“Charm and comfort”

and 1 more site!
La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 February 2014

If you're looking for a taste of the southwest, you can't do better than this. The rooms are beautifully decorated with real art, authentic southwestern architectural details and comfortable spanish/southwestern furniture. The owner, Paco has deep roots in Taos and was a source of some great stories told sitting around the kiva at breakfast, which contrary to a couple of reviews I read here, was really good. Sarah came in each morning, started a fire in the kiva, got some excellent coffee going and made some really nice breakfasts for us. All in all, a really great experience in Taos for us because of the choice we made to stay at La Dona Luz.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "La Madonna." I highly recommend it. The Kiva is great, you have your o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Love everything about this b & b. The cozy fire in the breakfast room, ample choices for the morning meal. Comfy bed and everything clean and warm. Great art, great vibe. Can't wait to return for a longer stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Just spent 6 days at La Dona Luz and cannot believe how lovely it was.

For starters, it is smack in the middle of historic downtown Taos (right across the street from Kit Carson's house and Mabel Dodge Luhan's home is about 4 blocks away as is the historic cemetery.) You can leave your car parked and see the entire area on foot and at your leisure.

The hotel also provides free maps and specific guidebooks regarding Taos. Paco and his family have lived in the area for decades (his grandfather was friends with Mabel Luhan) and his knowledge of the area makes for fascinating conversation.

Parking is limited at the B & B; then again, parking is pretty limited all over town and strictly metered. This is off season so I can only imagine how hard it is to find parking during the summer/peak season. That was a great asset--being situated where I could go on foot.

I figured that being so centrally located would cost me a fortune--what a great surprise to find that not to be the case. The pricing was amazingly reasonable--$94 a night/$104 on weekends--particularly for a place of this caliber. When you figure in a free breakfast every morning, the price is almost unbelievable, especially considering the location and the overall quality of the home.

The B & B is beautiful--filled with incredible artworks and antiques. The rooms are wonderfully clean and each have a theme. I stayed in the Santiago which had a Spanish theme and spectacular views of the mountains and sky to the north and the east. My room had a fireplace kiva; watching cedar wood burning and crackling into the night while looking at the stars was an amazing experience. It also had a couch and several chairs and since I stayed a week, it was nice to have more than a bed. I had real room to spread out and read a book, study the map for my next day's excursion and take a good nap on the couch before watching the Denver Broncos win the AFC. My room also had a flat screen tv/dvd player/refrigerator/microwave and a bathtub with whirlpool jet and beautiful glazed tile.

Breakfast was delicious. Sarah made homemade apple cinnamon muffins and there was fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee, cereals, hot tea, bagels, toast and homemade waffles so I'm not sure what more people expect from a breakfast. I left the table full every morning.

It's cozy, Paco and Sarah are lovely and down to earth, and every amenity you need is provided. Highly recommend La Dona and I fully intend to stay there again. I can't believe how lucky I was to stumble across this place.

Room Tip: See La Dona's Facebook page or website or photos of each room before you book. Second floor is q...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lkwcanine
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This was our first experience staying at a bed and breakfast. Overall we would stay again because the location is perfect and the price is reasonable.

I've read here several complaints about the breakfast. Perhaps other B&B's serve fancy meals. The breakfast has all the basic foods. Yes it is not fancy but it met my expectation....the coffee was good and hot! The owner was great, the other guests were nice, our room was clean.

We stayed in the La Madonna room. The only complaints there were the fireplace is touchy to use and the bathtub jets seemed to not work. But the room was clean with ample space and the beds were very comfortable.

Overall we enjoyed our first experience and would definitely consider this place again on our next trip to Taos.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I so enjoyed our stay at La Dona Luz right after Christmas, and cannot wait to return. We stayed in La Luz, the incredibly cozy little room at the very top of the stairs, from which there are incredible views of the mountains. We particularly loved the cozy little sofa (with PLENTY of light for reading our books in the evenings - quite the contrast from many other lodgings where the lighting is often extremely dim). The room, and the entire inn, is clearly a labor of love, and full of character. Unlike several other reviewers, we found the breakfast to be very adequate (and a very good bargain given the price of the room): it included several cereals, bagels and/or toast, muffins, fruit, excellent coffee, orange juice and milk, homemade waffles made on request, and a delicious egg and cheese casserole one morning of our stay. Nothing fancy - but particularly after eating wonderful dinners the evenings before, we were very pleased. Breakfasts were made even more wonderful by conversations with other guests, which were so enjoyable. Last but not least, Paco is wonderful. We so enjoyed our conversations with him, and left feeling as though we were family. Thank you for a wonderful stay - we cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elenita
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We spent four nights at La Dona Luz just after Christmas--it was our third stay there and we have reservations for a fourth stay in the fall. I can't imagine a more perfect place to stay in Taos. Hidden down a narrow lane, La Dona is a jewel inside. Each room is decorated differently (we stayed in the Yellow Bird Deer room), beautiful colors an fitted with authentic native art. We lighted a fire in our fireplace two of our evenings there and were so cozy and happy we stayed in with a picnic dinner from Cid's both nights. The breakfast is very good (granola, bagels, blueberry muffins, waffles, etc.) and the company of other travelers has provided us with much good useful information. La Dona is comfortable, beautiful, reasonably priced and is perhaps THE BEST LOCATION IN TAOS.

Room Tip: We like the Yellow Bird Deer room which open onto a patio.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Onnieon
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed in The Santiago Room. We thought the room was spectacular. It has very unique pieces of art, some very old. We really liked Paco, the manager. He was very warm and welcoming. We may not stay there again for one reason and one reason only: the breakfast was below par. My husband and I have been to over 50 Bs & Bs over the years and travel very extensively. This B & B does stand out as one of the most beautiful and artistically unique. However, for us it comes apart if the breakfast is not good. We stayed at a Best Western for the next three nights and were sorry to say that the breakfast there was better. If you can overlook breakfast, (maybe even skip it) at this B & B, you will be in for a real treat!

Room Tip: Book the Santiago Room. It is much larger and nicer than the Sonrisa Room, which we saw and passed...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple