Mabel Dodge Luhan House
  • Pool
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
Good 3.5/5
All reviewswilla catherthe main housedennis hoppersteeped in historysolarium roomclaw foot tubtwin bedsperiod furnishingsdh lawrencenew mexicogeorgia o'keeffecarved doorsb bno air conditioningits heydaysurrounding mountainswi fi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2013

My wife and I spent a night in the Austin Room and it was overall a nice experience visiting Taos, but I found the Mabel Dodge Lujan House to be a bit of a disappointment. This is a historic old home that is steeped in history, and the setting is generally attractive and peaceful. The rooms certainly "creak" with authenticity...as in, you can't tip-toe on the floors without making a heck of a noise! I didn't really have issues with the place seeming old...I expected that. But I've stayed in many other historic, older places...and this one felt not only old and historic, but mildly neglected. The bed cover was old and threadbare. The door to the room doesn't stay closed without being locked. (But the screen door slams shut on you, so watch out). I liked that the bathroom had a free-standing tub (although newer)...but the water was either very hot or cold. Never could get a good temp.

The ambiance of the grounds is lovely. There hasn't really been much in the way of landscaping done...it's all just growing kinda wild, but that was fine. It's certainly peaceful there. The buildings are attractive, and I found the main rooms of the house to be very nice. But the staff there, I assume, are not professionals, but some sort of volunteers? (I don't know...but I hope at least that they weren't paid.) The various ladies we interacted with were terse and not terribly friendly. At one point as we were checking out, we asked if we could look at one of their other rooms to consider on a possible return visit. This idea was met with scoffing. "Look at the web site." Well, that is hardly the same...it was the web site that intrigued us enough to want to see the room in person, as it was a more expensive room and we were curious if the views were really worth it. But no customer service.

Breakfast was very tasty, but only served from 8-9. This isn't actually a criticism...with so few guests, it's totally understandable. But just be prepared.

I guess I had hoped for a bit more service and a more welcoming attitude. I was fine, even with the slightly beat-up room...but I wish there had been more smiles.

Room Tip: The Austin room is RIGHT NEXT TO THE OFFICE, so you can hear the ladies working and talking in there all day long. Including while you're in the bathroom...so one assumes they can hear YOU too. I'd try for a different room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RMurray847
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This place is fabulous. It is steeped in history, lovely setting, afternoon snacks, tea and coffee all day, wonderful staff and close to town. The breakfast, served form 7-9 is delicious, inventive, fresh and a chance to meet the other guests who have chose this place to stay. It is a delight.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary-Page
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I cant imagine why one would stay anywhere else but here in Taos. The best breakfast, authentic, historic, charming. I love Mabel's room and Tony's room and the Solarium. The rest, well, less so but still worth for the location and proximity to the Pueblo. I love this place in the winter as much as in the summer-- each for their own reason.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank haleighamma
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I spent a week here in Nov. There were some creaky floors and it was clearly an old (historic) property, but it provided a wonderful get-away for a retreat I attended. It is not a 5 star hotel. It is a B & B that allows you to wander in a historic site with wonderful, comfortable furnishings. I stayed in Tony's room on the second floor. Had a bathroom that was truly awesome. The windows were painted by DH Lawrence in 1929. Breakfast each day was unique and extremely tasty. I would highly recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mary19
Reviewed 30 December 2012

A fascinating quirky sprawling old house, rich with history. Originally the home of Mabel Dodge Luhan who was a New York socialite that married a full-blooded Navajo, together they built this house next to the Indian lands, and introduced many famous writers, artists, and photographers to Taos as well as hosting them in her own home for extended periods -- Georgia O'Keefe, DH Lawrence, the list is nearly endless. The house has been lovingly preserved and now hosts many retreats and workshops as well as individuals. Exceptionally friendly staff, awesome breakfasts, easy walking distance to many restaurants and shops and the Plaza. I can't imagine a better place to stay in Tao, but... If you are a fan of luxury accommodations with room service and TVs and telephones - this is not the place for you. There is no one around at night except the guests and the atmosphere is quite relaxed -- you can go to the living room in the evening, build your own fire in the fireplace, and read, daydream, or do your email. Ask for the Solarium room, wake up to 360 degree views of the desert, the mountains, and the special blue of the Taos sky. Simply unique, not to be missed, a way to taste what it might have been like in the Old Taos.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the Solarium - absolutely unique.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple