“Pleasantly surprised, the whole stay!”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Four friends and myself traveled down to get scuba certified. We stayed in a room with 3 queen beds and a pull out sofa bed. The room was huge, with a microwave, refrigerator and brand new 50' TV. The room also had brand new carpet. The hotel has apparently done some major renovations since the pictures on TripAdvisor were posted. It was absolutely wonderful. The owner was so accommodating too. He allowed us to check in early free of charge and was polite and friendly during every interaction. I would highly recommend it. Its not a fancy place, but if you're on a budget like we were, its the best you can get for that price: ANYWHERE. Breakfast was decent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank anna c

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I use Americas Best Value Inns a lot mainly because they have the best Wi-Fi strength and uninterrupted service for downloading/uploading files. I can buy a movie or software files just before bedtime and be assured that it will be completely downloaded by morning. I haven’t been let down yet. I checked into the Santa Rosa NM Americas Best Value Inn on the evening of 26MAR2014. First impressions were excellent. When I opened the door I was greeted by a pleasant but not overpowering or chemical-like smell. The room was older which is typical of this brand, but very clean. On the Southwest Native American style dresser sat a 50” flat with 2 HDMI’s. I eagerly plugged in my desktop to watch my Netflix while typing this review on my laptop. The bathroom was just as clean with older style tiling which I prefer anyway to the linoleum types. The bathtub/shower combo has good pressure and temp which reacts quickly. And most importantly, a spare roll of TP. My only criticism is having to use a chair to see the dials on the high window mounted air conditioner/heater. And I’m 6ft.

Summary: My finding are that Americas Best Value Inns (that I’ve stayed at) are like the snowflake cliché. Each has their own charm and style usually reflecting the local community where it’s located.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Don C
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I picked this hotel because of the other reviews. It is true that it was clean. The desk clerk was very polite and helped us when the desk lamp wouldn't go on (the switch wasn't working) and then moved us to another room. Other reviews say they are renovating, which could be true - we did have new faucets in the sink and tub. But other than that the rest of our room was quite old with lots of peeling and scratched paint, holes in the linens, stains on the furniture. Someone had a dog closed in the bathroom and it scratched the paint off the door as dogs will do.

The bed was comfortable enough and we slept well. The trains were fine in that during the night they kept the horns to a small tap compared to the long loud blast around 10:00. (I like trains anyway).

I worried a bit about safety since it is on the outskirts of town and seemed isolated and unwatched (usually no person was visible at the front desk). We had bikes on a rack on the car that could have easily been removed. But it was all there safe and sound in the morning.

If low price is paramount, then this place is fine. For us, we decided that we would pay a few dollars more to stay in a newer hotel.

Oh, and we liked Route 54 down to Arizona quite a bit - better than going through Albuquerque.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed like they would be fine. All are exposed to the train tracks if that noise wou...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy C
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

After staying in a best value inn the night before and finding a great deal, we decided to give this one a try. From I40 you need to drive through the town but you won't be decided if you keep the following in mind. We stayed in room 115 a nice large king room. You can definitely see they are in remodel mode. I gave it top marks for the cleanliness and spacious room. The clerk was very kind too. The train is across the way but that is not their fault and although I could hear it, it didn't bother us. The heating/air unit is out of reach and I'm 5'8". Be careful in the shower as there isn't any grab tabs in the tub and it becomes quite slippery. The ice machine is in a spooky room but I bet they have plans for that. We plan a return trip from California to Tenn in the summer and will plan our stays in these Inns. Pick up one of their location books and see how they rate themselves. Enjoy your stay!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jimrob1436
Reviewed 11 January 2014

It looks old from the outside but when you get into the rooms they are a lot more modern then you think. The people are really nice, the room was comfortable. You really can not beat the price. If we are in the area again and need a hotel we will stay there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carol M
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My mom and I are traveling from Alabama to California and back and needed a place to stay without wrecking our bank accounts. We got a hotel discount brochure from a rest stop and this hotel was the best deal so I looked up the reviews. The two or three bad reviews were obviously from people that stupidly expected to walk into a Hilton. We asked the guy at the front desk "Are your rooms pretty decent because you had some pretty bad reviews?" he of course said yes and listed off the upgrades made and told us that the review about the refund policy was made from a guy that had stayed 4 hours, slept three of them, showered and then wanted a refund.

The hotel is right off the interstate, it's not in a major city setting but I didn't feel like I was going to get shot or robbed or "in a bad part of town". The room is small but clean. The bedding and couch is very clean and I couldn't have hoped for a better stay on this road trip budget. I have paid more for way less.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank MelissaMmM88
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Travelling through the desert southwest poses a number of challenges during any season. Winter and summer are especially hard on the elderly so since we were travelling with my partners blind 92 year old father in the middle of winter, we stopped for the night earlier then planned in Santa Rosa instead of pushing on east to Tucumcari.

We found America's Best Value Inn and despite it's ramshackle appearance from outside we continued towards registration. The desk clerk (manager) was polite, prompt in getting us checked in and most importantly went out of his way to accommodate a special request to plug-in our RV so the service-animal dogs we had wouldn't have to come in the room. More comfortable for the dogs, easier on the staff the next day.

The staff was busy doing maintenance work when we arrived, and again the next morning as we were leaving it appears that they just re branded the hotel to the AB so hopefully it's even better the next time we pass through.

Fair value, better and cleaner than most Motel 6 locations I have seen. Would recommend this hotel for any budget conscious traveler. Close to train tracks but wasn't heavily used the night we stayed.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business