“It's a swimming hole… and right in town!”
Review of Blue Hole

Blue Hole
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular scuba diving spot in an artisan-fed quarry that measures approximately 60 feet in diameter and 80 feet in depth.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The "Blue Hole" is stunning: Caribbean blue fresh water gushing out in the middle of the dusty, dry desert. I found it a few blocks from my hotel in town, with a busload of kids swimming in it (brrrrr!). I had pictured an isolated feature out in the middle of nowhere, but this serves as a swimming hole for tourists and townsfolk. It is miraculous, and VERY easy to swing off the I40 and see it. Jump in if you're hardy. No charge!

1  Thank agouraserene
There are newer reviews for Blue Hole

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Visited August 2014. The Blue Hole is one of those things I have heard about for many years and finally decided to stop and have a look on the way to Santa Fe. We did have to pay $5 for parking. I am not sure if this was because it was a weekend or if it is a daily fee. We only spent about 20 minutes walking around it. The water is crystal clear! It is not very big at all which surprised me. You can swim in it and people were doing so that day. Scuba divers were also preparing for a dive. Quite popular with the divers from what I have heard.

1  Thank KatzTravels
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stopped on the spur of the moment, just hoping to take a peek. However, this place was so remarkable, our family of four just HAD to dig out our swimwear from our packed bags and take a dip. The cars in the lot seemed evenly divided between out-of-state road trippers like us and devoted NM locals, but it didn't seem too crowded. Even if you don't venture into the crystal clear water, it's fun to watch the jumpers and divers. And, the water is truly a mesmerizing blue. We were so mesmerized, our "quick peek" turned into an extended stop of a couple hours. On a hot, dry day, this backyard-sized hole is a godsend to the weary interstate traveler. There were a number of conscientious lifeguards there, but parents should take a good look at the rock formations with any prospective young jumpers. You know, "look before you leap" really applies here. The stairs leading down into the hole are a little slippery with algae, so proceed with caution. You can stand on a ledge with the water surface at adult torso level, or tread water above the deeper area. I selfishly sent my husband and two young children to the shaded picnic tables while I enjoyed an extended float. (Parents will recognize the importance of maintaining a modicum of serenity during a cross-country trek.). Don't miss this FREE experience. Honestly, it's a wonder this area hasn't been appropriated by some money-grubbing agency and turned into some new age spa retreat. You'll have to make a stop to stretch your legs and find a restroom at some point on your road trip. Pack a lunch and see the Blue Hole!

4  Thank Square-on-Wheels
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was an awesome experience! My kids really wanted to jump off the rocks at the Blue Hole, we all jumped. It was a body shock to hit the freezing cold water. The kids jumped about 5 times each they were too cold to keep jumping. It was really cool, you can see all the way to the bottom!

2  Thank Jacqueline C
Reviewed 21 July 2014

There is a beautiful rock formation with gorgeous blue water. Very deep. Possible to scuba dive here or just jump in for a swim. Water is a chilly 61 degrees. Worth a short drive.

1  Thank Helen V