“A unique property so different from any other hotel I have ever stayed in before”

and 1 more site!
La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Paco and his lovely family run this very unique B and B in Taos
Every room is different
Ours was a 2 room suite with a gorgeous terrace
It was so comfortable and was decorated with many lovely New Mexico artifacts

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Randim26

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Greeted by Paco who had been doing some renovation work, my first impression of the B&B was a combination of Taos history and 60’s counterculture all mixed into one rambling ensemble of guest rooms. This is not your typical overly polished inn but one that exudes a well-worn patina, certainly lived in and embellished with local art and artifacts.

I was allowed to select my room as the one I had chosen was under renovation. The Santiago Room felt like the large converted living room of a traditional Spanish hacienda, including a fireplace, throne and full size sofa (come to think of it, I never even sat on the throne). I found the room enchanting with its wood and vaulted plaster ceiling and windows that overlooked other adjacent roofs. Unfortunately for me, a very abbreviated stay meant little time to linger, Paco advised with recommendations for both places to walk and also restaurant options.

Breakfast which included some delicious coffee (ready earlier than the scheduled breakfast) was fairly basic as other reviewer suggested but considering the abundance of places to eat in town, I didn’t find this an issue, especially after a large dinner the night before. I grabbed some granola, fruit and coffee and headed to the lovely courtyard which was sunny and teaming with an exuberance of flowers. The colors were surreal and this was a perfect place to spend a relaxing morning.

Paco could not have been more helpful, upbeat, informative and passionate about the history of the B&B, his family’s local roots and the future changes he has planned. For the price I paid I would be more than happy to return again and see what additional improvements will be made. This B&B seems to encapsulate the zeitgeist and history of the town perfectly. Taos certainly isn’t everyday small town America and La Dona isn’t your everyday B&B.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I chose La Dona Luz Inn because I was traveling with my dog, but without my husband, enroute to Albuquerque. I wanted to be in walking distance of restaurants and bars. It was a "stop-over", but after my evening and morning here, I wished I could have stayed. I met other guests at breakfast-it's the kind of place that people invite you to sit with them and visit. When I asked Paco, the owner, for a tour, I received not only a viewing of the lovingly decorated rooms and family treasures, but also a history of his family and the role they played in the history of Taos. Such pride of place and history are reflected in the distinctive rooms and the solicitude to guests.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This place is absolutely wonderful! We have stayed here 3 times. The last time was when my husband and I were married AT La Dona Luz Inn. Paco was so accommodating and welcoming to our wedding party (which rented the place out). We decided to marry there because of our previous wonderful experience there. The place feels like home, is surrounded by beauty and Paco makes you feel like you are apart of the family. We never want to leave once we get there. We wish we could make the trip several times a year. It feels like home. We love La Dona Luz Inn, Paco and the Rainbow Room! I don't think any place on earth does it like they do. :)

Room Tip: The Rainbow room is the best.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had made our third visit to La Donna Luz this past May so forgive me for procrastinating. I LOVE the vintage charm and character of this Inn. We stayed in the La Madonna suite this time and now it is my favorite. I can't imagine a more interesting and comfortable place. Paco is a charming, helpful, and hard working host. I recommend La Donna Luz and will always stay there when coming to Taos.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I've traveled the world, and stayed in 5 stars hotels, and some bug ridden disasters (in Egypt), and this is one of the most charming, filled with art, nicely accommodating, pancakes cooked to order places I've stayed. If you are a diva and controlling and rude, this is NOT the place for you...these are nice people.

Room Tip: Check out the website which gives examples of each of the rooms, and when you are there, take a peek...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My family and I had a wonderful stay at La Doña Luz Inn.
This quaint B&B provides a very clean, uplifting environment full of flowers and color with a Southwestern flare. It's themed rooms are harmoniously decorated, comfortable and well appointed. We loved the 3 level Rainbow suite with its masterful woodwork and great attention to detail. This spacious suite featured a log-beamed high ceiling, full kitchen, dinning room and richly decorated living room with a beautiful fireplace and patio. its very romantic multi level bedroom is truly a must-see and a rare accommodation for a B&B.
We took advantage of the surrounding mountain scenery from its private rooftop retreat, complete with hot tub, and relaxed in its beautiful courtyard.
The Inn's owner was very gracious and informative and our children loved the friendly staff ( they did not want to leave).
The proximity of the Inn to the plaza, it's quaint comfortable accommodations and its superb management present a truly unique travel experience and I highly recommend this Southwestern jewel.

• Stayed: August 2013