This is not your average hotel or B&B. About 5-10 minutes' walk from the center of Taos, the Mabel Dodge Luhan House is rustic and very evocative of its own fascinating history. It was wonderful for a few nights' stay; more than that and the quirks might become tiresome.
I stayed in the solarium, an entirely glass-walled room on the third, top floor of the house. To reach it, you take a low-ceilinged stairway (watch your head!) to the second floor, followed by a very steep, narrow stairway. Hauling luggage up was an adventure. I shared the D.H. Lawrence bathroom, with windows painted by the author, which is down the steep, narrow stairway...not so fun in the middle of the night. There are no window shades in the solarium, so you're up at dawn to watch a stunning sunrise over the mountains - the house backs on undeveloped Pueblo territory, so there is nothing to impede the view. We heard roosters crowing and coyotes howling to greet the dawn. The lack of shades made the room too warm to stay in during the day, though. Other rooms we saw in the main house, including Tony's and Mabel's on the second floor, were appointed more luxuriously, with easier bathroom access.
Breakfast was a tasty buffet, usually an egg dish, baked goods, oatmeal and fresh fruit, accompanied by conversation with the artsy fellow guests. The grounds included a swing hung over a stream and a patio with picnic tables and fireplaces.
It's certainly well worth staying here once, and I would stay again, more likely in a ground- or second-floor room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quiet, rambling adobe hotel that was once the heart of the Taos literary scene, and whose former owner enticed D.H.Lawrence to move to Taos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mabel Dodge Luhan House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mabel Dodge Luhan House Hotel Taos
- Mabel Dodge Luhan House Taos, New Mexico