We spent one night at the La Dona Luz Inn in Taos prior to climbing Wheeler Peak, the highest mountain in New Mexico located about 15 miles away. We chose La Dona Luz as they could accommodate our sleeping arrangements - one couple and two singles. Web site is fine and the reservation process was smooth. Paco, the proprietor, was accommodating beforehand with helping us with a potential luggage issue prior to our arrival. The location couldn't be better, right off the highway and an easy walk to Old Town.
Upon arrival we chatted with Paco and he ran us through the ropes. He's owned the B&B for 24 years. When we advised we'd be departing about 5:30am the next morning and asked if there could be breakfast accommodation he said no, they never get requests like that but if I had let him know beforehand maybe he could have helped. That was a bit off putting but then he said we'd have the run of the kitchen so all was well after all - there was bagels, orange juice, hard boiled eggs, bananas etc. to be had so we were all set.
The room we booked, the Red Willow Suite, had a queen bed and a trundle bed that split into two singles. That was all we needed but it was very cramped for four and felt overpriced ($162 for the night). Paco tried upselling us to a bigger suite with two queens or even two rooms, but that was not of interest.
The suite was attractive but not overly comfortable. The bedroom was very warm all night even with the windows open. A choice of pillows would have been welcome. The 4 cup Mr. Coffee unit in the bathroom was of the Motel 6 variety.
I'm sure we would have enjoyed the B&B more if we had the time to explore it more fully.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delight in the ambience of our quaint and colorful adobe inn. Our rooms are richly decorated in the Taos tradition and feature a large collection of fine art, Native American and Spanish antiques.Located in the heart of the historic downtown area, just a few steps off the old plaza. Recommended by The New York Times and USA Today. Featured on The Travel Channel series "Romantic Inns Of America". "The Essence of Old Taos". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers so you can book your La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Hotel Taos
- La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed And Breakfast
- La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast Taos, New Mexico