“Great food and fast service during our first visit to The Owl”

Owl Bar Cafe & Steakhouse
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Battle Ground, Washington
“Great food and fast service during our first visit to The Owl”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We tried the competition across the street earlier this year but kept hearing and reading good reviews on The Owl. We arrived a little after 1 PM and entered the restaurant. The history of the area and the restaurant is prevalent throughout the entry and the dining area. We were seated in a booth that had the history of the place mounted above each table - great reading. We had the BLT and a Green Chili Cheeseburger. The food was served quickly and served HOT. The bacon was sliced thick and piled high. The GCCB was hand made and had a very generous amount of fresh chili on it. The only negative item of note was that the lettuce was not as fresh as it could have been. Reasonable prices, fast service and great food - what more do you need when passing through or near San Antonio, NM? It is one minute off I-25.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Justj700

West Yellowstone, Montana
“Awesome Green Chili Cheeseburger”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've heard many good reviews on this place and my experience confirmed them to be true. Different GCCB from Sparky's but also very good. The burger is a good old fashion "splat" burger and I recommend two patties so it's goodness doesn't get lost in the green chilies, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. love the bun and fries. Love to sit at the bar which is from Conrad Hilton's rooming house before he started the Hilton hotel chain. Can't get that atmosphere from any thing built this century. A must for any burger groupie.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Terry J
Tesuque, New Mexico
“I just don't get it. Seriously”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've been to the Owl Bar & Cafe several times over my time in NM and must say that I really don't get it. I won't be going there any more.

The atmosphere is fairly cool (old rural NM) and its easy to get to off I-25, but seriously, what is it about the Owl Mystic?

This will pretty much surmise my last 3 visits over the past 4 years.

Slow service..... but that's not all too uncommon in rural area's, I can easily get past that, but the food, the quality and the price... not there at all for me.

We start off with a beer, it comes in a while. We order food.... Green Chili Cheeseburgers & Fries.

Here's the thing.... Everytime.... Yup....everytime I've been there the fries come out 10-15 minutes before the burgers ... ??? Generic food service fries. The burger comes out later, a small bun, small patty, tasty green, but only slightly larger than a McDonalds dollar menu burger on a 6 inch plastic plate. It tastes pretty good, but it's priced probably 3x more than it should be. Fries are available anywhere, burger is OK but too small and overpriced.

So for me.... I don't get it. Go anywhere else. If you wanna say you've been there just to say you've been there.... try it out, hopefully it won't be your last meal.

I think the Owl Bar has been coasting on its reputation for far too long. There are other choices.... i.e. the Buckhorn, but that usually has an hour wait to get in... that should tell you something.....

I wish them well. I know there are those who swear by it, although most I've talked to haven't been there in over a decade.... but I don't get it.... Therefore.... I'm done with the Owl Bar & Cafe

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank TCGage
New Mexico
“The Owl Does Breakfast Too!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We love the Owl! We've been here many times for the Green Chile Cheeseburger, but this was our first breakfast. We missed the cut off for breakfast at the fast food joints in Socorro but we still wanted eggs at 11 am. We ordered take-out at the Owl's front counter and our food was ready in less than 10 minutes. We had the egg, bacon and hash brown breakfast burrito, the perfect food to eat while driving! Super-sized and only $3.50 each. Fantastic!

Visited May 2014
Mesa, Arizona
“Who has best green-chili burger?”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

There’s a lively debate over the best green-chili cheeseburger, with 2 of the major contenders across the road from one another in the unlikely spot of San Antonio, NM. This review applies to both the Buckhorn and the Owl; we ate at both on the same day in order to judge. I expected them to be similar; I was surprised to find how different they were. The Owl’s patty has a distinctive flat-top grill look and taste; we both thought it was a tad bit too small. The Buckhorn’s patty was much larger but it lacked personality. We did not see a big difference in the cheese, maybe because it was pretty well obscured by the green chilies at both places. The Owl’s chilies were a standout; definitely not for the faint of heart. Just the right texture, fresh tasting, packing quite a punch. The Buckhorn’s chilies were milder and more tender. Buns were similar quality but the Buckhorn’s did a better job of holding the whole thing together. Had French fries for the side at both places and the Buckhorn was the clear winner in this category. Fresh potatoes, not over-cooked – simply great. Atmosphere is a toss-up; service was a bit better at the Owl. Prices at both are ridiculously cheap for the quality.
And the winner is…….. My partner liked the Buckhorn the best. She liked the thicker patty, the milder chilies, and the way it stayed together when eating. I liked the Owl best. The flavor of the patty (however, next time I’ll go with the double patty option) and the kick from the chilies. Plus, I don’t mind my burger being messy when it’s loaded with goodies. No clear winner and you can’t go wrong with either place.

• Visited May 2014