“great”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
“great”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Cousin and I were very much impressed with El Pueblo. The nice beds with good linens and luxe lotions were minor compared to the fab treatment from the staff. Excellent walking location to the plaza and lots of good places.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Totally enjoyed our time here. Found it by using the reviews on tripadvisor. The room was just as described...comfortable queen-sized beds...plenty of towels and wash cloths...lovely fireplace supplied with wood. A plus for me was that the rooms are all non-smoking, so there was no residual tobacco smoke smell. There were 2 chairs and a small table outside at both the front and back doors. Enjoyed sitting in back where we had complete privacy. The location was great...not too far from the square for shopping and places to eat. Even though it was on one of the main roads, it was very quiet. The continental breakfast was very nice with plenty to choose from. Our first morning we did not get to the breakfast area until almost 9 and I was afraid there would not be much of a variety. However, there was plenty. Coffee and tea are available 24/7. Don't think I mentioned the fresh cookies on the reception counter. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We needed help with our luggage and a large, heavy breathing machine for my friend. The gentleman who helped us did so graciously with a smile on his face. We did not use the fitness center, laundry, or pool (don't think it was opened). I will most certainly stay here again and highly recommend it to everyone. The one thing I would recommend to management (and I already did) is that they add hooks to the inside of the door in the shower/toilet room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Abita
Reviewed 25 October 2013

we stayed here with a group of our friends on motorcycle trip not to long ago. On checking in they had fresh baked cookies, the room are very nice with door to back porch. Each room had two chairs and a table made it really nice to sit outside and enjoy the evening after a day of riding.
The continental breakfast in the morning was really nice too. The hotel is in walking distance to a lot of great shops and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Love this place. A great mix of old style and new. Classic southwest Decor and very friendly and helpful staff. I had a bad Auto accident while I was here and they were very helpful. I've stayed in fancier and more modern places, but I've never felt more comfortable and relaxed on the road then my stay here. I look forward to coming back again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We normally stay in BnBs. Since we don't do much more than sleep in them so we decided to try something different. It was at least $100 less than king rooms at local BnBs. Why spend a $200 more over two nights for likely the same or worse bed and two breakfasts? The location is great. The staff is friendly and helpful. The king room room was large and the bed comfortable. Loved the duvet. The bathroom was a bit dated, but certainly adequate. Lots of hot water. Wonderful towels and I didn't have to ask for an extra to use on my hair. Great parking.

Too chilly to sit out on the shared balcony much at all--we were gone all day. But having coffee out there one morning was quite nice. The lodge even provides wood for the fire. That's a plus. We were expecting to have to buy it from the front desk. Breakfast items were plentiful. I like some protein for breakfast. They had hard-boiled eggs. Didn't like the coffee--tasted like powdered to me. (Coffee snob here) Their selection of teas was very good.

There was an odd smell in the room. I couldn't figure out what it was. Making a fire took care of that. Of course, that would not be helpful in summer. Not a fan of tea-fragranced toiletries. Maybe that was the smell? They're apparently made in China and the website offers no information on the contents. Wishing I'd brought my own soap. I did bring my own shampoo/conditioner and lotion. A soap dish would have been nice, rather than just leaving the soap on the counter next to the sink.

They are pet friendly, reserving rooms for people with pets. Since I'm allergic to dogs, they were quite helpful in suggesting a room that was used for travelers with dogs.

There is a fitness center. We didn't use it. Pool was closed. Understandable due to the time of year.

We'd sure stay here again over chain hotels or BnBs.

Room Tip: Ask for help choosing your room. Corner, upstairs rooms likely to be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. The room was very large and was clean and comfortable. The included breakfast included a large variety of foods. There was cereal, hard boiled eggs, donuts, breads, fresh fruit yogurt. Very nice overall.

• Stayed October 2013
ALBUQUERQUE
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Hadn't stayed here in a long time due to price but decided to try again because Trip Advisor had given it #1 hotel in Taos rating. If you are just looking at location (within walking distance to Taos Plaza, etc.) the Kachina across the road is much cheaper. El Pueblo does offer larger rooms, continental breakfast and has a pool/hot tub. Some of the rooms have fireplaces. If you have a choice do not get the lower level in their two level units - we had to listen to "heavy footed" people going up/down the stairs (just outside our door) all night as well as stomping across the floor above us. Mattress needed replaced - rolled to the inside all night and had backache in the morning. Bathroom had been fitted for handicapped use but could have used some repairs to tile, etc.

Room Tip: Take the upper level if you have a choice - also rooms towards the road will have a lot of traffic n...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple