our photos are amazing too!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

EluisaMorukuru, Public Relations Manager at Morukuru Family Madikwe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
The Morukuru Family loves celebrations and we are so enthused that your Mothers 70th Birthday will remain forever in your hearts.
May you always cherish your Morukuru memories.
Thank you for the lovely review!
Sending you a WHOLE LOT of Magic on behalf of everyone at Morukuru,
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife, 6-year-old son, and I recently stayed at the Morukuru's Owners House for a total of about 6 days. After reading about Morukuru on TripAdvisor, we were so impressed with the reviews that we changed our travel dates slightly to fit into Morukuru's availability. Given all the anticipation and many, many superlative reviews we read, I was a little concerned that the experience would fall short of our expectations. I'm pleased to say that my concerns were entirely unfounded.

Our Morukuru experience was like nothing my family has ever experienced. The Madikwe Game Reserve is amazing, with its abundance of wildlife and relatively few other people and Land Rovers to get in the way (unlikely Kruger, which I have heard is becoming more and more touristy). But for us, the Morukuru Owners House was the real gem. We had the pleasure of being taken care of by Jo (hostess), Wessel (ranger), "Gummy" (spotter/tracker), Asi (chef), George (butler), and the other fantastic team members with whom we had less direct contact. Everyone was always friendly, positive, and worked hard to maximize our experience. Asi is an AMAZING chef, and I wish he would have taken up my son's offer to come home with us! :) But beware...after a year of exercising and losing weight, my wife and I managed to both gain about 10 pounds during the less than a week we were at the Owners House! All the team members, especially those listed above were great, and Wessel and Gummy are a great team. We thoroughly enjoyed going out on daily (and sometimes twice daily) game drives with them, and no two were ever the same. I initially considered only staying for about 4 full days because I was concerned my son would become bored, but all of us would have happily stayed longer if given the opportunity. Jo told us that the staff typically stays together and works as a team, rotating occasionally through the various Morukuru properties (Owners House, River House, and Farm House, and possibly the new Ocean House). If we do get return in the future, we will definitely try to arrange a time that will correspond with the same group.

I could go on and on about our time with the Morukuru team, but I'm afraid people will stop reading. If you have any specific questions I can answer, please contact me through TripAdvisor and I am happy to help. I cannot recommend Morukuru highly enough, and though I am tempted to say it is a "once in a lifetime experience", I desperately hope we will have the opportunity to return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank forbachc
EluisaMorukuru, Public Relations Manager at Morukuru Family Madikwe, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
We love what we do and when we get a review like this it is just so rewarding and heartwarming.
Thank you so much.
Nothing makes us happier than knowing we have touched the souls of the guests that have stayed with us. Your African Family will be waiting with open arms to welcome you back again.
Best wishes and LOTS of African Sun - from all of us
wellesley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The magic of Morukuru is in its ability to suit any traveler. We traveled with our 3 kids, aged 6-11, and each one came away with treasured memories. The staff are warm and engaging and took special care of the kids. Our chef was talented and generous with her time, surprising the kids with time in the kitchen with her. We all adored our butler for his kind, calming presence.
Our lovely manager couple took care of all of life's details for us, freeing us to experience with awe and gratitude the gorgeous Madikwe area.
It is not an exaggeration to say that Madikwe feels like what I've always wanted to find. I won't forget the changing landscape on our drives, the look and feel of the sun, and the animals. We were close enough to hear, smell, and see them. It was an honor to glimpse these beautiful animals and birds in their natural environments, doing what they naturally do.
Our game driver and tracker worked together to give us many experiences for which we will always be grateful. Their respect for wildlife and their fascinating expertise will have a lasting influence on all of us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
EluisaMorukuru, Public Relations Manager at Morukuru Family Madikwe, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
In today's busy world with such little time for the things that matter most, we are so thrilled that you and your young family were able to enjoy the incredible Madikwe and all the wonders of Nature together as a family. I often tell people that we are do not only offer Big 5 Safari Experiences but that Morukuru is in the business of "giving back the gift of time to families". May you always cherish your memories of your African adventure. We hope that maybe one day we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to our new house in the De Hoop Nature Reserve called 'Morukuru Ocean House'. Its a family beach and nature experience come true.
Best wishes from all of us at Morukuru.
Eluisa and the Team
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

While there are many luxury lodges that offer incredible safaris, I can assure you that none match the Morukuru experience. If you are like me, and you rely heavily on tripadvisor for travel guidance, I feel confident in telling you to look no further. We flew from NYC to Joburg. We were met at the airport and escorted through customs and to our hotel thanks to the assistance coordinated with the Morukuru staff. Seamless. They met us the next morning, and transported all of our baggage (and there was a lot) to the private airport. We flew a quick one hour flight to the Bush, and we were met by our guides and their lovely COVERED Rovers. (A bonus as the African sun is intense, even in Winter) Our guides, Mark and Warren were EXCEPTIONAL on many levels... Their knowledge of the game, their patience for questions (from family members ranging in age from 14-75) their sense of humor and adventure, and their respect for the wild, all impressed us to no end.
There are many unique aspects to Morukuru that you will not find elsewhere. There are 3 guest houses, near each other but not on the exact site. Each house is privately rented... So you will not be going on your game drives with anyone outside of your party. There is no set schedule. As you are not conforming to the needs of other guests, you set the time for your meals, your game drives, your spa treatments (even quite late in the evening .. Pedzi is phenomenal!) It is literally like having your own private home in the bush... Only better ;)
Each day we were greeted by a friendly knock on the door to wake us, a 5 star breakfast, and a day filled with surprises (they are good at that!) and breathtaking experiences. Don't miss the sleep out in the wild! Cocktails and meals while on game drives were very special. While we covered a lot of ground, and stayed busy, it all kept pace with the rhythm and flow that our family desired.
Our family stayed at the Farm and River houses. Everything from the layout to the bedding to the shampoo is exceptional! ;) Our hostesses Lindie and Paula fulfilled every request with a smile. Phillip, Ma E(spelling??) the chefs and the entire staff at both houses were delightful... The best at their crafts.... And, most importantly, friendly and warm.
I also can't say enough about the food. Each menu was carefully thought through and expertly presented. Don't ever shy from trying the local specialties. That being said, we even requested a lunch of a traditional American cook out... And they grilled up burgers and fries outdoors on the River. Again, they could not have been more accommodating.
Be sure to bring your soccer shoes... You may be challenged to a "friendly" game... You may think they are not keeping score, but they are :))
We miss our Morukuru friends. Mark, Lindie,Paula and Warren are forever in our hearts.... As is the whole experience.

1 Thank Cheermom616
EluisaMorukuru, Public Relations Manager at Morukuru Family Madikwe, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for sharing this beautiful message with the world. Knowing that you all had such an unforgettable family experience at Morukuru means the absolute world to us. We all played a special part in your African Journey from myself, to Juane to everyone at Madikwe and we too will have you all forever in our hearts! We hope that you will all return again to your home in Africa - we will be waiting with open arms.
Consider yourself part of the Family for life.
Love from all of us,
Eluisa & the Team
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had the opportunity to spend two days at the Owner's House recently and I have to admit, I was blown away. I've done safaris in Madikwe before, and have never been disappointed by the quality and quantity of game sightings, but the folks at Morukuru go the extra mile to make the whole experience amazing. From the time you arrive until the sad moment when you pull away, the staff makes you feel like this is YOUR safari experience. I never felt like I was staying at a hotel that happened to be in a game park, this felt like I was at a second home surrounded by people that truly want me to be happy.

There wasn't one part of my stay that I thought needed improvement. The rooms are spectacular, clean, modern, and cozy. The staff is attentive without being overwhelming, always smiling, and fun to just sit around and chat with. The rangers and trackers are top notch, and you can tell from the start that they love their jobs. Having your own safari vehicle makes things that much better. Finally, the food was plentiful, tasty, and creative.

While not the cheapest option in Madikwe, I can't imagine getting better value for the money. Morukuru will create memories that you will never forget, and you can't price that. I will be back, and I can't wait!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but this short video is just a hint of how great this place is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jq76YIxU_0

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the houses. For a truly immersive experience, ask to spend a nig...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
MorukuruEluisa, Public Relations Manager at Morukuru Family Madikwe, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you so much for your taking the time to share your Morukuru adventure with us.
As you know, we love the video that you put together and have been sharing it with our entire "family circle". We do in fact LOVE what we do and just so delighted that this magic was passed onto you. We hope to be able to welcome you back to your "African home" again soon.
Best wishes from the whole team,
charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had the honor of staying at the Farm House last year and recently came back to stay in the "Owners House". This property is a 10 star. From the moment you step on property every detail is sorted. They pamper you and before you think of a request it's sitting in front of you. The photos are 100% what you get in real life. You would be hard pressed to find more luxury and better service anywhere in the world. In terms of food....amazing. From the steaks to the homemade ice-cream...you'll be surprised. There are a few other things...but if I tell you it'll ruin the surprise. Look forward coming back again. I even made a one minute video of my trip to honor them.

Room Tip: Ask to spend at least one night in the Bush outside.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dearest Brian,
We cant thank you enough for all the Morukuru magic you constantly share with others.
Love the video you put together for us too and have been showing it off to all and sundry :-)
We cant wait to welcome you again - this time with the whole family.
Best wishes from Andrew, Carri and the whole Morukuru clan.
Till your return,