Madikwe Safari Lodge
Impodimo Game Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Morukuru Family Madikwe(Madikwe Game Reserve)(Great Value!)
Sanctuary Makanyane Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
US$977
SA Hotels
  • Breakfast included
Jamala Madikwe(Madikwe Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
Etali Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
Tuningi Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Royal Madikwe Luxury Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
Madikwe Hills Private Game Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Rhulani Safari Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
Tau Game Lodge(Madikwe Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsplunge pooleco housewild dogsgame drivesthe reserveoutdoor showersafari lodgewonderful experiencelanding stripcape townlittle touchesthe entire staffranger guidespent nightshis knowledgeevery eveninghis job
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights with my wife and young son. Cannot say enough positive things about this lodge! The room was spacious, well set up and the very private. All the lodges are designed so you can't really see any of the others so you get a wonderful feeling of being there alone.

The staff were excellent, everybody from the waiting staff to the very knowledgeable guides on the safari were friendly and couldn't do enough for us.

The food was lovely, especially the open air BBQ which was a huge hit.

Would visit again in heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank The_Great_Stuartio
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I along with our 12 year old granddaughter cannot stop raving about our amazing experience at the Madikwe Safari Lodge ... the entire staff, the other guests, the 5-star food & beverages, the luxurious accommodations, the twice daily safari drives with our unbelievably knowledgeable and experienced (and funny) tracker/guide Billy. Our valet Isaac was wonderfully and sincerely attentive to our every need ... without being intrusive.

We got to see all of the Big 5 ... several times each. Our photo ops were unending. We were paired with a couple from Bonn, Germany and their delightful 11 year old daughter ... each of whom was fluent in English and tolerated my German (as a second language). Lisa (their daughter) and Gabby (our granddaughter) got to bake cookies together one afternoon ... and 'the girls' were our backup safari guides, taking photos and poring through the 'Safari auf Deutsch' book that showed all the English and German names for the wildlife we encountered. We missed nothing!

My personal favorite, aside from all of the Big 5, were the beautiful and intelligent Geldschnabel (Gold Beaked) Toucans, hovering around the main lodges open dining area ... helping themselves to a grape or two from time to time ... and ever-present on the safari drives. By the end of our stay, the words 'Geldschnabel Toucan' were rolling off our tongues with ease ... and accompanying laughter.

Frankly, there was not a single flaw, mishap or negative incident throughout our entire 4-day stay.

1  Thank TravelFoodWineGolf
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We (my daughter & myself) recently spent a magical 3 nights at Lelapa lodge
I can honestly highly recommend this lodge - the team were awesome and made us feel special all the time - especially my little girl who was treated like a princess!
The rooms are lovely with private plunge pools and endless views of the bush
The food was fantastic- staff friendly and accommodating
Game drives were our highlight and viewing surpassed my expectations. Billy our ranger was knowledgable, friendly and really great with my daughter.
Loads on offer to keep kids busy - although we didn't have time as we were out on drives or relaxing
Well worth a visit - I wish we'd stayed an extra night!

Room Tip: Wifi not in the rooms but in the main area
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family & I spent a great long weekend at Kopano Lodge which is very small and private. The suites are large and bright with a fantastic deck and private plunge pool which we unfortunately did not get to enjoy as the weather was very cold, but we really enjoyed the fireplace in the suite which was lit in the evening when we were at dinner. The staff, especially the housekeepers were brilliant - leaving messages on the chalk board every evening and seeing to everything from a choice of different pillows when my daughter found hers uncomfortable to running a stunning bubble bath for us one evening together with rose petals and candles! The food was outstanding and the dinner in the boma one evening was really special. The game was plentiful and I was particularly excited to see wild dog. A great touch were the blankets and hot water bottles on the early morning game drive which were such a great idea as it was really cold. I would definitely recommend Madikwe game reserve as a malaria free option when looking for game lodges.

Room Tip: The suites are quite far apart and the walk from the main area to the last suite is a bit of a distance.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Madikwe Game Reserve is West of Pretoria, bordering the Botswana / South Africa border. AS far as game reserves go this is still fairly new (20 years) however, it provides a wonderful game experience plus the accommodation is superb.

I flew in directly from the Sabi Sands Game Reserve on a new service provided by Unique Air and my ranger met me at the airstrip. The air strip is only 10 minutes away from the lodge.

The lodge (Lelapa) is made out of flat stone and has a sense of class & style without being ostentatious. The public areas comprise of a loving decking area overlooking the bush where lunch and dinners are sometimes serviced, a nice bar/lounge area with a large open fire place, a boma, an indoor dining area and a gathering lounge area. All the furnishing seamlessly blend in.

The rooms are a slight walk away from the main area which is good as they are private. From your room and your private deck with plunge pool you can't see the other rooms. The comfortable king bed, lounge, open fireplace making it a wonderful place to relax and enjoy. So it doesn't matter if you go in winter (Jun-Sept) or in Summer (Nov-Mar) you you can enjoy it.

The bathroom is large with separate shower and a stand alone bath, but the best is the out door shower. Showering under the night sky is a wonderful experience.

The staff were the best. Clive the sommelier, was very passionate about his wine (and his bubbly) and the game rangers (Andre and Joe) had similar passion for showcasing the bush to guests. I saw wild dog on the hunt which was amazing.

The property is well suited to couples and is an ideal getaway. However, the property does have another property called Kopona which comprises of only 4 suites so great for families or those travelling with friends. If you take the whole Kopona you have your own chef and game ranger.

I have been luck to stay and quite a few game lodges and this one I can highly recommend.

Room Tip: You can either road transfer to Madikwe from Johannesburg (about 4-5 hours) or you can fly in. Unless you plan to visit Sun City, which is about half way, I suggest flying in.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple