“Quaint, Historic, Great Location and Wonderful Service”

Hotel La Fonda de Taos
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Edmond, OK
“Quaint, Historic, Great Location and Wonderful Service”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This boutique hotel was lovely. A lot of history and character, and right on the square so the location is great. I drove from OKC and arrived around 6:30 p.m. The staff was so accommodating and friendly, from check-in to check-out. They suggested a wonderful place for dinner, which was a short walk across the square. I wish I had had more time there. If you want something different from the chain hotels, you need to consider this hotel. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: The room I had faced the square. But, with the ceiling fan above the bed, I didn't hear any nois...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sheryl M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This boutique style hotel in Taos was lovely. I had an Adobe style fireplace in my room. The room was relatively small but had great amenities including ear plugs for those snoring couples. The staff was so friendly from the person who greeted me 10:00 at night to the person who checked me out in the morning. This hotel is situated in the center part of Taos. Great location. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank travelingfool01
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We were supposed to travel to New York City but, between Sandy and the nor'easter, we chose to stay closer to home. Consequently, Taos presented itself as a viable lastl minute getaway.
The location, on the plaza in Taos, can't be beat. The finishes in the room were a bit tired, though, and the price was a bit high for that reason. The restaurant in the hotel closed several years ago so there was no food service within the hotel itself. Nevertheless, it's a charming location in a sweet town. The perfect spot for an overnight getaway.

Room Tip: You don't need to pay extra for a king-size suite unless you need the extra room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Raphjh
Braintree, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 November 2012

A lovely old hotel on the Plaza. Cozy and clean 2 room suite with Kiva fire place was a great place to relax . The hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Location could not be beat. Walking distance to several good restaurants. Looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: 2 rooms in front of hotel have a balconey over looking the Plaza.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mal M
San Francisco
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I will just say "ditto" to the Nancy H review. Only two minor downsides, the shortest route to our room was up a flight a stairs, but a helpful cowboy helped us carry our luggage. I was also disappointed the restaurant was closed for remodeling, but it is set to reopen. No complaints about this wonderful property. Keep in mind it is OLD, but we loved the charm.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LoveToTravel1070
Fredericksburg, Texas
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Last week I enjoyed a lovely room with a view of the Plaza in Taos, New Mexico. My room had a kiva fireplace which was easy to work with a turn of a dial. Everything was within walking distance. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I recommend staying at this lovely hotel. It is so conveniently located.

Room Tip: This is a very old, historic, adobe hotel that has been updated. You may need to climb stairs to ge...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
La Veta, Colorado
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The day after loosing our dog and best friend Rocky of 14 yrs. my wife and I had to get away for a couple of days, Taos being a short drive was our destination. Just wanting to hang out, the La Fonda on the plaza seemed to be just the ticket, walking distance to all we would need, BARS, restaurants, art, shops, etc. We had no reservation, but the friendly desk clerk not only got us a room but upgraded us to a nice King room overlooking the plaza at no extra charge. Room was clean and inviting, the bed was probably as good as I've ever slept in including our own, very comfortable! only con and not that big of a deal to us was the noise off the Plaza, ask for a room further back if this would be a problem. All in all this historic inn is crammed full of great southwestern art, history and a feeling of calm, we'll go back again!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple