“A hidden gem”

La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We spent four nights at La Dona Luz just after Christmas--it was our third stay there and we have reservations for a fourth stay in the fall. I can't imagine a more perfect place to stay in Taos. Hidden down a narrow lane, La Dona is a jewel inside. Each room is decorated differently (we stayed in the Yellow Bird Deer room), beautiful colors an fitted with authentic native art. We lighted a fire in our fireplace two of our evenings there and were so cozy and happy we stayed in with a picnic dinner from Cid's both nights. The breakfast is very good (granola, bagels, blueberry muffins, waffles, etc.) and the company of other travelers has provided us with much good useful information. La Dona is comfortable, beautiful, reasonably priced and is perhaps THE BEST LOCATION IN TAOS.

Room Tip: We like the Yellow Bird Deer room which open onto a patio.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Onnieon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Mission Viejo, CA
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed in The Santiago Room. We thought the room was spectacular. It has very unique pieces of art, some very old. We really liked Paco, the manager. He was very warm and welcoming. We may not stay there again for one reason and one reason only: the breakfast was below par. My husband and I have been to over 50 Bs & Bs over the years and travel very extensively. This B & B does stand out as one of the most beautiful and artistically unique. However, for us it comes apart if the breakfast is not good. We stayed at a Best Western for the next three nights and were sorry to say that the breakfast there was better. If you can overlook breakfast, (maybe even skip it) at this B & B, you will be in for a real treat!

Room Tip: Book the Santiago Room. It is much larger and nicer than the Sonrisa Room, which we saw and passed...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed in the Rainbow Room at La Dona Luz and had a fabulous time. Paco, the innkeeper, was so friendly, funny and accommodating. It was cozy, but roomy, and we logged far more time hanging out in the Rainbow Room than we expected. Two fireplaces, a rooftop hot tub, amazing views from every window. La Dona Luz is in the middle of downtown and great food and drinks are within steps. It was clean, super comfy bed, nice linens, and the decor was amazing-Paco has the story behind each item. We simply loved it and I will never stay anywhere else in Taos!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Three of us stayed in the Rainbow Room over Thanksgiving and it was WONDERFUL! We loved everything about La Dona Luz: the décor, the amenities, the people, the location.The rooftop hot tub has amazing views of all of downtown Taos and the surrounding mountains. La Dona Luz is right on the corner of the main drag--it's walking distance to anywhere downtown, with private parking in the back. Paco and his staff are very friendly and accommodating, and we were very comfortable the entire time. I can't count how many times I said I wished the Rainbow Room was my actual apartment. La Dona Luz will be my go-to every time I go to Taos.

Room Tip: I didn't see any of the other rooms, but the Rainbow Room was perfect for the three of us. The b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Woodland Park, Colorado
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I've stayed at La Dona Luz twice now, and couldn't imagine a trip to Taos staying anywhere else. I searched the local hotels and B&Bs and noplace had the authentic, historic charm of La Dona Luz. Couple that with the incredibly reasonable price and the convenient location across the street from the Plaza, and it becomes a no-brainer.

My first stay was solo, in the Sonrisa room. Bright, charming, with an extraordinary jumbo whirlpool tun and bathroom mural. My husband and daughter accompanied me on our second stay, in the Yellow Bird Deer Suite. LOVED that suite. Huge four-poster bed and an attached sitting room (where my 8-year-old was able to sleep on the twin-sized couch) that opened up to the patio. We loved the colors and the beautiful artwork everywhere.

We also enjoyed chatting with owner Paco, and on my first trip, Paco's father Carlos, who knows a lot of history about the Inn. We definitely plan to stay again on our next trip to Taos!

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cynthia T
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Paco and his lovely family run this very unique B and B in Taos
Every room is different
Ours was a 2 room suite with a gorgeous terrace
It was so comfortable and was decorated with many lovely New Mexico artifacts

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Randim26
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Greeted by Paco who had been doing some renovation work, my first impression of the B&B was a combination of Taos history and 60’s counterculture all mixed into one rambling ensemble of guest rooms. This is not your typical overly polished inn but one that exudes a well-worn patina, certainly lived in and embellished with local art and artifacts.

I was allowed to select my room as the one I had chosen was under renovation. The Santiago Room felt like the large converted living room of a traditional Spanish hacienda, including a fireplace, throne and full size sofa (come to think of it, I never even sat on the throne). I found the room enchanting with its wood and vaulted plaster ceiling and windows that overlooked other adjacent roofs. Unfortunately for me, a very abbreviated stay meant little time to linger, Paco advised with recommendations for both places to walk and also restaurant options.

Breakfast which included some delicious coffee (ready earlier than the scheduled breakfast) was fairly basic as other reviewer suggested but considering the abundance of places to eat in town, I didn’t find this an issue, especially after a large dinner the night before. I grabbed some granola, fruit and coffee and headed to the lovely courtyard which was sunny and teaming with an exuberance of flowers. The colors were surreal and this was a perfect place to spend a relaxing morning.

Paco could not have been more helpful, upbeat, informative and passionate about the history of the B&B, his family’s local roots and the future changes he has planned. For the price I paid I would be more than happy to return again and see what additional improvements will be made. This B&B seems to encapsulate the zeitgeist and history of the town perfectly. Taos certainly isn’t everyday small town America and La Dona isn’t your everyday B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo